Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dmcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 45  
Subject: Label maker Date: 12/4/2004 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm reading GTD done right now and am pretty excited about Allen's ideas. I think I can benefit from these processes.

One of the things that I wondered about was his strong feelings about a label maker. He seemed to think it was a necessary piece of equipment. I questioned it and wasn't going to get one.

Then I found this Brother PT-65 for $10 after rebate from Staples:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=436156

The price was so cheap and it received good reviews at Amazon, so I picked one up.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SleepsAtNight One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Supernova Olympia 1
Winner CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/4/2004 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
dmcostello,

Thanks for the tip. I might get one myself. I was originally planning on looking into label maker software, assuming that would be the way to go to avoid the additional clutter of another machine. But judging by the reviews on Amazon, it sounds like a nice little machine (except for needing 6 AA batteries).

Anyone using label maker software that they like? Or is the machine really the way to go?

Sleeps.

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/5/2004 2:47 AM
Recommendations: 2
I just love my machine. I have a Brother label maker as well -- I never understood in the past why anyone would need one of these things.

But what David says about making it FUN and EASY to file stuff -- the label maker is all about that. Plus, as he said at the seminar, what kind of message do you send to a client or partner when you sit down at the table, and pull out a file with their company name or project name labeled for you -- it's a small thing, but it's impressive. There are probably 15 other great reasons I use my label maker.

Buy your own -- you can't have mine!

David

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/5/2004 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
Anyone using label maker software that they like? Or is the machine really the way to go?

I have a Brother PT-65 as well and use it all the time. The reason why I prefer the machine over labelling software is that you can carry your label maker all over the place and make labels on the spot, rather than walking around and making a list of labels you need to make before making them. It's one less step and much more convenient/speedier to own the gadget and make your labels ASAP.

Plus, they are so cheap these days. Buy some AA's at Costco and you're set for a long time.

(Although sometimes it's a real b***h to peel the backing off the labels after you've trimmed your fingernails).

:-)

Keith...

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/5/2004 6:43 PM
Keith,

Please note that a lot of the labeling tape I see sold now in stores -- bought some the other day, in fact -- has the backing split in two, making it really quite easy to strip, now. I agree with your stated sentiment, and apparently Brother did too... check it out....

David

Author: SleepsAtNight One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Supernova Olympia 1
Winner CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/7/2004 1:58 AM
So I got the PT-65. Works great. Thanks for the tip!

Author: dmcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 12/10/2004 5:50 PM
I got the PT-65. Works great. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. I received mine too, but I haven't had time to play with it.

Author: winegoddess Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 45
Subject: Re: Label maker Date: 1/1/2005 4:43 PM
I love my label maker! That one little tool inspired a whirlwind of organizing that helped me get rid of twenty years' worth of paper I did not need. Ever since then I have been so organized that I am ready to file my income taxes by Dec 31 each year. I'm just waiting for the supporting W-2's to arrive. I've been thinking about buying another one to leave at my office so I don't have to carry mine back and forth.
Buying that label maker seemed to coincide with the beginning of my efforts to gain control of my financial life. It's amazing how one act of organizing can lead to life changing behaviors.

I can see from the posts and links I've read on this board that I will have to investigate the "Getting Things Done" system further. I'm looking forward to your notes from the conference...

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Winegoddess

I'm very excited to have found this board.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement