UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Adenovir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461357  
Subject: Kudos To Paulson Date: 9/14/2008 9:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
For taking the high road on this and protecting the taxpayer. He was between a rock and a hard place and he chose to let the system work things out. Now each firm that runs into hard times knows they can't count on the treasury to bail them out.

Adenovir

(...now Ben has a chance to prove himself too - will he be worthy?)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DoctorOptimist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251866 of 461357
Subject: Re: Kudos To Paulson Date: 9/14/2008 9:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Agreed!

Learning more of these details, it seems that Lehman was a sacrifical lamb... too many problems to solve in one weekend. Merrill board didn't want that fate, and somehow got a 70% premium bid by BOA.

This leaves Goldman and Morgan Stanley as independent investment banks... five majors now down to two.

This is a major consolidation, will reduce the future shenanigans and reduce the future systemic risk. This is all a net positive.

Author: miro26 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251892 of 461357
Subject: Re: Kudos To Paulson Date: 9/15/2008 12:25 AM
<
This is a major consolidation, will reduce the future shenanigans and reduce the future systemic risk.>

You wish. This concentrates risk.

Miro

Author: SteadyAim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251908 of 461357
Subject: Re: Kudos To Paulson Date: 9/15/2008 4:53 AM
This leaves Goldman and Morgan Stanley as independent investment banks... five majors now down to two.

This is a major consolidation, will reduce the future shenanigans and reduce the future systemic risk. This is all a net positive.

I don't follow that, sounds like risk concentration to me. Wasn't this how Fannie and Freddie were created???

SA

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251940 of 461357
Subject: Re: Kudos To Paulson Date: 9/15/2008 8:30 AM
It is....

I don't follow that, sounds like risk concentration to me.
Wasn't this how Fannie and Freddie were created???
SA

yes, that was how exactly

KBM (MrObviousman)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement