UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Starrob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1636  
Subject: Lady Gaga Cancels Show In Indonesia Date: 5/16/2012 7:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My girlfriend told me about this and I was amused. The thing I always keep in mind about Indonesia appears to be the recognition that there seems to be a very, very powerful extremist fringe that while they may be small they have a very powerful influence within the country.

I consider many of these extremist groups dangerous.....many of these groups seem aligned with much of the thinking of Al Queda and many of these groups are more powerful than the casual observer of Indonesia think. If these groups happen to target you in Indonesia then your life may be very much in danger as Lady GaGa found out:

"Lady Gaga lives to provoke and push the envelope. But not everyone is up for her antics. The "Americano" singer has been forced to cancel her sold-out June 3 "Born This Way Ball" show at the 52,000-seat Gelora Bung Karno stadium in Jakarta, Indonesia after Islamic hard-liners and conservative lawmakers said her sexy costumes, suggestive dance moves and "vulgar" style could corrupt the nation's youth.

According to the Associated Press, a spokesperson for the national police said on Tuesday (May 15) that the permit for the show has been denied after religious conservatives worried that the concert could undermine the nation's moral fiber. Some of the critics actually threatened to use physical force to prevent Gaga from getting off her plane. Though Indonesia is a secular state, it has the world's largest population of Muslims and a small extremist fringe of religious leaders has been more vocal in recent years.

"She's a vulgar singer who wears only panties and a bra when she sings and she stated she is the envoy of the devil's child and that she will spread satanic teaching," said Salim Alatas, the Jakarta head of hardline Islamic Defender Front (FPI), according to Reuters. "This is dangerous."

Local police worried that they might not be able to guarantee security at the show and suggested to national police that the permit for what was to be Gaga's biggest gig on her current Asian tour be pulled."

cont'd

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1685092/lady-gaga-cancels-s...

You better believe the police could not guarantee her safety....LOL....especially since there probably many on the police sympathetic with the views of the extremist fringe. She might have well decided to hold a concert in Iran.....she would have gotten about the same results.

My girlfriend claims Christianity as her religion and even she seems caught up a bit in anti-Lady GaGa views in Indonesia. I continue to say Indo seems a very volatile place to me....I have been to some pretty dangerous areas of the world before but Indo makes me generally wary even when it seems seemingly at peace.

Here is Indo in full effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubV2MJjDbk4&feature=relat...

That happened relatively recently.....while the place seems "safe" whenever I am there in Indo, I almost feel that that the country seems like only a couple of stages away from Coup De Tat......lol....but that appears to be life in Indo.....you just get used to it.

Here is what Islamic riots look like in Indo when they get going good and this video is basically a attack against people who hold 70% of the wealth in Indonesia...the Chinese. This happened in 1997 but the sentiment in Indo against Chinese is not too much different today. If you don't believe then go to Singapore and ask a Singaporean Chinese what they think of Indonesia as you watch them involuntarily shiver and slowly answer....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8H7WrTZ0qk&feature=relat...

Here is one of the greatest atrocities in the world that never made the US news.....the place that sends shivers up my spine Ambon...The Machetes and poison blow darts come out....raging insanity....I love the part where the guy says he did not kill people....He just took 4 Heads.....yeah.....yeah....they like taking your head in Indo.In Ambon they will take your head and put in on a pole if they don't like your religion....the lands of former cannibals (Sumatra & Borneo).....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy15BcK7lFI&feature=relmf...

Indonesia seems to be a nation of hundreds of islands where not only do many of the different islands do not seem to like each other (Especially hatred for the island of Java) but there also seems to be tremendous hatred between different religions and races. I am consistently amazed that Indonesia has remained together as one nation and that all of the islands have not taken up arms against the island of Java like East Timor seems to have done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Timor%E2%80%93Indonesia_re...

Actually a few islands have fought Jakarta's hegemony....Most recent is Aceh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE7dZKuzheU

Don't get me wrong....I love Indonesia....my girlfriend is Indonesian...I love going to visit Indo..I had some of the best times of my life there..but let's just say I am acutely aware of where I am when I am there. Indo be volatile!!!! Handle with care,,,LOL!!

Starrob
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement