Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25315  
Subject: Re: Changing jobs - gap in eligibility Date: 6/25/2013 2:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
LakeEffect,

You wrote, Any options better than funding a taxable account until I'm eligible for the new 401k? Thanks in advance.

No, but you have my sympathy. I just went through something similar.

In 2010 I changed contracting firms. The new firm basically didn't have a 401k (long story). I didn't have the details, but knew their plan was going to be a problem so I immediately changed my election at my then-current job and shoved 80% of my pay from my then-current gig into that firm's plan ... even though it likely alerted them of my imminent departure. (At least they weren't surprised when I resigned.)

Anticipating a long period without a 401k, I began regular investment in a set of Vanguard funds - mostly their S&P 500 fund - around the end of 2010.

In August of 2012 I was approached by a major company about a full-time position. I started at the end of September and in October began funneling half my paycheck into their 401k in the hopes of catching up.

It was a little scary juggling the cash flows (or lack thereof); but being nearly 50 and having no way to contribute to any tax-advantaged retirement account was just as bad. I count myself lucky to have had the option, the means to exercise it for 2010* and 2012* and that I only really missed out on 2011. Missing a year where I'm eligible for catch-up contributions would really suck.

* I was within a couple grand for 2010 and about $200 for 2012.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement