UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: overo One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: keogh/profit sharing plan??? Date: 1/5/2000 10:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the Fool. I've been reading and learning like crazy for 3 months or so.
I'm now in charge of our finances, and here's my problem.

My husband set up a 401K (I thought) through his work. I was fine (very happy!) with that.
It turns out that it's a keogh profit sharing plan.
What in tarnation is this exactly???

What is the maximum he can contribute to it yearly?

What's the best time schedule to contribute?

I asked for all the paperwork regarding this fund, and found he had gotten into a Vanguard BOND market index fund. Does anyone else out there have this, and what's the attraction if you do? I want to switch it asap to a Vanguard STOCK market index fund, like the ones I've read such glowing emails about.

Please, if you can give me some input of any kind it would be GREATLY appreciated!

A newly out of debt Fool(Happy dance!!), but now for the next challenge - planning for retirement down the road!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give...
Tisha

P.S., the total in this fund dropped by 27.64 for the past year. That makes for a crabby investor...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17421 of 75340
Subject: Re: keogh/profit sharing plan??? Date: 1/6/2000 7:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Tisha, and welcome. You asked:

<<My husband set up a 401K (I thought) through his work. I was fine (very happy!) with that.
It turns out that it's a keogh profit sharing plan.
What in tarnation is this exactly???

What is the maximum he can contribute to it yearly?>>

A Keogh is a qualified retirement plan for the self-employed. For a general description, see my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm. You should also read IRS Publication 560 (Retirement Plans for Small Business) available at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/index.html. Both will give you a good overview that should answer your questions.

Regards..Pixy

Author: Bobbcat Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17453 of 75340
Subject: Re: keogh/profit sharing plan??? Date: 1/6/2000 6:55 PM
What is the maximum he can contribute to it yearly?

What's the best time schedule to contribute?

The above questions are both plan specific. Have hubby ask the office manager/boss handling the plan.

---------------------------------------

the total in this fund dropped by 27.64 for the past year. That makes for a crabby investor...

During a time of rising interest rates, which was 1999, bond funds lose value. However, that seems to be a poor return even for a bond fund in 1999.

*Cat

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement