UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: janinaP Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 317  
Subject: Lacking direction, Master's degree but no career Date: 5/3/2008 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have found a lot of problems finding direction in my life and career. I know this is foolish, but I got a Master's degree in something that I thought I wanted to do (social work) but now I'm not sure. An expensive Master's degree :(

I love health care and am passionate about working with patients. I've already interned at a hospital and I love this setting. However, it's terrifying to think that I might need to get another degree if I want to stay in this setting but make a decent living.

I've thought about PT or OT. They pay better than social work but get to work with a lot of the same patients.

The thing I'm having a hard time getting over is feeling bad about my own foolishness for not fully evaluating my choice to get this degree in the first place. I did do a lot of research, but it turned out the choice that I made now seems like a bad one. This feels pretty rotten as I feel like I'm still without a career, but now I owe a lot of money on top of things.

Has anyone managed to get themselves out of this kind of a problem? It's not an ADD problem per se, but I do think that ADD played a role in my decision making style in the first place, so I wonder if other ADDers can relate and perhaps offer encouraging advice or thoughts?

Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement