UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190149  
Subject: kindle and passwords Date: 12/2/2012 9:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just got a kindle had and am wondering about security. I see two options.

1 Let the Kindle remember passwords and protect with a pin. However, might that let someone get at the passwords via the USB port?
2 Use an app like last pass. However, in this case the app functions as its own very limited browser.

Thoughts?

Also, what do you all think about rooting and side loads? I'd really like some apps not available in the Kindle store.

Kat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182752 of 190149
Subject: Re: kindle and passwords Date: 12/2/2012 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Note: I own a Kindle keyboard which is not rooted (as it serves its function as a backup communications device without needing that tweak).

Rooting frees you to use one of these gadgets as God intended. That said, make sure you do it right or you will end up with a fancy coaster for your coffee mug.

I'm preparing to do it to my new Samsung Tab 2, but hesitate to recommend others to risk turning their new toy into a brick (one of the advantages of buying at Costco is that they'll take bricks back :-).

Jeff

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182753 of 190149
Subject: Re: kindle and passwords Date: 12/2/2012 12:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
Also, what do you all think about rooting and side loads? I'd really like some apps not available in the Kindle store.

I'd recommend anyone running any Android device, and with enough technical sophistication to do so, to:

1) Do a search on the Internet and find how to root their particular device (most manufacturers frown on rooting and make it difficult)

2) Install ClockworkMod Recovery (preferably Touch)

3) Use ClockworkMod Recovery to back up their device's OS

4) Do a search on the Internet for "Unbrick" and "Boot loop" packages for their particular device. Download one of each to their SD card

ClockworkMod does not replace the OS; it replaces the recovery-mode OS.

I've done this on my Nook, my wife's Nook, and my phone.

I also installed CyanogenMod 7 on my Nook; in software terms it's now an Android tablet, not a Nook.

However, on my wife's Nook I just installed the software necessary to get to the Google Play Store.

Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182763 of 190149
Subject: Re: kindle and passwords Date: 12/3/2012 4:26 PM
Download one of each to their SD card

No SD slot on the Kindle. Just a USB. Same diff?

Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182764 of 190149
Subject: Re: kindle and passwords Date: 12/3/2012 4:29 PM
Also, Kindle isn't listed as a Clockwork recipient on the ClockworkMod website.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182765 of 190149
Subject: Re: kindle and passwords Date: 12/3/2012 4:38 PM
Download one of each to their SD card

No SD slot on the Kindle. Just a USB. Same diff?

Well, that tells me I was right to get a Nook Color rather than a Kindle Fire...

There is a version of Clockworkmod for the Kindle Fire, so it has a suitable place to put the files I'm referring to. On the Nook it's the folder named "sdcard" which, guess what, actually gets stored on the SD card. I don't know for sure what it would be on the Kindle.

By the way... http://northmendo.com/kindlewater/

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement