UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42361  
Subject: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/27/2012 11:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is the Jewish holiday season, and our kids are off school until October 11th.

I'm looking for ideas about things to keep the kids busy. (And by "things" I mean "free or very cheap things.")

Any suggestions?

We have three girls (age 5) and a son (9).

On days when the weather is nice, they can ride their bikes, or I can take them to the zoo (where we have a membership).

But they won't want to do that all day, every day.

Today I took the girls to Somerset, an upscale shopping mall where they like to ride the escalators, glass elevators, and the "skywalk," a moving sidewalk that connects to parts of the mall on opposite sides of the street. We brought lunches and ate in the food court. I also let them spend about an hour playing at the kids section in the Apple store. Aside from the gasoline I used to drive there, my out of pocket expenses were zero.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41942 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/28/2012 12:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Go to the library

look for parks and museums to go to that are free

plan a meal or dessert to make, then go to the store and buy the ingredients, go home and cook it

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41943 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/28/2012 12:28 PM
All good suggestions.

I also just thought of another one: Play-dates with schoolmates who are also on break!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41944 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/28/2012 12:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
playground(s), beach(es), help in the yard (rake--or just jump in!-- the leaves, pull weeds), create art (crayons/markers; chalk on the driveway/sidewalk; collage with old magazines/newspapers/junk mail, scissors and paste), make homemade birthday cards for friends/ & relatives; play dress-up/role play; ball game(s) such as kickball, street hockey.

Make no-bake cookies/pancakes/waffles/French toast or homemade yeast bread (rising & punchdown are fun for kids); make homemade butter from heavy cream; go to a you-pick orchard/farm; make an early jack-o-lantern or do other fall decorating with leaves/gourds/whatever you have.

Teach them something new--a board game or physical game, household task like setting/clearing the table, dusting, sweeping, loading the washer or dryer. My mother used to have us clean out cabinets and closets on school vacations.

Put the triplets in a warm, sudsy tub to play; go through family photos and tell stories about everyone--let them make up stories, too. Story hour at the library or book store, my Barnes & Noble has a track for running cars/trucks/trains that 5-year-olds might enjoy (smaller toy stores sometimes have things out for kids to play with, too). Watch a video they haven't seen lately or borrow a new one from the llibrary.

Take a walk and try to identify whatever you see & hear--plants, birds, kinds of dogs & cats. Invite a couple of friends over to play.

Watch you fix something, maybe hand you the tools you need.

Have them read to you. Start reading a chapter book to them so you can read a couple of chapters a day through the whole vacation.

Places that hold music, art, and gym classes for children often have a free week between terms so people can try them out.

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41945 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/28/2012 4:00 PM
create art (crayons/markers; chalk on the driveway/sidewalk; collage with old magazines/newspapers/junk mail, scissors and paste), make homemade birthday cards for friends/ & relatives

Adding to this, if you want a good purpose for the art, ask your local senior center or assisted living place if they'd like it. There might be people that would like some harvest/fall art from your children, plus it'd be a good opportunity to practice sharing and giving.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41946 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/29/2012 8:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
Wow! What a fantastic list! I'm going to print that out and save it.

Thank you, alstroemeria!

Author: MazieNH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41947 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/29/2012 9:44 PM
A new fun thing we do is a "nature scavenger hunt". Or nature bingo.

Make a list of things - rock bigger than your hand, a triangle shaped leaf, a white flower - and put them on a list or bingo grid and have them see who finds them all first.

I also get huge mileage out of chalk and bubbles in the driveway.

Marianne

Author: MazieNH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41948 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/29/2012 9:47 PM
We occasionally visit the kitties and dogs at the local animal shelter too, but that excursion can run the high risk of leaving with a new pet :)

Ours always needs old towels and blankets and sheets, so we donate stuff there a lot whenever we go on a cleaning binge. So we typically pet the animals a while when we are there.

Marianne

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41950 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 9/30/2012 11:40 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm looking for ideas about things to keep the kids busy. (And by "things" I mean "free or very cheap things.")

Any suggestions?

I was just going through my web bookmarks and ran across one that may be useful. It's a listing of 30 classic outdoor games:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/05/30-classic-games-for-si...

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41951 of 42361
Subject: Re: Kids on 2-week break. What to do? Date: 10/1/2012 9:03 AM
Any suggestions?

If the schools are closed, take them to the school and play in the playground there. I do this with my kids on weekends pretty frequently.

Cook with the kids. It's apple season!!! Apples are plentiful and cheap, and there are so many things you can make and do with them.

Fall Leaf Rubbings.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement