Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: My back hurts- Rant Date: 10/2/2009 6:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
KillroyFool: "I'm not going to attempt to verify someone elses math, and will simply say that any statistics can be skewed to meet ones agenda. Regardless the fact remains that a significant portion of US households do not pay federal income tax and the federal deficit is growing."

And those two facts may not necessarily be directly related (unless you assume that spending remains constant).

"Your correct that the SS tax caps out and therefore those with lower incomes do pay more as a percentage. However SS benefits also cap out. I'd advocate removing both caps."

Have you ever looked at the formula for calculating SS benefits. High earned income people already take in the shorts (and so do married couples, but I digress).

"I do not believe in personal exemptions not any deductions."

At least you are internally consistent in your beliefs.

"I'm not sure I understand your point on removing them being uncontituitonal. More likly incomes taxes as a whole are unconstituntion, but I'll leave that agrument for a later day."

I will try to post in more detail later.

"Taking all this together quickly moves the direction of the tax system to a flat rate. For very dollar of income a person takes in (regardless of source) they would be required to pay x%. Imagine the efficiency gained in filing and administration of incomes taxes. The form could simply be 5 lines long.

Total income amount:
Multiply by x%:
Equals total amount owed:
Minus amount already paid:
Equals amount due or due back:"

You have swallowed someone's koolaid. Much of the tax code defines income. Changing to a flat tax does not change the complexity WRT to the definition of income.

Your 5 line card may work for some who is a "wage slave" but not otherwise.

Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement