UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: twowu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Laddered Bonds Date: 12/23/1999 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have just been introduced to laddered bonds as a means of financing my mother who is 87. We are having Schwab set up the initial ladder since my mother trust Schwab more than me, I am only a Foolish 62 after all. Has anyone had experience maintaining a ladder once it is set up? We plan to invest in high grade Corporates because of the higher yield. I can't seem to get that much current data from either the WSJ or IBD and I have tried a few web sites but nothing really seems to provide me with what I think I need. Any suggestions out there?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16814 of 76418
Subject: Re: Laddered Bonds Date: 12/23/1999 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Let's say you want to do a 5-year ladder and have $50000 available. You put $10000 in a bond that matures in 1 year (1 year Treasury bill would be fine); $10000 in one that matures in 2 years (2 year Treasury note also fine), $10000 in one that matures in 3 years (can get on secondary market or purchase from broker) $10000 in one for four years and the last $10000 in one for five years. Your mother then collects the interest, and every year a bond matures. You take the principal from the matured bond and buy another 5 year bond.
You may also select bonds that pay their interest in different months, to provide income for every month. This would require 6 rungs on the ladder...
Any more specific questions? Regards, Chris

Author: scrambler101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17003 of 76418
Subject: Re: Laddered Bonds Date: 12/28/1999 2:54 PM
Chris,

I am interested in buying some corporate bonds in my IRA account I have with Vanguard. When I called, they said I needed to do my own research, and then direct them to purchase specific bonds.

Is there a good source for specific bond information? I looked at the WSJ but they don't seem to have much. I heard the NYSE trades a lot of corporates, but could not find information on their site. So where do you get info?

Thanks in advance.

Author: DoktorDi Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17036 of 76418
Subject: Re: Laddered Bonds Date: 12/29/1999 5:21 AM
<<I am interested in buying some corporate bonds in my IRA account I have with Vanguard. When I called, they said I needed to do my own research, and then direct them to purchase specific bonds. >>

I understand that Merrill Lynch has some of the best products with laddered bonds.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement