Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been putting away money for my young son's for several years in separate mutual fund UTMA accounts (one for each). To be honest I have never reported there earnings to the IRS as I could never figure out what forms etc. I also knew that they have not earned over $650. per year and they are both under 14 so no taxes would be due anyway correct?
This always drives me crazy at tax time as I know I should be reporting this income. My income is such that they will not be eligible for student loans... So my question is how do I report this income? Do I need to file a return for each of my sons? I have read the Kiddie tax section and it is still not clear to me. Thanks very much.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.