Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2767  
Subject: Kickstarter: Zombicide Date: 6/21/2012 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/zombicide

Hi all,

Back in May I heard about this Kickstarter project. It looked interesting, the game looked fleshed out, and it presented well. The team needed a way to lower the unit cost so they used Kickstarter for "pre-orders" of a sort. I backed at the $100 level to get all the goodies but ended up paying an addition $25 for shipping. It's a pretty expensive game at that point. It better be good.

And herein lies the problem. I've paid $125 for a game nobody has reviewed or play tested outside of the developers. I read elsewhere someone brought up this concern and said a publisher would have it play-tested to the nines before releasing it. That's when I got worried. Everything looks good but no 3rd party has looked at the game.

Kickstarter it a funny thing that way. I think I must have just got "caught up in it" to pay $125 on a gamble when I could have bought so many other very good and very well reviewed games. I guess I'm a sucker for zombies!

Anyway, just thought I'd mention the story and I'll let you know if it's any good.

Simon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2719 of 2767
Subject: Re: Kickstarter: Zombicide Date: 10/11/2012 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So I received my copy of Zombicide over a month ago. It's big. Then with the extras it overflows the box. The first thing I did was take a look at everything and my immediate impression was that the miniatures, while detailed, sucked.

Any game with minis has to have good minis and these ones were horribly bland. A boring, cheap looking grey. Certainly not very terrifying. So my two daughters and I headed over to our nearest mall where a Games Workshop is located. I don't know a thing about what goes on in there except that it involves painting minis. So we went in and talked to to the guy about techniques and colours we might need. My eldest was interested in painting them too. So $100 later and a few painting sessions and everything looks great. Heck, even simply priming them black helped! So now we have painted minis.

I've played the game now a few times and I must say, it's good fun. It's about managing kills and the zombies' location. And it is tense. The initial perceived problem though is that the game is scenario based and it only came with something like 10 of them. Well, shortly after the game was released they gave away the scenario editor and we've seen a bunch of other good ones plus Guillotine Games have also released 4 other official ones.

As for the play testing, or lack thereof, the only real evidence of this is in the scenarios. Some are completely impossible and others are so broken they are easy (there is a list of which are which). With the proclivity of other scenarios this isn't a real concern for me.

Overall, the game is exciting, good to look at (though the cards are just a little too small), and fun. My group has enjoyed it as a lighter game (comparing to Arkham Horror) and it has joined the rotation. While it could be an Alpha-dog game where one player just directs the others, learning it all together seems to have prevented that. Plus that's not something we generally do.

Simon

Author: TMFSpiffyPop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2720 of 2767
Subject: Re: Kickstarter: Zombicide Date: 10/12/2012 1:36 AM
Recommendations: 0
This was a pretty big Kickstarter release, as I recall (hadn't looked back at the numbers). I have heard that there are can be just a ton of miniatures on the board, which can sometimes slow the game down later on.

For me, when it comes to zombies -- and I'm not really a big zombie guy -– I have really enjoyed the Last Night On Earth release from Flying Frog.

Excellent review and reactions, Simon -- thanks for sharing!

--David

P.S. Recent buys for me have included Trajan, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and the Cities expansion for 7 Wonders. Oh, and of course Dark Ages for Dominion....

Author: BlazerMania Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2721 of 2767
Subject: Re: Kickstarter: Zombicide Date: 10/15/2012 7:06 PM
Recommendations: 0
P.S. Recent buys for me have included Trajan, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and the Cities expansion for 7 Wonders. Oh, and of course Dark Ages for Dominion....

There's a new Dominion release?!? How did I miss that? There goes the weekend...

Fletch

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement