UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Following the Fine Dining thread, here's another 'trend' that I've noticed this year: We've been invited to four weddings this year - three of them have been invites addressed just to DH and me, no mention of the kids.

I don't know what's going on - we welcomed kids when we got married and I've been to lots of weddings before we had kids where kids were invited. One wedding is an out of town wedding that we're going to have to pass on because we can't go without our kids and I'm tempted to write on the decline card that we can't go because we don't have an out of town sitter to watch them. The whole thing seems ridiculous (I should add that our kids are very well behaved but I'm smart enough to sit in the back and take them outside if they were to make noise during the ceremony...)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38998 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Its likely about the $$ at the reception, nothing to do with the ceremony. We invited the kids of family members but not the kids of others... Luckily there were only a few cases and those people were more than happy to get a night out and leave the kids with a sitter.

---Meals for the kids were not ( in our case) any cheaper than the adult meals...

As for the out of town wedding, if you really want to go the bride may have thought about arraingments for others with kids and has a sitter lined up for others. Might be worth a phone call.

Author: StBridgit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38999 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 12:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
One wedding is an out of town wedding that we're going to have to pass on because we can't go without our kids and I'm tempted to write on the decline card that we can't go because we don't have an out of town sitter to watch them.

I totally understand your predicament. We had a similar situation arise, but it was my sister's wedding and I was the matron of honor so bowing out was not going to be possible. My sister was adamant that they didn't want any children at their wedding. The way she explained it was due to the behavior of her husband-to-be's niece, who is very spoiled and quite bratty. They "did not want to deal with her and her parents' family drama on their wedding day", so they laid down a blanket "no kids" policy.

It was quite annoying, as we had to find childcare for our daughter (age 18 months) during their ceremony and reception (in the evening) at their destination wedding. We ended up arranging for my ILs, who were planning a visit anyway, to come to the destination with us and babysit our DD during the wedding. Needless to say, this was considerably expensive for all involved. I still privately think that my sister and her husband made a mountain out of a molehill, but it was their wedding day and they had the right to say who was invited.

We invited kids to our wedding, and it added to the fun of the evening. The parents were well able to remove their children when they were misbehaving, and I don't remember a single disruption due to a child. So I don't understand it myself. Our policy now is that we send regrets to wedding invitations that exclude children, and for which it would not be easy for us to obtain a sitter. I think that people who make these types of hardline requests are well aware that they could be excluding guests by doing so.

My 2 cents,
StB.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39000 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 12:20 PM
Its likely about the $$ at the reception, nothing to do with the ceremony.

In our case, I have a 6 month old (who wouldn't be eating) and a 2 year old (who could eat off my plate). I can see the costs adding up for older kids tho...

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39002 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 12:51 PM
Recommendations: 21
I should add that our kids are very well behaved but I'm smart enough to sit in the back and take them outside if they were to make noise during the ceremony

Everyone thinks their kids are well behaved and they'll be responsible parents and remove their kids if a problem occurs. Often one or the other or both are not true.

PSU

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39003 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 11
I fall into the "the host foots the bill, the host makes the rules" side of equation. The host isn't required to include children, or let the truly single people bring a date, or provide alcohol.

Every year I plan the hospital holiday party. We're feeding over a hundred people at a nice restaurant, and it's completely free. We pay for each staff member and one guest's meal. Every year I have someone complaining "why can't I bring my kids". We're already paying for you and your date, now that's not enough? The one year we got a family friendly venue and allowed people to bring their whole family, we got complaints that people had been "looking forward to a chance to dress up and have a nice night out" and that the food wasn't as good. (Duh, we had to feed more people with the same budget and find a place where children would have fun.) So no matter what, someone is going to hate the plan.

Lara Amber

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39004 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
I fall into the "the host foots the bill, the host makes the rules" side of equation. The host isn't required to include children, or let the truly single people bring a date, or provide alcohol.

That.

If you can't make it to a party or event because of a sitter issue, decline.

impolite

Author: pachouly Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39005 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:18 PM

Totally agree here, even if I wouldn't do the same. But that's me.

On the bright side, be glad you know ahead of time -- a friend of mine booked an nonrefundable ticket/hotel room months ago to a wedding was just told (a few weeks out) that children weren't welcome..

pachouly

Author: stardustangel Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39006 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:19 PM
Some people just don't have the money. Depending on the age range of the couple's friends, a 100 person wedding could easily turn to a 125 person wedding b/c of kids. We had to pay 1/2 price the meal for any kids, which DH and I just sucked up b/c we have so many nieces and nephews and there was no way they were not getting invited. Plus I had out of town friends that I didn't want to miss seeing b/c of childcare issues. At an additional expense, we chose a venue that would have 2 separate children rooms. A sleeping room for infants and toddlers, and a playroom for the older ones. And we paid two babysitters $75 each for the night. As it turned out, many of our friends opted to leave the kids at home despite the fact that I emphasized the kid-friendly nature of the wedding. But the bottom line is that we saved enough and skimped on things that weren't as important to be able to afford to accomodate the kids. But I could understand someone not choosing to spend the money.

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39007 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:23 PM
What's going on? A few possibilities:

- The couple is a little tightly wound, recognize that a child might disrupt their carefully choreographed service, and decide that under a situation that is so high-stress to themselves, to preserve their sanity they'll reduce one stressor.

- The couple does not have children of their own and don't realize how many people will decline due to their children not being welcome.

- The couple does have an idea that parents will decline, but decides to take that risk because (1) they're not that close to their friends/relatives with children, so they'll still have their most important people in attendance, and/or (2) the fewer people attend, the better for their budget.

- The couple would prefer a small wedding but were strong-armed by their parents into inviting people who "have to" be invited or else family feuds would break out, so if they say "no children" they've fulfilled their obligation of invite but can still have a small wedding.

I personally feel it's better to include children, but I also recognize that the bride and groom can't win; whatever they do regarding children, location, menu, bridesmaids' dresses, seating, music, etc, some people will be angry. So I've decided to save my own wrath for those who:
1. Include registry info with the invitation. That's just crass.
2. Pretend the wedding is real when in fact they've gotten legally hitched prior. Sometimes couples do have valid reasons for getting hitched prior, related to health insurance, deployment, etc, so I don't question that; but if they pretend that the ceremony to which everyone's invited is "the real" one, that's just a farce.

Author: pachouly Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39008 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:27 PM

I'm just curious (we didn't have a registry and had a tiny wedding) -- how does one communicate a registry?

pachouly

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39009 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 1:53 PM
how does one communicate a registry?

--In my experience everyone asks the familys of the bride and groom or the bride and groom them selves.

I usually search the usual suspects online and figure it out from there.

Author: stardustangel Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39010 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 4:18 PM
Include registry info with the invitation. That's just crass.

My pet peeve is when they do NOT include registry info with the invitation and I have to ask around to figure out what they need/want. Who has time for that? I also hate the idea of giving a gift that will not get used. I don't want to spend my money that way. So I love registries. I just look at everything in my price range and go from there. No registry, you just get money or nothing at all.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39011 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 4:48 PM
If you can't make it to a party or event because of a sitter issue, decline.

Do you normally include a reason on that decline card or leave it as is?

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39012 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 5:54 PM
It's okay to include registry information with a Shower invite, not the Wedding invite. The point of the Shower is to give gifts. The point of the Wedding is to bear witness. One isn't required to give a gift to attend the wedding.

Lara Amber

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39013 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 6:03 PM

I just decline.

If they call and ask about the decline, I tell them I don't have a 100% sure sitter for that night, and so do not want to risk a last minute cancellation.

impolite

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39014 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 6:09 PM

I would not include the reason. The odds are they thought a lot about whether or not to invite kids, but had to balance competing interests and unfortunately for you the "don't invite kids" side was the stronger one.

While I'm sure they know that their decision means some people won't come, explicitly putting that on your card will only serve to make them feel bad, and won't change the situation at all.

DEG

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39015 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 6:39 PM
...I love registries...

So do I. I just hate to see it on the invite. Given that I'd typically be talking to either the couple or their parents at some point anyway (since, um, I'm close enough to be invited to the wedding), it's no trouble at all to ask, "Are you (they) registered?"

If the answer is no, I send a check. It appears that couples who, for a variety of valid reasons, would rather receive cash than other presents, and are too well-mannered to say that, don't register and, when pressed, say, "Oh, I'd just be delighted if you can attend, you don't have to bring anything, but if you do want to get something, anything at all that you like will be fine."

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39016 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 7:26 PM
Everyone thinks their kids are well behaved and they'll be responsible parents and remove their kids if a problem occurs. Often one or the other or both are not true.

We had a rule of thumb at our wedding of kids invited to the reception if there was plane travel involved.

We didn't put anything on the invite with "No kids" we just didn't invite the local kids.

The reason was pretty much the above. While there were some kids who were perfect and would have been wonderful to have there, we knew of several horrors. Since we knew there would have been an issue with some of them, we didn't invite any of them.

The last thing I needed to do at my wedding was explain that the reason guest X got to bring their kids and they didn't was because they had only a passing ablity to watch their children.

So we decided on not telling some of our guests that they were craptactular parents at our wedding and instead didn't have kids there.

I had a bunch of folks coming from overseas and the rest of the country so there were kids there. We said those people's kids were invited because if you have to travel over 500 miles and are staying for the week, they can hardly be expected to find a baby sitter. No worries. We got an extra room at the hotel and hired a baby sitter. When the kids got tired, as they do, they could be sent to the hotel and Mom or Dad could come back and enjoy themselves

Ford

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39017 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 7:31 PM

It depends on the culture really.
I asked my wife and she said that the registry info was done in the shower invite, which she didn't have to do.

However, in all the UK weddings there has been registry info in it. But in the UK it is considered crass to give money at a wedding. I think most of the gifts we got were from those outside the country, folks here mostly gave cash.

We did not find cash crass at all.

Ford

Author: snippee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39019 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 8:52 PM
Recommendations: 6
our kids are very well behaved but I'm smart enough to sit in the back and take them outside if they were to make noise during the ceremony...

While this is more than some people do, i'm one of those sticklers that doesn't want the ceremony interrupted at all, whether i'm the bride or a guest. I wanted a kid-free wedding (but compromised on including the nieces and nephews on my DH's side, as well as funding a sitter for the ceremony/reception*) because the ceremony/reception we had planned was decidedly not kid-friendly - it started at 9 pm, for one. But regardless of the time, i think weddings are (generally) quite boring for kids so it's no wonder they get restless.

I felt this way pre-kid but might even feel more strongly about it now. I wouldn't subject my (well-behaved) children to a wedding both for their sakes as well as for the sake of other wedding guests. My BIL's wedding three years ago was really our only test** - Hobbes had just turned two. Even if he hadn't been severely jet-lagged and needed his 7 pm bedtime more than ever, i would have questioned taking him. Sure, it was kind of sad that he was the only grandchild not at the ceremony (so the group shot had to be taken the next day) but seeing the other young (under age three) kids so tired and miserable for the several hours of the reception squelched any doubts we had about our decision. Meanwhile, Hobbes had fun with his sitters and DH and i had a great time catching up with his family.

Back to my wedding...I knew that some people wouldn't be able to attend - and might even be bitter about us not inviting the children. Schedule conflicts kept other people away. Shoot, if kids had been invited, some people would have been annoyed. There's just no way to please everyone - so, since, above all else, it was supposed to be a day for DH and me, we went with what we wanted to do.

:: shrug ::

* for said nieces/nephews and in case people brought their kids anyway...although, then you have people who won't leave their child with a stranger and you open up a whole 'nother can of worms and you realize you just can win for losing sometimes and head into Bridezilla Territory, stamping your foot and saying, "It's MY day, dammit, and i'm going to do what i want!!!"

** other weddings we've been invited to have been for "his" friends or "my" friends, so we've gone solo and had really great girls- or guys-nights-out

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39020 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/14/2010 10:42 PM
My sister had a *no kids* wedding.
EVERYONE traveled to the wedding, but not the reception.
She arranged (in the next building) a handful of sitters (a couple older responsible sitters and a few young-fun-will-play sitters) and games/movies/pizza/hot dogs for the 20+ kids, who ranged in age from toddler to 13.

It was great.
The kids had waaaay more fun than they would have trying to *behave* in their good clothes, and the bride and groom had the ceremony that they wanted.

peace & no kids
t

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39022 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/15/2010 7:26 PM
Recommendations: 5
People are welcome to invite me to weddings that won't have children in attendance, but I have no intention of going.

(That's been my position since before I had a baby; I am only interested in weddings that celebrate the whole family and community, including those members under 18.)

- Megan

Author: medgoddess Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39023 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/16/2010 9:30 AM
The whole thing seems ridiculous (I should add that our kids are very well behaved but I'm smart enough to sit in the back and take them outside if they were to make noise during the ceremony...)

It's the couple's wedding. If they have a child-free vision, so be it. You are under no obligation to go to any wedding. But if you choose to go, please honor what the couple wants. Sometimes the kids aren't invited for $$$ reasons (my caterer counted the used plates...kids cost the same as the adults). You don't know for sure why the kids aren't invited. Deal with it.

It would be RUDE beyond belief to bring a guest who was not specifically invited.

Kristi

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39024 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/16/2010 9:00 PM
It would be RUDE beyond belief to bring a guest who was not specifically invited.

Agreed. I was certainly not entertaining the thought of crashing anyone's wedding with my children. Of course it's the couple's special day and I intend to respect that.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39025 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/16/2010 9:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
"The whole thing seems ridiculous (I should add that our kids are very well behaved but I'm smart enough to sit in the back and take them outside if they were to make noise during the ceremony...)"

When we got married, everyone was invited with their kids and most everyone brought them along. We all had a great time, and having the children there really added to the fun. All our friends and family thanked us for including the children. In retrospect, we wouldn't have done it any other way.

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39026 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 11:43 AM
I personally think of weddings are family events for the families and friends of the couple to celebrate the nuptials. That includes the children. Our wedding had lots of kids and I am glad it did.

However, I recognize that some couples do not like kids. That is certainly their right. I do not make a fuss about it and simply send back the RSVP card saying we will not be attending. I have no interest in attending kid free weddings.

c

Author: bangar8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39027 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 12:17 PM
I guess its a cultural thing. In Indian weddings a wedding invitation to a family always means the whole family is invited. Specific names are not mentioned. I can't imagine an Indian wedding without kids running around having fun and enjoying. Our culture is very kid-oriented and just as we want the adults to witness the ceremony and bless the couple, we also want to see the kids of all our extended family and friends, whom we may not get to see often.
In fact, its not just the kids. Back in India, I once visited my uncle and aunt over a weekend. They had to attend a wedding and they just took me along. Nobody thinks that its odd or wrong or out-of-the-way.

I am not sure how the catering is managed but they are not given a number to start with except very approximately. Indian weddings are huge anyway and a few people this way or that does not make much difference I guess.

But here, I know that numbers are managed much tighter. So, when invited to any ceremonies/parties here, I respect the rules here. I understand its the hosts' prerogative on who they invite and the guests' prerogative to accept or decline based on their condition.

Author: sugarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39029 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 1:26 PM
Recommendations: 65
However, I recognize that some couples do not like kids... I have no interest in attending kid free weddings.

This assertion, and I can't believe how many people in this thread agree with you, strikes me as a very silly/self-absorbed/touchy way to respond to a wedding invitation.

Weddings with kids (mine was one) can be lovely. Weddings without kids can be lovely in a different way. As snippee noted, maybe the bride and groom want to start the festivities at 9 pm and have it be an elegant, intimate, adults-only affair. *shrug*

Assuming you care about the bridal couple, and being at their wedding is important to you, why not go with the flow? No one is excluding your children to insult you or because they "don't like kids".

Sheesh.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39031 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 2:00 PM
I agree sugarski. Not everyone wants the same style of wedding. Some want the huge family bash, some want the tiny intimate affair, some want outdoors, some want indoors. It has nothing to do with liking kids. Would one say "I realize some people hate the outdoors, I have no interest in attending an indoor wedding?". Or "I realize some people hate God, I have no interest in attending a non-church wedding?"

We had a tiny Victorian wedding at a historic hotel. Even if the few people we invited had kids, the kids wouldn't have been included, and I love children. First, because we had a strict headcount limit or we no longer would have qualified for the small wedding package or fit in the space. Second, because having small kids around all those antiques and fine china would have been a nightmare. We didn't invite most of our friends, our aunts and uncles, etc. We got a lot of flak about that until I started pointing out to my husband's relatively small family that while he has two aunts and 1 uncle, etc. I have 20+ first cousins alone, who are all adults and mostly married with kids. Even with the travel, we would have 100+ confirmed to attend before we even got to our friends. There was no way that was in budget or even desirable since we're both introverts. So it was parents, siblings, grandparents, and four close friends.

Lara Amber

Author: sugarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39032 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 2:06 PM
It has nothing to do with liking kids. Would one say "I realize some people hate the outdoors, I have no interest in attending an indoor wedding?". Or "I realize some people hate God, I have no interest in attending a non-church wedding?"

<snort!>

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39033 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 3:38 PM
Just as an aside, we recently recieved an invitation for all of us (kids, T and me) and responded with just the adults. We'll be getting a sitter.

impolite

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39034 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 4:07 PM
Weddings with kids (mine was one) can be lovely. Weddings without kids can be lovely in a different way. As snippee noted, maybe the bride and groom want to start the festivities at 9 pm and have it be an elegant, intimate, adults-only affair. *shrug*

And I hope they enjoy that wedding. But as I have never enjoyed an adults-only wedding that I've attended I've decided it's not worth my time and effort to attend any more.

- Megan

Author: sugarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39035 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 4:40 PM
But as I have never enjoyed an adults-only wedding that I've attended I've decided it's not worth my time and effort to attend any more.

Well there's no arguing with that logic. I'm sure any friends and family members whose weddings you boycott in the future will understand.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39036 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 5:08 PM
No one is excluding your children . . . because they "don't like kids".

Some people don't and sometimes it is for this exact reason. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Author: mapletree8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39037 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 5:52 PM
Recommendations: 37
But as I have never enjoyed an adults-only wedding that I've attended I've decided it's not worth my time and effort to attend any more.

Very few of the weddings I attend are enjoyable. Most of them are pretty boring. I'm not attending because I think it's going to be a good time....

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39040 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 6:58 PM
"This assertion, and I can't believe how many people in this thread agree with you, strikes me as a very silly/self-absorbed/touchy way to respond to a wedding invitation."

But people certainly have the right to not attend if their childen are not invited. I'd have to say that if it was us, we'd probably turn down the invitation also if we couldn't bring our kids.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39043 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/17/2010 9:21 PM
Holy cow am I glad I got married before any of my friends had kids. There were no kids in the family on either side at that time either, so we didn't give it a second thought. No kids, but none to leave out either.

But personally, I usually prefer to leave my kids home unless they have a direct connection to the people getting married. My sister's wedding - they were invited, and they attended.

Other friends or colleagues that my kids don't know, they stay home and DH and I enjoy the evening (or not, depending) as a couple.

GSF

Author: agyjdgphil Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39044 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 12:11 AM
Recommendations: 6
<But as I have never enjoyed an adults-only wedding that I've attended I've decided it's not worth my time and effort to attend any more.>

I don't get this....are there any "adults-only" functions you do enjoy? And do you go to weddings for yourself or for the sake of friendship with the bride or groom or their families? You make it sound, perhaps unintentionally, as though you are unable to have a good time unless your children are with you.

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39045 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 12:56 AM
are there any "adults-only" functions you do enjoy?

Well, she has children, so presumably there is at least one...

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39046 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 8:22 AM
{{Very few of the weddings I attend are enjoyable. }}

Really? I would say that most of the weddings I have attended have been enjoyable.

c

Author: nyua Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39047 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 8:26 AM
Recommendations: 81
Wow...

I just read this thread since it made it to the "Best of" and I can't believe all the people who believe an invitation to a wedding is about them and having a day out with their family rather than celebrating with the Bride and Groom..

When you are invited to any party.. do you only go if children are invited? dinner parties, new years eve parties, brunches. Do you ever just go alone or do you expect all invitations to include your whole family?

However, a wedding is not about you and your kids.. it is about the Bride and Groom and their family. It is their day not yours.

I have been married for 40 years and if any of my guests did not come because their children were not invited, I would not have missed them. My wedding was a home wedding and no children were invited nor did anyone expect them to be. My how times have changed. I have been to many weddings since and never thought whether children should or should not be there. That decision was left to the Bride and Groom. My decision to go to the wedding had to do if my husband and I wanted to be there not because of who was invited. Destination weddings required the same thought. If they were good friends, we went. If they were relatives that we barely knew holding a destination wdding, we stayed home sending our regrets.

Simple math... a couple wants to have a wedding with 100 people.. Suppose they invite 10 relatives... 20 people... each relative has 3 (some may have more... others less) children... now they have 60 people... they have 10 friends with 2 children... now they 40 guests.. reaching the 100 quota with just 40 adults!!

I think some of your priorities are wrong when receiving a wedding invitation. It is not about you.

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39048 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 8:32 AM
{{I think some of your priorities are wrong when receiving a wedding invitation. It is not about you. }}

You seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension. I am not aware of many (or any) poster who thought that the wedding was about the invitee and thus thought it would be ok to bring his or her children even if they were not invited.

I fully recognize that a wedding is about family and friends witnessing and celebrating the start of a the marriage. That is why if my child was not invited to a wedding, I would not bring her. I just also would not bring myself to the wedding either.

c

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39050 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 9:48 AM
And I hope they enjoy that wedding. But as I have never enjoyed an adults-only wedding that I've attended I've decided it's not worth my time and effort to attend any more.
Well and good.

But the point isn't to provide YOU with a fabulous party you can enjoy. It's for you to be there as a witness and community participant in the union of two people you presumably care about. If that commemoration doesn't matter to you, and you just want an afternoon out with the kids, then yes - best to stay away.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39051 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 10:19 AM
Recommendations: 9
You seem to have some trouble with reading comprehension.

*Snort* Your whole post showed that you were the one lacking reading comprehension.

I am not aware of many (or any) poster who thought that the wedding was about the invitee and thus thought it would be ok to bring his or her children even if they were not invited.

And the poster you responded to said no such thing.

I fully recognize that a wedding is about family and friends witnessing and celebrating the start of a the marriage. That is why if my child was not invited to a wedding, I would not bring her. I just also would not bring myself to the wedding either.

It is not about you.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39052 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 10:46 AM
Simple math... a couple wants to have a wedding with 100 people.. Suppose they invite 10 relatives... 20 people... each relative has 3 (some may have more... others less) children... now they have 60 people... they have 10 friends with 2 children... now they 40 guests.. reaching the 100 quota with just 40 adults!!

Pretty much this. Now consider that a lot of these kids don't actually care about this wedding. Sure there will be the young cousin who is super excited for you, but there will also be the coworker's kid who you've met twice who will be doing his "I'm so bored" stare at the table the entire evening, complete with deep sighs. Inviting everyone's kids and trying to stay in budget/fit in the space means other people might have to sacrificed, people who would actually CARE about witnessing the event and want to be there.

It's the couple's day and their money. If they want no kids, just out-of-town kids, or just kids that are relatives, or only kids over 12, it's completely up to them.

Oddly now I'm wondering why we don't have this argument about funerals. People don't fight tooth and nail to bring their kids to those. They are both solemn events commemorating a major change in the family, and hey, they both have cake. Answer honestly, you'd find a sitter for a funeral wouldn't you?

Lara Amber

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39053 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:10 AM
{{Answer honestly, you'd find a sitter for a funeral wouldn't you?}}

As a child I went to funerals. I did not think it odd for a child to be there.

c

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39055 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:23 AM
As a child I went to funerals. I did not think it odd for a child to be there.

All funerals or just funerals of family members you knew?

Many people wouldn't take their kids to the funeral of a coworker. Yet they will insist to high heaven that their kids MUST be invited to the wedding of a coworker or they won't attend. Which gives me pause, is their attendance about being there for their friend, or really about their kids? The one event is sad, so I can find a sitter, but the other, hey it's a party, you better pay to feed my kids you don't even know.

Lara Amber

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39057 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 12:13 PM
Heh. You all have gone ape about my comments.

As I said, I made this decision about weddings before I had kids. It's not a matter of being separated from my precious (yes, I do things without my baby). It's a matter of choosing how I want to spend my valuable leisure time.

The people I know who invited kids to their weddings had fun events that were about community and building a life together.

The people I know who didn't invite kids to their weddings had events that were about getting drunk or putting on very elaborate shows.

I didn't enjoy the second type of wedding and reception, so I started declining such invitations. BEFORE I HAD KIDS.

I guess my major difference from the rest of y'all is that I don't think of weddings as command performances. A wedding invitation is an invitation, and I am free to accept or decline, and I do not need to give a reason to the host. I am just obligated to respond promptly to the invitation.

(Part of the difference may be how many cousins I have who invite me to weddings -- dozens, and how clumped my wedding invitations are. Seriously -- when you're invited to 5+ weddings in a six month period don't YOU pick and choose which to go to?)

- Megan

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39060 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 12:36 PM
The people I know who didn't invite kids to their weddings had events that were about getting drunk or putting on very elaborate shows.
We must hang with different kinds of people then. Fortunately, I've never been to a wedding like this - with or without kids. One "no kids" wedding I was at had 20 people at "The Chapel of Love" in Las Vegas. It was fun, and we had a nice dinner afterwards. No one got smashed. And they are still married almost a decade later.

I've been to fun weddings with kids, and fun weddings without kids. I must hang with a different crowd as I've never been to a wedding that was about getting drunk, or ones with a bridezilla who wanted to put on a show with ponies and ice sculptures. Mostly they've just been nice low-key events.

The closest thing I've ever experienced to a "show" type wedding was a huge one (with kids) at West Point. That arch of sabers is pretty darn "show" like, but in a good way.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39062 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 12:53 PM
"I think some of your priorities are wrong when receiving a wedding invitation. It is not about you."

The decision to attend is solely that of the invited. Why are people in such an uproar that someone would turn down an invite if their kids weren't included? That's a cost savings to the bride and groom (or their parents - whomever is paying.)

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39063 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:00 PM
I guess my major difference from the rest of y'all is that I don't think of weddings as command performances. A wedding invitation is an invitation, and I am free to accept or decline, and I do not need to give a reason to the host. I am just obligated to respond promptly to the invitation.

No one thinks of the invite as a command performance. I have an issue with people who think they have the right to argue with the guest list or assign meaning behind why someone was or was not included.

Okay, that's the exact opposite of what I've encountered. The people with bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls, a big reception hall, and choreographed events (first dance, cutting the cake, etc.) HAD kids there. The people who wanted small weddings and skipped the extra trappings, they didn't have kids at their weddings. Oddly those would have been the easiest ceremonies to sit through for a toddler: five minutes with a JoP vs. an hour of readings, songs, and long-winded vows. Heck you can't get much simpler then the court house and a reception at a restaurant.

Lara Amber

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39064 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:01 PM
"As a child I went to funerals. I did not think it odd for a child to be there."

So did I. In fact recently, one of our sons, 3rd grade classmate's mother died of cancer (tragic story) and I took him to the wake to show our respects. His classmate (and father) were really touched and appreciative of his presence. Death is part of life, and kids need to learn that.

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39066 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:26 PM
{{I have an issue with people who think they have the right to argue with the guest list }}

Who has advocated arguing about the guest list? People on both sides of the attend or not attend divide have respected the wishes of the bride and groom.

c

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39067 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:33 PM
Who has advocated arguing about the guest list? People on both sides of the attend or not attend divide have respected the wishes of the bride and groom.

Well there was a comment about writing on the RSVP card that not inviting the kids was the reason for the decline, which IS arguing with the guest list.

People have definitely been doing the second part of my statement about assigning motives: assuming the invites that don't include kids mean the couple doesn't like kids, or are self-absorbed and holding a "production".

Lara Amber

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39068 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:42 PM
The people I know who invited kids to their weddings had fun events that were about community and building a life together.

Things must be different where you are. I've been to a number of weddings where kids are invited and there are plenty of guests getting drunk. They are not mutually exclusive.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39069 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:49 PM
The decision to attend is solely that of the invited. Why are people in such an uproar that someone would turn down an invite if their kids weren't included? That's a cost savings to the bride and groom (or their parents - whomever is paying.)

If you don't want to attend without your kids, that's fine. The uproar was started with the OP. Instead of just declining, she wanted to write on the RSVP card to tell the bride and groom why she wasn't attending. If she did that, she was making it about her.

Again, to repeat a good phrase posting by someone:

It is not about you.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39070 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:52 PM
Okay, that's the exact opposite of what I've encountered. The people with bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls, a big reception hall, and choreographed events (first dance, cutting the cake, etc.) HAD kids there.

Let's not forget the dollar dance.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39071 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:58 PM
Oh my god - I once went to one wedding that had this & I was horrified. I'd never seen anything like it before. Yikes.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39072 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 1:59 PM

The only time a girl can dance for dollar bills in front of grandma and not get disowned. Though if she wore the traditional outfit, the guys would give her a lot more cash.

Lara Amber

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39073 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 2:06 PM
Things must be different where you are. I've been to a number of weddings where kids are invited and there are plenty of guests getting drunk. They are not mutually exclusive.

And when I was a kid (born in 70) even the kids were drunk, once one of the kids (not saying it was me) expained to the rest that ordering a "Jack and Coke for Dad" was ok since you could tell everyone that you were drinking coke.

That is the problem that wee Séamus will have. His mother was a good child, his father was crafty, devious and always wanting to party. His Dad will probably be able to think back to his youth to catch his young son out in a few years.

And yet my mum and her friends say I was a good kid.

I don't think the Jack and Coke thing would work these days. I also would not keep drinks for the kids in the ice around a keg.

Ford

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39074 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 2:08 PM
Oh my god - I once went to one wedding that had this & I was horrified. I'd never seen anything like it before. Yikes.

You need to attend more Italian weddings.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39075 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 2:12 PM
And when I was a kid (born in 70) even the kids were drunk, once one of the kids (not saying it was me) expained to the rest that ordering a "Jack and Coke for Dad" was ok since you could tell everyone that you were drinking coke.

That is the problem that wee Séamus will have. His mother was a good child, his father was crafty, devious and always wanting to party. His Dad will probably be able to think back to his youth to catch his young son out in a few years.

And yet my mum and her friends say I was a good kid.

I don't think the Jack and Coke thing would work these days. I also would not keep drinks for the kids in the ice around a keg.

I was going to suggest we might be going to the same weddings as a kid. Then I looked up your profile. I grew up in PA. I was also a good kid.

PSU

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39076 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 3:18 PM
"Again, to repeat a good phrase posting by someone: It is not about you."

I agree - it is 100% up to the bride and groom to decide how they want to do it. Our wedding was great fun with the gaggle of children in attendance, but I understand how some others may choose to not invite them.

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39077 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 5:16 PM
Well this thread has been fun!

impolite

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39078 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 5:24 PM
It's been a lot more polite then it would have been over at a wedding board. Those places are scary!

Lara Amber

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39079 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 5:32 PM
But the point isn't to provide YOU with a fabulous party you can enjoy. It's for you to be there as a witness and community participant in the union of two people you presumably care about.

As an aside, I think most couples do want to provide their guests with a fabulous party they can enjoy - it's why a lot of invitations include "plus ones"... why else would a couple give the invitee the choice to bring anyone they want regardless of whether they know the couple or not? Yes, it's an added cost to the wedding, but most couples do it.

Author: mapletree8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39080 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 7:01 PM
why else would a couple give the invitee the choice to bring anyone they want regardless of whether they know the couple or not? Yes, it's an added cost to the wedding, but most couples do it.

Many do it. Do you know whether it is most?

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39083 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 7:48 PM
Some friends solved this problem by mentioning straight out in the invitation that there would be a baby sitter in the church basement, making it quite plain, if unspoken, that children were expected to go there.

Author: Fly2Retire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39084 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 10:59 PM
DH and I had a very beautiful; but simple wedding, the old-fashioned Cake and Punch type. Luckily, most of the folks either didn't have children, or did not bring them. I frankly did not want children their, because of this important reason. Our ceremony was a solemn, sacred religious ceremony. I did NOT want, and would NOT have appreciated the sacredness of the event being disturbed by anyone, adult or child. I didn't want to worry about anyone lacking a "filter", affecting the solemnity of the occasion. That's also the reason why I didn't have a flower-girl or a ring-bearer. For us, it was about coming before God, and joining our lives together in a covenant, which deemed the atmosphere accordingly.

I am so glad that we were able to have that type of ceremony, which was important to us. They, however, would've been more than welcome at our simple reception. There's alot to be said for a pretty Cake and Punch reception!

YMMV

Fly2Retire

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39085 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:10 PM
" there would be a baby sitter in the church basement"

Oh I bet the church basement is just such a fun and uplifting place to hang out.

Author: meowmixx Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39086 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:20 PM
The church basement? Who was watching the kids? The crypt keeper?

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39087 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:39 PM
"The church basement? Who was watching the kids? The crypt keeper?"

Just make sure that the church wine is locked up or the kids just might have a better time than the adults!

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39088 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/18/2010 11:49 PM
If the invitation say cake and punch, I'm staying home. I'm tempted to write on the decline card that we didn't go because there was not any beer at the reception.

PSU

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39090 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids not invited to weddings... Date: 5/19/2010 8:58 AM
The church basement? Who was watching the kids? The crypt keeper?

Well to be honest, the basement in our church used to be an over flow chapel that wasn't used since the 50s. They turned it into a room for holding functions. Its quite a cheery place to tell the truth.

Up where the church bells are is kind of creepy though. I never did get to the top, but I bet that is nicer, you can probably see the ocean from up there.

Ford

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement