Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122842  
Subject: Keough deduction question Date: 4/10/2000 3:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi fellow tax-toilers,

we are doing our own taxes for the first time since we've had Keough accounts. We are both self employed & unincorporated.

I downloaded IRS pub. 560 from their website, and if anyone is knowledgeable about this topic, I would appreciate your insight. On page 18 of pub 560, I see the
"Deduction Worksheet for Self-Employed"

The example above the 'worksheet' says: "You are sole proprietor and have employees".

My question is: does anyone know if this formula still applies to me if I am self employed, the sole proprietor of my business AND I am the ONLY employee? (bolded just so you can find the point of this long msg)

The formula:Step 1: enter your rate from the 'Rate Table' ....(since my plan contribution amt is 20% of net earnings, my 'rate' is .166667.)

Step 2: enter your net earnings (net profit) from line 31, sched. C, form 1040. (I did this)

Step 3: Enter your deduction for self-employment tax from line 27, form 1040. (I did this)

Step 4: Subtract step three from step 2 and enter result. (Did it)

Step 5: Multiply step 4 by step 1 = (did it)

Step 6: multiply $160,000. by your plan contribution rate. enter the result, but not more than $30,000.

Step 7: Enter the smaller of step 5 or step 6. This is your MAXIMUM DEDUCTIBLE CONTRIBUTION. Enter deduction on line 20, Form 1040.

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this question!
Trisha

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fernkiller Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33990 of 122842
Subject: Re: Keough deduction question Date: 4/10/2000 4:35 PM
See if this helps. Just take your net income from self-employment, subtract your deduction for 1/2 of the Self-employment tax, and multiply that by 20%.

Suppose you had $50,000 in net income, and you had a $6000 deduction for the SE tax. Subtract $3,000 (1/2 your deduction for the SE tax) from $50,000, and you get $47,000. Take 20% of that, and you get $9,400. That would be your Keogh contribution. You should get to the same number by walking through the IRS's procedure, but doing it that way it is very hard to see what is really going on. Perhaps someday the tax programs will address this problem. Every time I discover an overlooked business deduction that lowers my net income, I have to manually re-calculate the Keogh contribution. And, you don't want to over-contribute.

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34005 of 122842
Subject: Re: Keough deduction question Date: 4/10/2000 6:44 PM
Hi Fernkiller, and thanks for your reply, pasted in part below....

Just take your net income from self-employment, subtract your deduction for 1/2 of the Self-employment tax, and multiply that by 20%......

That would be your Keogh contribution. You should get to the same number by walking through the IRS's procedure, but doing it that way it is very hard to see what is really going on.

Yes, I realize this is how to calculate my contribution, but is the tax DEDUCTION for the contribution exactly the same number as the amount of the CONTRIBUTION?, or do I need to use the formula multiplying the AMOUNT of CONTRIBUTION by a deduction rate, i.e. .166667, to find the deduction permitted?
Thanks! Trisha

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34142 of 122842
Subject: Re: Keough deduction question Date: 4/12/2000 4:59 AM
<< My question is: does anyone know if this formula still applies to me if I am self employed, the sole proprietor of my business AND I am the ONLY employee? >>

Yes. See the discussion on page 12, which refers you to the Appendix, the table, and a worksheet.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34344 of 122842
Subject: Re: Keough deduction question Date: 4/14/2000 8:26 PM
Thanks TMF ExRO!
It seems that TurboTax figures it out on its own, also, but I will compare the results.
many thanks to you both.
Trisha

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement