Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
You know I'm getting just a little tired of people throwing out the "lack of software support" when it comes to Apple. The bull states very succinctly why this is argument is as outdated as floppy drives when he speaks about the Internet & how it's changing the computing needs of everyone. My gosh, even Bill Gates was able to grasp, finally, that the Internet was changing everything well enough to write a now famous memo which redirected his company.
The reality is this... I work in an environment that is 50% Mac & 50% Windows. It's unusual to have that type of product mix in a business, I know, but I work in television. My job is to manage the budgets for our production & marketing groups. "Budgets?", you say. "SPREADSHEETS!" I resond. Guess what. I pass spreadsheets back & forth to graphics folks, marketing folks, upper management folks, producer folks, film editor folks, etc. etc. all day long. How many times do you think I need to modify the files I'm sending for my Mac brethren. Not Once!
On the other hand, my brother, an IBM employee, has to adjust his Lotus spreasheets & memos whenever sending them to a Microsoft client.
Sure, you say, but that's because Microsoft still writes Office for the Mac. Precisely. Thank you for making my point.

I have an iMac at home. Rev A. Jumped on that bandwagon as quick as I could (if only the wife would let me buy the DVD iMac now). I email files from my windows machine (Toshiba laptop, actually) to my iMac & work at home on a regular basis. "Any problems," you ask. "No," I emphatically reply.
At home, on my iMac, I manage my finances (Quicken), write letters to friends & family (email, or Claris), post pictures of my family on our web site (fetch)
<shamless plug>(new baby coming soon) http://www.mindspring.com/~ecbrackett/
</shameless plug>, design & code my web page (simpletext, Go Live), surf the web (Netscape, that you very much), and on & on & on.
how many times do I get frustrated because I don't have software?

that's right. Not at all.

The no software support argument is bunk. Please, bears, come up with something a little more creative.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement