UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrTarr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Re: Asset Allocation & Bond Mutual Funds Date: 2/3/2011 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
knob-

I know I'm supposed to have fixed income assets in my portfolio

How do you know that?

Your portfolio should be balanced based on your risk tolerance. Factors for that include: what can make Mr. and Mrs. Knob sleep at night, and what you want from your assets!

I'm afraid of losing value as rates increase
More than you are afraid of losing value if equities drop? Well If that is the case - lets go to the other point!

is better to put up with poor performance for the sake of diversification
What kind of performance do you need to have? If 3%, or whatever Janus and PIMCO are racking up right now, is performance enough to meet your goals, sure. If you want more, and point one is taken care of....

So - bottom line, no one on this board can tell you what the magic allocation for you should be without a significant amount of more and personal info, or a crystal ball and I am certainly not the brightest tool on the tree (or sharpest bulb in the shed) and dont have the ball - but if sleeping at night means having some Bonds/FI and you can sleep with the risk, you can certainly diversify into bonds and move down the credit spectrum to capture a little better yield - buy the actual bonds with a plan to hold to maturity so you will get the yield (assume no default) and then not really worry about rates rising. Or if you view some strong dividend payers as FI (and can sleep with that risk) pulling out and putting it into something you feel more comfortable with certainly has value.

Another way to look at it, if you didn't own these funds now, would you put fresh money in them today

Really - about the only way to look at it!!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement