Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I saw that InXile is working on making Wasteland 2 and they are going to be putting it on Kickstarter for crowd/fan funding. One of the recent success stories is the amount of money raised for Double Fine Adventures. Their initial goal was $400,000 and they surpassed it by 5X by hitting over $2.2 million.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?ref=foo...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adv...

It will be interesting to see how Wasteland 2 does. Hope its better than the remake of Bard's Tale, although I have never played either the original or the remake. The remake was hated by critics and fans alike. It's probably like kissing your high school sweetheart at your 20 year reunion, "What was I thinking, bleh!"

I guess it's never too late to make a sequel, hopefully it won't take that long to get HL2: Episode 3 or No One Lives for Ever 3 to be published.

C2H5SH
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been eagerly awaiting each update Tim gives on double fine adventure; they are hilarious.

This, along with Notch's pledge, gives me hope that we will actually see psychonauts 2 in the near future...oh how I loved the first one.
They are close to launch Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter.

Pledge $15 (unlimited)
Copy of game free via Steam for PC. You will also get a special skill and weapon only available to those who helped fund the project.

Pledge $30 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Downloadable free digital soundtrack of the game.

Pledge $50 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Full large boxed copy of Wasteland 2, complete with cloth game map and old school comprehensive instruction manual.

Pledge $75 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + Early release episodic Novella’s on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game. Also, get premier access to an early playable beta on Steam

Pledge $100 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + collector’s edition boxed version of game with in-game soundtrack, old school comprehensive instruction manual with back story. Contains premium box, wasteland miniature, and a Wasteland 2 faction badge. Also get your name the credits in a Special Thanks section.

Pledge $150 (unlimited)
Previous rewards +a limited edition numbered collectible coin.

Pledge $250 (1000 max)
Previous rewards + Autographed boxed collectors edition copy of the game by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish, Mike Stackpole and other key development team members. You will also receive 2 digital download copies (so you can leave your collectors edition sealed up!) and a lvl 1 Desert Ranger medal of honor (real metal medal) limited edition collectible.

Pledge $500 (500 max)
Previous rewards + Wasteland Doomsday Preparation Survival Kit. All your doomsday needs in a themed Wasteland collectible bag. You’ll also receive a lvl 2 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $1000 (150 max)
Previous rewards + Become an NPC, Weapon or Location in the Wasteland 2 world! We will get your name and (if relevant) a picture of you to add your general likeness to the actual shipped game. Brag to your friends and beg them not to take you out with a Meson Cannon. You’ll also receive 5 digital copies of the game and a lvl 3 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $2500 (100 max)
Previous rewards + An exploded blood sausage Wasteland limited signed and numbered collectible figurine. You’ll also receive 10 digital copies of the game to do what you want and of course, a lvl 4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $5000 (15 max)
Previous rewards +We will build a statue in game, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lvl 5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $10,000 (8 max)
Previous rewards + Come to a private party hosted by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish and other key members of the Wasteland team (must be able to travel to Newport Beach, CA). Talk design, previous works or anything else you’d like to discuss. Also, a shrine in Wasteland 2 will be erected in your honor. You’ll receive 50 copies of the game to do what you want, and of course, a lvl 6 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...

$1000 donation and higher gets you an NPC named after you in the game.
$5000 donation gets a statue made of you in game.
$10,000 donation gets a shrine made for you in game.

How cool is that for posterity?

I'm still trying to figure out what I was doing when the first one came out.

C2H5SH
Wasteland 2 is on Kickstarter
$584,000 pledged so far and the goal is $900,000.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

C2H5SH
Up to $691k now. In the few minutes I spent reading about it it went up $1k. That seems a little insane. These guys will more than reach their goal.

I'll be funding it for the $15 digital copy. WTH not?

Simon
Up to $691k now. In the few minutes I spent reading about it it went up $1k. That seems a little insane. These guys will more than reach their goal.

$715K when I just clicked over. After the overwhelming response to DoubleFine, and now this, I would expect to see a lot more Kickstarter campaigns....

Albaby
I haven't decided yet. I was going to give whatever my portfolio went up today, but its down. :-( I could have given whatever my stocks were up yesterday, but I already spend that on something else. ;-)

I surprised the government hasn't tried kickstarter. Which kind of reminds me of the story of Colorado Springs a couple of years ago when its citizens refusing to raise their local taxes. The city started shutting down services and extorting people to pay for services that they took for granted. Want your street lit up at night? Send check for $200 to city hall. Want the grass mowed and the garbage picked up in the park across the steet? Send check for $500 to city hall. The could have just put these on kickstarter to funded the whole city.

C2H5SH
No. of Recommendations: 6
Pledge $5,000 or more

4 Backers • Limited Reward (6 of 10 remaining)

Previous reward + We will BUILD A STATUE, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lv5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible. (for the game, you'll get 1 signed collectors edition and 30 digital copies

I think David G, should pledge this and use the Motley Fool jester for the statue. That would be awesome in game advertising for the Fool. ;-)

Then distribute the 30 copies among the regulars of the Computer and Video Gamers board. :-)

C2H5SH
They hit the mark over night and are closing in on the $1 million mark. Here is the breakdown on each level of contribution starting from the big spenders.

$10,000 X 8 = $80,000 (closed)
$5000 X 6 = $30,000 (4 spots left, David?)
$2500 X 0 = $0 Exploded Blood Sausage Figurine not a big hit
$1000 X 96 = $96,000 Get yourself in the game is a big hit(4 spots left)
$500 X 49 = $24,500
$250 X 455 = $113,750
$150 X 166 = $24,900
$100 X 2052 = $205,200
$75 X 360 = $27,000
$50 X 1635 = $81,750
$15 X 9014 = $135,210

16,588 people gave $957,437 or the equivilant of one average Wall Street Bonus.

C2H5SH <- Look for Ethyl in game, ;-)
Wasteland has hit $1.7 mil and has 17 days to go. This was announced today:

We have announced a major piece of good news today that inXile has reached an agreement with Obsidian for potential design assistance for Wasteland 2. What that means is that Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Avellone, is going to work with our team on the design and writing of the game! It is important to note that we say "potential" as they will come aboard assuming we hit $2.1 million in funding. The good news is that we have already seen a spike in just the few hours since this was announced in a press release this morning.

For those of you who don't know who Obsidian or Chris Avellone are, they are the bulk of the brains who worked on Fallout 1&2, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment when I was back at Interplay. More of the band is back together to make sure we bring you a fantastic RPG. Chris is going to help push the density and literary content of the game.

The original Wasteland was an important game to Chris as he recently stated, "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual predecessor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

While the programming work will remain with us here at inXile, we are looking to use a host of tools that Obsidian has created which will help us get assets into the game faster. The faster we can implement and iterate on content, the deeper the game and the more varied choices the gamers can make.

That’s more good news for all of you that put your faith in us.

Brian Fargo

Brian Fargo also pledged 5% of the games profits would be going back to Kickstarter.

C2H5SH
I've subscribed to Wasteland 2 and hope them all luck in their endeavour. However, knowing some titles take multiple millions to make these days what is reasonably possible with a $2 million budget? I presume voice acting, out-of-game-engine cutscenes and using a modern game engine are all out the window. So what will we see from these sorts of games?

I'd love to know what the licencing fees are for say the Mount & Blade, Crysis and frostbite 2 engines. I also presume marketing and promotion will be handed to a publisher for a fee. What else needs to get done?

Simon
Wasteland 2 finishes with $2,933,252. Should be a great big Wasteland.

C2H5SH
I thought this speech by Brian Fargo at the Unite conference to be interesting. A lot about indie gaming and crowd funding.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2ia7K25iU&feature=plcp

C2H5SH
In case anyone has not seen this, Obsidian launches the Project Eternity on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternit...

They hit the $1.1mil goal in about a day and a half.

What really amazes me is how successful a lot of the miniatures and board games are. Here is a little run down on the successful projects in the gaming category.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/most-fu...

1. Ouya console - $8.6mil
2. Reaper Bones Miniatures - $3.4mil
3-6. Double Fine, Wasteland2, Planetary Annihilation, and Shadowrun Returns are video games in the $1.8-$3.3mil range.
7-10. Sedition Wars, Ogre, Relic Knights, and Zombicide are all board or miniature games and have each raised just short of a million a piece.

One item that isn't in the gaming category although it could be is the Oculus Rift(VR headset for gaming) which raised $2.4 mil.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-s...

C2H5SH
In case anyone has not seen this, Obsidian launches the Project Eternity on Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternit......

They hit the $1.1mil goal in about a day and a half.

This might be a good way for developers to get around the executive who says 'People don't like that sort of game anymore'. This usually translated to, 'We made crap games to cash in on a trend and the trend went away'. Ok, crap anything. Disney said that people no longer wanted to see hand drawn animation anymore because everyone was watching Pixar movies and not their movies. Trouble was, by the time they said that they had been producing awful animated movies for a while. Brother Bear might have been a decent movie, but Finding Nemo came out that year.

So good for Obsidian for finding a way to make the game they want to make and not have to worry about a lot of focus grouped feedback. Also, they don't have to worry about the executive demanding a multiplayer mode.

Ford
Advertisement