Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: IKan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63849  
Subject: Kinda OT: Opinions on what kinda computer to get Date: 12/5/2012 8:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Since the sales on computers are starting up until the new year, I am mindful that my aging home desktop with a 21 inch screen is getting a tad slow, as in stalls temporarily, and I am tending to do more and more on it all at once.

Common things running all at once: tv show, spreadsheets, 5 internet sites, ...

My options:
1) new desktop with Intel 3rd generation i7
2) 15" laptop with 3 Gen i7
3) 17" laptop with 3rd Gen i7

I do not need a big Harddrive, do not play games on it,

I have contemplated getting a laptop which I could connect to the 21" screen but also disconnect it and take it to another room such as on the rare occassion I go to watch the big screen tv where I could multi-task. Typically when I do fire it up I am on it for a few hours in 1 stretch.

I am used to the big Microsoft keyboard and am a hunt and peck typer (2 fingers). Would I adapt back to a laptop ok? I used to have a couple laptops at a previous job a decade ago and was happy with them (15").

The 17" laptop seems a big big but has a nice size screen to see charts. I would never be carrying a laptop for more than 15 seconds (room to room) max. 15" laptop takes up less real estate. My eyesight is ok but I am not old but not a spring chicken (progressive bifocals which I forgot I have until now).

With a laptop I could have 2 screens running (the laptop and the 21").
The desktop provides more computing power for the $$$ but is stationary.
The laptop I could HDMI connect to my tv for ..... in place of using my BlackBerry Playbook now (which works good for watching tv on the big screen.... as I have no cable or satelite).

Oh what to do!?

The TV show just stopped playing while I was typing this.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome, pros and cons.

Thanx in advance.
IKan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement