Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DirtyDingus Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 8:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/11/12/223137/93

Including the important fact that only one word in English has all the vowels in alphabetical order: facetiously!

DD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1789 of 13999
Subject: Re: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 12:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Including the important fact that only one word in English has all the vowels in alphabetical order: facetiously!

Nope. there are others.

Sorry I can't think of them at the moment; I'll get back to you. Meanwhile, think about it (a hint; they all end in -ly, I think).

David

Author: Corrigo Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1790 of 13999
Subject: Re: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Nope. there are others.

Words with All the Vowels in Alphabetical Order (Each Appearing Only Once)
Abstemious
Abstentious
Acheilous
Acleistous
Acheirous
Aerious (D)
Aerobious (AK)
Affectious
Anemious (AK)
Annelidous
Archeilous (AK)
Arsenious
Arterious
Bacterious
Caesious
Facetious
Fracedinous
Majestious
Parecious (AK)
Vaceious (AK)

Words With All The Vowels In Reverse Alphabetical Order (Each Appearing Only Once)
Duoliteral
Muroidea (AK)
Muscoidea (AK)
Rudoiera (AK)
Subcontinental
Subhyoidean (AK)
Subvoiceband (AK)
Suoidea (AK)
Tutoiera (AK)
Uncomplimentary
Unnoticeably (AK)
Unoriental (AK)
Unproprietary (AK)

from http://www.real-estate-law.com/wordgame.htm

Author: FoolSwing Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1791 of 13999
Subject: Re: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 1:10 PM
Recommendations: 1

Nope. there are others.

Sorry I can't think of them at the moment; I'll get back to you. Meanwhile, think about it (a hint; they all end in -ly, I think).

Well, for starters there's facetious, but you might argue that's cheating because it's the same root as facetiously.

However, we also have abstemious, abstentious, aceriflorum, aceriflorus, acheilous, acheirous, acleistous, adecticous, aerobious, affectious, aleikoum, anemious, annelidous, archeilous, arsenious, arteriosus, arterious, autecious, bacterious, caesious, fracedinous, hareiously, parecious, placentious, tragedious, vaceious and phragelliorhynchus.

Then, if we will allow for adding extra vowels in as well, these words still strictly fit the requirement that it has all 5 vowels in alphabetical order: supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and pancreaticoduodenostomies.

Then we can look at things the other way around: suoidea, duoliteral, prunoidea, juloidea, muroidea, muscoidea, pulmonifera, rudoiera, subcontinental, subhyoidean, subvoiceband, quodlibetal, tutoiera, uncomplimentary, uncontinental unnoticeably, unoccidental, unoriental, and unproprietary.

FoolSwing

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1792 of 13999
Subject: Re: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 1:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, for starters there's facetious, but you might argue that's cheating because it's the same root as facetiously.

More importantly, it doesn't contain a 'y', which is often a vowel.

Many of the other words listed can have a '-ly' added, to include the 'y'; but some of them I'm not sure about (I'll have to look up aleikoum, among others)

David

Author: SirSouthBent Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1795 of 13999
Subject: Re: Kuro5hin article on Words Date: 11/18/2002 6:41 PM

Nope. there are others.

I think the 'y is sometimes a vowel' argument is leading to this confusion.

-Stan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement