Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cagilbert Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121481  
Subject: Keogh vs. SEP Calcs Date: 4/14/1999 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
According to Turbotax (and I assume the IRS and other tax programs) I calculate the Keogh from the self-employment income from the Schedule SE net profit/less. However, the SEP is calculated from the next line which is the net profit/loss * 92.35%. Why is this?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RIBBIT1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15172 of 121481
Subject: Re: Keogh vs. SEP Calcs Date: 4/30/1999 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
To exclude from you amount eligible for Keohg AGI adjustment the 1/2 AGI deduction you get from SE taxes. The combined percent for FICA and medicare is 15.3. This divided by 2 is 7.65. 1 minus 7.65% = 92.35%. This is a bit confusing, and doesn't work when earnings are above the threshold amount when you are not longer liable for FICA but still have to pay medicare, which has no ceiling. It's safer to use 1/2 SE taxes for the adjustment. I know this is a bit confusing, but then, we are talking about Federal Income taxes. I hope this helps.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement