Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pdion Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 112  
Subject: Re: Checking in Date: 4/24/2004 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Key has been rumored to be a takeover candidate for the last 5+ years and believe me I would love to see it happen. Management needs a good shake up! From time to time there is a brief and I mean brief run up in the stock price but it always falls back. The company has always paid a nice dividend which is its saving grace. The earnings are relatively flat with no real top line growth. Expenses seem to be in control although in years past they were incredibly out of line. Once the Directors finally woke up to that fact the company went through several acronyms to bring expenses in line. Those programs have been reasonably successful. Relative to its peers Key is a laggard. Unfortunately Key is spread out geographically and except for a few cities in stagnant or declining markets they don't have any significant "market share." On the other hand they have been innovative in a number of areas which have certainly helped maintain earnings such as Leasing, Real Estate, Asset Management and On-line Banking. I briefly listened to this quarter's conference call and it sounded like the increase in earnings came from a one time sale that took advantage of rates but it was emphasized that it was a one time occurence. However, they said the bank is well positioned when and if rates rise. While the quarters numbers looked good they certainly pale when compared against many of their peers who continually post extraordinary numbers!

I don't think you can get hurt with Key but don't look for any significant appreciation unless they get real lucky and find a suitor willing to pay up! Keep thinking dividend yield. I think the most likely buyer of Key will be a foreign bank wanting to add a significant presence in the US.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement