UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFWiley Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 88947  
Subject: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/3/2000 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Just wanted to officially let Fools know that keyboard navigation was added to the boards as part of the last release. Hurray!

That's right folks, you can now cruise from message to message without the use of your mice (mouses, meeces, whatever).

The following browsers are supported:

IE 4 & 5 for PC
Netscape 4 and above for PC and Macintosh

Sorry to those of you who's favorite browser or OS is not listed above. We implemented this feature for every major platform that supports it.

The special sauce is as follows:

Enter and period go forward.
Backlash and comma go backward.

Hope you enjoy this addition to your boards reading adventures. Please let me know about any problems or suggestions for improvement of this new feature.

Just Fool It!
Todd
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFRadish Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8380 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/3/2000 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Enter or Return (on the Mac) and period (>) go forward.
Backslash (\) and comma (<) go backward.

Very cool feature!

Phil
TMFRadish

Author: njbagelusa One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8381 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/3/2000 8:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
TMFWiley Wrote:

Hi Todd,

I like the idea of keyboard navigation. Like I said in a previous post, all the keys mentioned above are on the RIGHT side of the keyboard. Most righties will still hold their mouse in their right hand and use their left hand for keyboard navigation. That is why it would be nice to have the navigation keys on the LEFT side as well. Why not add X for forward and Z for backward? Does anyone else agree, or am I just too lazy to reach across the keyboard??

njbagelusa@netscape.net

Author: UPSer One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8382 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/3/2000 8:44 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I asked about this back on 11-16-99 and for the first time on 2-3-00 went back to check the "Improve the Fool" board and there it was. Must have been fate. I do computer graphics and my right wrist kills, so this is going to be great.

>>>Enter and period go forward.
>>>Backlash and comma go backward.

Author: UPSer Number: of 8380
Subject: Using Alt Keys to go Next or Prev Date: 11/16/99 2:14 PM

Question:
>>I've been trying to find a way to use the keys to go to Next or go to Prev. Usually one of the letters in the word will be underlined and you can use that key with the alt key to perform that function. If there is a way to do that, please email me with the directions. If not, please take that into consideration for your next upgrade.<<

Response:
{{I don't believe you can do this. This would be an excellent suggestion to make on our Improve the Fool message board in the Information Desk folder. Just hit Messages on the home page to see a list of folders.}}

Thank you so much for your consideration.

UPSer

Author: TMFWiley Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8386 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/3/2000 11:43 PM
njbagelusa writes:
Most righties will still hold their mouse in their right hand and use their left hand for keyboard navigation. That is why it would be nice to have the navigation keys on the LEFT side as well. Why not add X for forward and Z for backward? Does anyone else agree, or am I just too lazy to reach across the keyboard??

I do recall your earlier post. Thanks for bringing this up again. I am anxious to hear what others think of the idea. Lefties might also like to have some navigation controls on the left side of the keyboard. One thought I had was that if we used X and Z it might not leave us room for additional thread navigation keys on either side of them. Fools might want to add that later for threaded mode. I'd like to get as much input as possible since many people will be using this tool. So thanks again for your comments, and please keep 'em coming.

Fool On,
Todd

Author: JuliaGoolia Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8387 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/4/2000 1:18 AM
So thanks again for your comments, and please keep 'em coming.

This is a most fabulous feature!!! I can really zip through messages now! My poor finger and wrist will be feeling soooo much better.

Many times I had somewhat subconciously wished for something like this. Add this to FAQs everywhere! Everyone will want to know. Or maybe just put a little note on the main messages board for a few days for the regulars to find.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

Julia

Author: MakeItJake Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8391 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/4/2000 9:04 AM
Re: Keyboard navigation: Many thanks! Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jake
There's a 40% chance that I'm a meteorologist.

Author: UPSer One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8396 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/4/2000 12:23 PM
>>>Enter and period go forward. Backlash and comma go backward.

I've found on IE 4.0 that just using ONE key works; the period (>) moves you next, and the comma (<) moves you back. You don't have to worry about holding down the other key or hitting them both at the same time.

Author: TMFWiley Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8399 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/4/2000 4:07 PM
UPSer writes:
I've found on IE 4.0 that just using ONE key works; the period (>) moves you next, and the comma (<) moves you back. You don't have to worry about holding down the other key or hitting them both at the same time.

Oops. I should have said enter or period goes forward and backslash or comma goes back. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Fool On!
Todd

Author: LizSmithe Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8401 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/4/2000 8:28 PM
I love the keyboard navigation. I turn the num lock off and use the pg down and enter on the number pad. It works great, just takes two fingers to catch up on reading messages.

Thanks,
Liz

Author: Ibiwisi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8908 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 2/23/2000 8:38 PM
Let me add my humble voice to the crowds: Thank you, Thank you for keyboard navigation!!

I especially like LizSmithe's technique of two-fingered board browsing.

It just gets better and better....

-- Ibiwisi

Author: poojapullman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12901 of 88947
Subject: Re: Keyboard Navigation is Here Date: 11/1/2000 1:12 PM
There is another way of doing it. Alt and Forward arrow moves the page forward and Alt and Backward arrow moves the page backward.
Thanks
Pooja Pullman

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement