UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190788  
Subject: Keyboard Malfunction Date: 12/5/2012 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Patient: Sony Vaio laptop, VGN-FW550F (about yrs old) running Win7 64-bit

Symptoms:
The (laptop's) keyboard is malfunctioning on the primary, administrator account. Pressing one key on the keyboard produces a different character on the screen. This happens across applications (MS Office, FF, etc.) Examples of the changes:
u-4
i=5
o=6
p=*
[=linespace
j=1
k=2
l=3
;=-

Diagnostics:

1) Another (non-admin) account has no problems (suggesting to me that this isn't a hardware problem)

2) I went to Device Manager, deleted the keyboard, and reloaded the driver (through the boot sequence). The problem remains and is still on only the admin account.

Research:
The instances I've been able to find like this suggest creating another account. This seems like a really big pill to swallow. Sure data will be easy to move but all the other things...

I'd really like to solve the problem in place so to speak without going through all that. Ideas on how to proceed would be very much appreciated!

BG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182789 of 190788
Subject: Re: Keyboard Malfunction Date: 12/5/2012 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
turn off num lock

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182790 of 190788
Subject: Re: Keyboard Malfunction Date: 12/5/2012 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
Oh gawd....thanks.

I must have somehow hit doing something or picking up the laptop. I've not used NumLock before so I didn't even think of it.

THANK YOU!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement