UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4575  
Subject: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/8/2012 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Apple orders more than 10 million iPad mini units, report says"

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-ip...

IMO, a lot will depend on the price.

Ken
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2845 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/8/2012 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If Apple aims for the low-end market, it will drag down the entire product line. Innovation be damned if the goal is compete at that level.

Fuskie
Who would be very disappointed if this rumor turns out to be true...

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2846 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/8/2012 6:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
If Apple aims for the low-end market, it will drag down the entire product line.

Like lowering the price and selling a two year old iPhone model has done to the iPhone market?

A 7" iPad will add about $1 billion in revenue in the upcoming quarter. Not sure how that hurts the company, especially since other tablet makers are selling millions of them in that configuration anyway.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2848 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 2:26 AM
I don't think that selling an old iPhone drags down the iPhone market because there is already a lot of old iPhones for sale on the seconday market. It's one of the things that makes iPhones better than Android phones - they last longer.

My issue with a mini-iPad is not the product but the trend line. Apple's history has been to define its market. They created the Mac computer because there was nothing like it. They created the iPod because no one had done it right. They created the iPhone because they had a better smartphone. And they created the iPad despite everyone saying there was no purpose for it.

With the mini-iPad, they are chasing the existing low end tablet market, not innovating. Sure it will add revenue but it will cheapen the brand and the reputation of the company and that's my concern. Everything I read about the mini-iPad says lower quality, fewer features and that's never words I want to be associated with Apple.

Fuskie
Who believes Apple performs best when it creates the sandbox rather than playing in someone else's...

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2849 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 8:17 AM
"With the mini-iPad, they are chasing the existing low end tablet market, not innovating. Sure it will add revenue but it will cheapen the brand and the reputation of the company and that's my concern. Everything I read about the mini-iPad says lower quality, fewer features and that's never words I want to be associated with Apple."

Depends on what features are lost. The only thing I've heard of was that the screen would not be a Retina display.

I like the Fire, particularly now that the Optimum wifi apps work on it, and for $200 I could, if nothing else, have a personal portable TV in the house that looks good and by all accounts has very decent sound.

The main iPad draw for me is being able to make use of just about all the apps I have on my iPhone 4 without additional costs. My DW's iPad3 is a good extra TV for her (and she loves it for other reasons too), but I'm not a fan of the unassisted sound from it.

Kindle books will work on both (in non-glare areas - Kindle Touch or new Paperwhite - wish I had waited for that one - for glare areas)

So, I'll wait and see. Either purchase is discretionary, particularly once I get my iPhone 5 in a few weeks.

Ken

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2850 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 9:09 AM
My DW's iPad3 is a good extra TV for her (and she loves it for other reasons too), but I'm not a fan of the unassisted sound from it.

Do you mean push notifications alert sounds? These can be turned off.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2851 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 9:39 AM
"Do you mean push notifications alert sounds? These can be turned off."

No, I mean sound quality when watching a show as it airs or say Netflix or HBOToGo.

Ken

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2853 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 2:32 PM
My issue with a mini-iPad is not the product but the trend line. Apple's history has been to define its market. They created the Mac computer because there was nothing like it. They created the iPod because no one had done it right.

Then they created a dozen other versions: bigger, smaller, some with more features, some with fewer. Some did video, some didn't. Some had internal speakers, some didn't. By covering many different segments of the market they kept other manufacturers from having an obvious advantage in one area that Apple didn't. Was that a bad strategy? Would you say they should reduce the product line to just one model?

With the mini-iPad, they are chasing the existing low end tablet market, not innovating

They're not "chasing" anything, they're making a product available in a market segment which exists, and which if they don't serve others will. Some people don't want a full size tablet, just as some people don't want a small size Kindle.

Sure it will add revenue but it will cheapen the brand

No it won't. Really not.

Everything I read about the mini-iPad says lower quality, fewer features and that's never words I want to be associated with Apple.

Ah. So the iPod Shuffle should be discontinued immediately. Apple still sells the iPhone4, which comes without Siri or retina display. They should stop that too?

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2854 of 4575
Subject: Re: Kindle Fire Killer? Date: 10/9/2012 8:15 PM
No, I mean sound quality when watching a show as it airs or say Netflix or HBOToGo.

Understood. The 'unassisted' had me thinking about notifications.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement