No. of Recommendations: 20
The libs in the office have become emboldened. 2 network administrators in the quad next to me are becoming unbearable. Both young guys. One is Hispanic. The other? Have no idea. Last name is Mahbubani.

They are so frakking loud, spouting there political BS. I may have to complain.

Today's topic was "I don't get Thanksgiving". Comments like:

"How can Americans just sit there and eat while knowing they committed genocide to native Americans".

Give me a SOB break.

I'm going to go to my inlaws for TD. A mixture of Hispanic, German, Spaniard, Italian and others. Black, white, brown people...eating and giving thanks for their blessings.

And yes, I'll eat some turkey. No bacon though. <g>

I hope those 2 guys choke on whatever fast food garbage they eat.

decath (I think I'm getting old)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The other? Have no idea. Last name is Mahbubani." - decath

Sounds Indian or Pakistani? Maybe Bangladesh?

Art
decath wrote: "How can Americans just sit there and eat while knowing they committed genocide to native Americans". Give me a SOB break.

Well, it's beyond awful what the Colonists did to America's indigenous people. Here they (natives) were, minding their own business when the Colonists decided to take over their land. Native Americans are to this day disadvantaged and living on reservations while everyone else is enjoying beautiful America. Shameful.
No. of Recommendations: 2
With any luck they'll get Obama'd one day just like the Hostess crowd.

Otherwise, what you witnessed was the product of Liberal indoctrination via public schools. Breeding America haters in America. Gotta admit, it was a brilliant plan by the Leftists.

JediG
Ahhh yes, Mahbubani.

Of the Kansas Mahbubani's.

Jedi
No. of Recommendations: 5
How can Americans just sit there and eat while knowing they committed genocide to native Americans?

I have trouble eating while knowing what Homo sapiens did to Homo neanderthalensis.

--fleg
fleg wrote: I have trouble eating while knowing what Homo sapiens did to Homo neanderthalensis.

Natives living in North America were hardly Neanderthals.
No. of Recommendations: 3
cc
Well, it's beyond awful what the Colonists did to America's indigenous people. Here they (natives) were, minding their own business when the Colonists decided to take over their land. Native Americans are to this day disadvantaged and living on reservations while everyone else is enjoying beautiful America. Shameful.

People have been killing people for 10 thousand years. I don't condone it.

But...last I checked...I'm pretty sure no Americans alive today has committed genocide. Nor are the current 'native Americans' being round up, transported or killed.

Ancient native Americans who where conguered, raped, eaten or killed by other native American tribes either perished or learned to adapt. Back then, they did not give a rat's rear about racism. They just congured and killed. So the white men did it to them...tragic...it was over 100 years ago done by people that probably were not even most of our ancestors.

The natives living in reservations now have gov't advantages you and I could only dream of. Things will never go back to where they were with millions of square miles of living space to hunt/roam. Native American decendents would be best served by adapting to modern culture. They have no choice. Having a pity party does not help them.

I absolutely do not allow my adopted biracial child to EVER go into any diatribe about her being disadvanted because she is part black. Will not allow it. I demand the same from her as I did my 2 biological kids. As a result, she is a star athlete that has just been nominated to the HS Allstar volleyball team. By the time she graduates from HS next spring, she will have 30 college credit hours, essentually being done with her senior year. No gov't intervention. Just my $ and her hard work. <g>

Native American decendents should learn from examples like that.

I'm surprised by your comment CC. It's so unlike you. Must be leftover liberalism or California indoctrination still in you. lol

decath
No. of Recommendations: 1
"The other? Have no idea. Last name is Mahbubani." - decath

Sounds Indian or Pakistani? Maybe Bangladesh?

Just for the heck of it I Googled the last name - not expecting to find the same person of course.

There are people with that last name all over the world. Singapore, Hong Kong, Cambridge, Austin... no really strong geographic dominance to indicate an origin.

One of them has a first name that strongly indicates ancestry in the Hindu/Vedantist religion.
Ahhh yes, Mahbubani.

Not many of those.

The Texas Mahbubani's, on the other hand, seem to be doing pretty well.
decath wrote: "How can Americans just sit there and eat while knowing they committed genocide to native Americans". Give me a SOB break.

cc

Forgot to add.

I think I can sit down and have TD meal without feeling guilty for something I did not do.

If I even had a hint of guilt, it would be irradicated by the fact that I've given tens of thousands of $ and hundreds of volunteer man hours to poor/indigent/needy people for the past 20 years. I think that shields me from left-wing nonsense.

I'll be eating in peace and enjoying my family.

decath
Ahhh yes, Mahbubani.

Not many of those.

The Texas Mahbubani's, on the other hand, seem to be doing pretty well.
----------------

fleg is just take it to the next ridiculous level. While what happened with the indians was tragic, it was mostly a difference between cultures - not understanding how the other operated.

When I was in eastern Europe, I got lots of "those mean X people shouldn't have <some part of their country> because it was OURs in 1302." It gets silly after a while. And meaningless.

arrete Sudetenland, anyone?
decath wrote: I think I can sit down and have TD meal without feeling guilty for something I did not do.

Oh, I fully agree. I don't feel the least bit guilty, but neither do I deny that American Indians suffered greatly when the White Man arrived on its shores.

The Trail of Tears is a name given to the forced relocation and movement of Native American nations from southeastern parts of the United States following the Indian Removal Act of 1830. The removal included many members of the Cherokee, Muscogee (Creek), Seminole, Chickasaw, and Choctaw nations, among others in the United States, from their homelands to Indian Territory (eastern sections of the present-day state of Oklahoma). The phrase originated from a description of the removal of the Choctaw Nation in 1831. Many Native Americans suffered from exposure, disease and starvation en route to their destinations. Many died, including 4,000 of the 15,000 relocated Cherokee.

In 1831, the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Muscogee-Creek, and Seminole (sometimes collectively referred to as the Five Civilized Tribes) were living as autonomous nations in what would be called the American Deep South. The process of cultural transformation (proposed by George Washington and Henry Knox) was gaining momentum, especially among the Cherokee and Choctaw. Andrew Jackson continued and renewed the political and military effort for the removal of the Native Americans from these lands with the passage of the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

In 1831 the Choctaw were the first to be removed, and they became the model for all other removals. After the Choctaw, the Seminole were removed in 1832, the Creek in 1834, then the Chickasaw in 1837, and finally the Cherokee in 1838. After removal, some Native Americans remained in their ancient homelands - the Choctaw are found in Mississippi, the Seminole in Florida, the Creek in Alabama, and the Cherokee in North Carolina. A limited number of non-native Americans (including African-Americans - usually as slaves) also accompanied the Native American nations on the trek westward. By 1837, 46,000 Native Americans from these southeastern states had been removed from their homelands thereby opening 25 million acres for predominantly white settlement. Source: Wiki

Hard to believe this actually happened...but it did.
No. of Recommendations: 11
decath wrote: I think I can sit down and have TD meal without feeling guilty for something I did not do.

Frankly, I feel much too guilty about what neither I nor any of my relatives did to the African Americans that were in slavery.

If I ever get over that, I will work on all the guilt I have over the idea that people who break immigration law should not be rewarded.

WHen I get past that, I am going to take whatever money I have, if I still have a 401 K and buy women contraceptive devices.

That is why I am making meatballs.
No. of Recommendations: 3
arrete wrote: While what happened with the indians was tragic, it was mostly a difference between cultures - not understanding how the other operated.

No, it was a matter of one culture [Anglos] not accepting the other culture [Indian]. Anglos were clearly the aggressors, perceiving the Indians as "savages."
No. of Recommendations: 12

When I was in eastern Europe, I got lots of "those mean X people shouldn't have <some part of their country> because it was OURs in 1302." It gets silly after a while. And meaningless.

arrete Sudetenland, anyone?

Some years ago a friend and I were traveling through Powis in Northern Wales. Spent the night in Powis Castle. Had a good dinner, walked to the local pub. Sat next to 2 ancient, edentulous apple headed local hobbits. Bought them drinks, became instant friends. They spent the next hour telling me just how evil, corrupt, immoral, untrustworthy, and prone to sheep buggery the Southern Welsh were. The operative theory was that they were corrupted in the 13th century by the English invasion of Edward 1 and never recovered.
Apparently you could tell a southern from a northern welsh just by the slope of their forehead. The southern welsh had slopped foreheads to help them from bumping their heads in the coal mines. The northern had straight foreheads full of brains and gile to help them escape the dirty, murderous English.
It was quite an education.

mcb
Some years ago a friend and I were traveling through Powis in Northern Wales. Spent the night in Powis Castle. Had a good dinner, walked to the local pub. Sat next to 2 ancient, edentulous
apple headed local hobbits.

mcb

Well I just expanded my vocabulary by one word doc. I had to look that one up. It figures you'd use that word since you're a dentist. <g>

Mike

The point being that feeling guilty for what happened before you were born is pointless.

--fleg
Adj. 1. edentulous - having lost teeth
toothless - lacking teeth; "most birds are toothless"; "a toothless old crone"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/edentulous

Yeah I know if they cared they would look it up, and be more likely to remember it, but heck I am lazy too, and curiosity is limited when it comes to dental vocabulary

The point being that feeling guilty for what happened before you were born is pointless.

--fleg
--------------------------------------------
I couldn't agree more, man this stuff gets old, the reparations talk, the Columbus Day/Thanksgiving Day talk, i mean Christ ay can't we move on already! My father and mother came here in the late 1950's, with all due respect and reverence, it's over, move on, no one owes anyone anything.
edentulous...

It figures you'd use that word since you're a dentist.

It's analogous to my frequent use of the word "invertebrate."

--fleg
Adj. 1. edentulous - having lost teeth
toothless - lacking teeth;

A careful consideration of the parts of words will often reveal their meaning, particularly scientific words. In this case, "dent" refers to teeth, while "e-" means "out" or "out of."

Another example is the word "evoke," consisting of "e-" plus "voke" as in vocal. It means "to call out."

"Eviscerate" means to take out the viscera. DW is always after me to take out the viscera.

"eHarmony" is a site that leads to marriage and thus takes the harmony out of life.

--fleg
"Eviscerate" means to take out the viscera. DW is always after me to take out the viscera.

"eHarmony" is a site that leads to marriage and thus takes the harmony out of life.

I take it DW was not reading over your shoulder and reminding you about the viscera when you typed that?
No. of Recommendations: 5
No, it was a matter of one culture [Anglos] not accepting the other culture [Indian].

Not only not accepting but worked to eradicate their culture by not allowing them to speak their language or practice their religious beliefs. I met the grand chief Matthew Coon Come this August in Montreal.

HIs story:http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/views/story.html?id=9b0c...

I was taken away from my parents at a young age to attend La Tuque Indian Residential School, situated in central Quebec, approximately 300 hundred miles away from my home community of Mistissini, Quebec.

I was at the IRS for 10 of the most vulnerable years of my life.

The residential school I attended was officially opened by then minister of Indian affairs, the Honourable Jean Chrétien, and was operated by the Anglican Church.

The federal government wanted to take the Indian out of me. It did not succeed. I know that I know who I am. I am eeyou, a human being, son of a great hunter, and member of the Cree Nation.

The federal government wanted to assimilate me into the Canadian body politic. It did not succeed. I love my country, my land and my people.

The federal government wanted our peoples to disappear, because of our title to our lands and resources. It did not succeed. Our peoples are still here to assert our rights. We are still in the way. We are not going away.

Church officials slapped me for speaking my language and wanted me to lose my language and traditional ways. They did not succeed. I speak my mother tongue fluently and I and my family are Cree.

They told me that my culture, and my people's ways of life would never sustain me. They lied. I am a son of a hunter, fisherman, and a trapper. My father taught me how to walk the land, and to love and respect the animals and all of creation. I have not lost my culture. Our way of life is thriving.

They tried to force their religion on me. I hate religion. I hate the traditions. Religion kills. But I have found peace, love, and faith in a personal relationship with Christ.

I choose to forgive those who took me away from my parents, my grandparents, my community and our traditional lands and resources.

I choose to forgive Mr. Chrétien for opening and allowing the residential schools to operate.

I choose to forgive the church officials who tried to kill my language and my culture, and who wanted me to be ashamed of who and what I am.

I choose to forgive those who physically and sexually abused me.

It is time for me to move on. And to continue being Cree, in defiance of everything the federal government intended for me and my people. And to continue asserting our peoples' human rights to self-determination, to our cultures and to our resources and lands.

His journey was similar to US Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_boarding_school...

In 1926, the Department of Interior (DOI) commissioned the Brookings Institution to conduct a survey of the overall conditions of the American Indians and to assess federal programs and policies. The Meriam Report, officially titled The Problem of Indian Administration, was submitted February 21, 1928 to the Secretary of the Interior Hubert Work. Related to education of Native American children, it recommended:
abolition of "The Uniform Course of Study", which taught only European-American cultural values;
education of younger children at community schools near home, while providing for older children to be able to attend non-reservation schools for higher grade work; and
provision by the Indian Service (now Bureau of Indian Affairs) to Native Americans of the education and skills to adapt both in their own communities and United States society.
Despite the Meriam Report, attendance in Indian boarding schools generally grew throughout the first half of the 20th century and doubled in the 1960s.[10] Enrollment reached its highest point in the 1970s. In 1973, 60,000 American Indian children are estimated to have been enrolled in an Indian boarding school.[10][11] The rise of pan-Indian activism, tribal nations' continuing complaints about the schools, and studies in the late 1960s and mid-1970s (such as the Kennedy Report and the National Study of American Indian Education) led to passage of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act of 1975. This emphasized decentralization of students from boarding schools to community schools. As a result, many large Indian boarding schools closed in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Native American boarding schools in the United States were seen as the means for the government to achieve assimilation of American Indians, which it believed was the best way for them to live in the changing society. By having the children in boarding schools, they could be educated together in majority culture. The boarding schools separated American Indians from non-Indian students.

A similar system in Canada was known as the Canadian Indian residential school system.

So those we did not kill physically; we attempted to kill their culture & make Euro centric white red people. Not much to be proud of here. And it occurred during our life time.
"Some years ago a friend and I were traveling through Powis in Northern Wales. Spent the night in Powis Castle. Had a good dinner, walked to the local pub. Sat next to 2 ancient, edentulous apple headed local hobbits. Bought them drinks, became instant friends. They spent the next hour telling me just how evil, corrupt, immoral, untrustworthy, and prone to sheep buggery the Southern Welsh were. The operative theory was that they were corrupted in the 13th century by the English invasion of Edward 1 and never recovered.Apparently you could tell a southern from a northern welsh just by the slope of their forehead. The southern welsh had slopped foreheads to help them from bumping their heads in the coal mines. The northern had straight foreheads full of brains and gile to help them escape the dirty, murderous English. It was quite an education."
- mcb

That was hilarious! When I was a kid in Southern California we used to call the Mexican kids "Beaners". Then after mom died and we moved to Atlanta it was the black kids we were supposed to dislike. By that point I had matured enough to realize how ridiculous it all was.

It wasn't till much later in my life that I came up with my "duality and separation" philosophy which pretty much wrote the whole thing off as just another learning experience along with all the other dualities we have to endure in this life. Just one more way to experience separation.

And that includes politics.

Art
"Well I just expanded my vocabulary by one word doc. I had to look that one up. It figures you'd use that word since you're a dentist. <g>"
Mike

I didn't look it up but I suspect it meant toothless because I think that there is an order of mammals called Edentata that means toothless so I figured that edentulous meant toothless too.

That just made the post funnier. I could just picture it as I was reading.

Art
I wonder what Pocahontas Warren, the new Senator thinks about this.
>I>A careful consideration of the parts of words will often reveal their meaning, particularly scientific words. In this case, "dent" refers to teeth, while "e-" means "out" or "out of."

Another example is the word "evoke," consisting of "e-" plus "voke" as in vocal. It means "to call out." - fleg

------------------

GEORGE: ...So, anyway, if you think about it, manure is not really that bad a word. I mean, it's 'newer', which is good, and a 'ma' in front of it, which is also good. Ma-newer , right?
fleg wrote: I have trouble eating while knowing what Homo sapiens did to Homo neanderthalensis.

LOL....man oh man, I hate to laugh at someone else's expense. But I did chuckle pretty hard at this. It's right up there with that comment over Photoshopping the old photo about the depression soup kitchen line a few months back. Remember that?

I swear, it's responses like this, reading many posts over the years on the Fool, that I think there really is such a thing as the "humor gene". There are certain few posters here on this board (and others)....and it has nothing to do with intelligence, they all are bright....that don't seem to get jokes, or understand at all when people are simply joking. It's one thing when someone is young and experienced, or don't know the posters here....but they are neither. They are all middle aged and been poster here for years. I won't name names of course.

Yet, time after time....people don't get simple humor...or understand it when someone is simply joking. But they can understand other matters that're very intricate and intellectual challenging. It's a really strange phenomenon of the human mind. Yes, AssBurgers is partly the explanation, but it's more than that.
if you think about it, manure is not really that bad a word. I mean, it's 'newer', which is good, and a 'ma' in front of it, which is also good. Ma-newer , right?

I always thought of it as "man-ewer," a male jug with a wide mouth.

--fleg
AOLF wrote: Yet, time after time....people don't get simple humor...or understand it when someone is simply joking.

Those posters should be funnier.
How can Americans just sit there and eat while knowing they committed genocide to native Americans<\i>

Simple, just like the "natives" did for their celebrations. They conquered, killed, and enslaved another peoples too. We just happened to do it in a society advanced enough to keep a written record.

Ask them to name one society, just one, that wasn't established by war and conquering. Heck, even our own Judeo-Chrisitan prophecy (and other religions too) say that Heaven will be established after an all destroying, conquering war.

JLC
So those we did not kill physically; we attempted to kill their culture & make Euro centric white red people. Not much to be proud of here. And it occurred during our life time.<\i>

Nothing new. Australia did it to the aborigines. Supposedly Rome spread the people of a newly conquered territory throughout the Empire.

The sun rises is the east and sets in the west, nothing new under the sun.

JLC
So those we did not kill physically; we attempted to kill their culture & make Euro centric white red people. Not much to be proud of here. And it occurred during our life time.

Nothing new. Australia did it to the aborigines. Supposedly Rome spread the people of a newly conquered territory throughout the Empire.

The sun rises is the east and sets in the west, nothing new under the sun.

JLC

The difference is that this was occurring in North America within the past 20-30 years while your examples occurred many moons ago. Have we learned any tolerance of others culture?
The difference is that this was occurring in North America within the past 20-30 years while your examples occurred many moons ago. Haven't we learned any tolerance of others culture?
No. of Recommendations: 8
tjscott wrote: Have we learned any tolerance of others culture?

As long as others' culture is peaceloving and self-sufficient. It's when they consider me an infidel and wish to kill me that I get a little nervous about their "culture."
"Nothing new. Australia did it to the aborigines. Supposedly Rome spread the people of a newly conquered territory throughout the Empire. The sun rises is the east and sets in the west, nothing new under the sun." - JLC

You are absolutely 100% right but that doesn't mean I got to like it. I find it rather depressing and it is just another reason I am looking forward to Heaven. My Heaven, not the Judaeo-Christian one.

Art
"The difference is that this was occurring in North America within the past 20-30 years while your examples occurred many moons ago. Have we learned any tolerance of others culture?" - tiscotto

There are all kinds of horrible rotten things that have happened in the History of Man but that doesn't mean I can't feel bad about them. Genocide, Slavery, stealing lands from different people, etc. It's all rather depressing.

Art
Have we learned any tolerance of others culture?

The point is, human nature doesn't really change.

You could ask the same about all these nut jobs wanting to continually trying socialism/communism. It didn't work in the past, it won't work in the future. Why? Because human nature hasn't changed.

JLC
"Have we learned any tolerance of others culture?"
-----------------------
"The point is, human nature doesn't really change. You could ask the same about all these nut jobs wanting to continually trying socialism/communism. It didn't work in the past, it won't work in the future. Why? Because human nature hasn't changed." - JLC

It will always exist in some form or other. It's how our universe is made. It will never go away. You can rant and rave about it all you want, as long as it continues to evoke emotion in individuals and cause duality and separation it will continue to exist.

Art
Advertisement