Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

One more suggestion.

Since you are still in your earning years, you should invest money into an IRA in your name. There is no problem with drawing money on some IRAs (your husband's rollovers) while your are contributing to different ones.

Personally, I would set up automatic investments of $333 a month into an IRA going into a growth or stock index mutual fund. You take advantage of some wonderful benefits.

For one, you will be getting dollar-cost-averaging. This really improves your return. See This method works very well for higher risk investments because you'll buy more shares in bear markets when prices are low.

Also, you will never pay taxes on the earnings in this account.

In 10 years or so, inflation will have reduced the value of your husband's rollovers. This extra account will provide an additional (tax-free) stream of income in the future to make up for that loss in effective income.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.