UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14993  
Subject: Lamictal Date: 2/28/2006 12:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I would just like to say I am LOVING this drug. So far. I've been on it almost 2 weeks and I feel like a whole new person... but I also still feel like ME! YEAH.

There are some side effects not listed on the packaging. Crazy vivid dreams, for one... but that's not unusual when starting or stopping any chemical.

Then I woke up with a UTI. Maybe. It feels like a UTI, but the cranberry pills and tea don't seem to be working as well as normal. I'm going to my dr to have this checked out today just to be safe. I googled "uti lamictal" (no quotes) and found a GREAT website with patient comments. It sounds like UTI symptoms, not UTI infections, are what some people have listed, but I'm going to make sure just in case. It's not ultra common, but it's mentioned more than once. Honestly, as annoying as it is, I feel so good as far as the bipolar stuff that it's worth it to me to feel like I have a UTI even if I don't.

The other thing noted by many on this site is memory issues and spelling issues. I'm doing ok as far as memory, I think. (I lost my memory when I quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago and it doesn't seem to be any worse.) I have been spelling things wrong and using the wrong word occasionally. I was using the wrong words before (never figured out why) but the spelling thing is new. LOL I got a History quiz back and realized I spelled Roosevelt with the two last letters switched. Luckily the teacher doesn't mark off for spelling! In my jounral this morning I was talking about my weight loss and wrote something about one and a half HOURS instead of POUNDS. Sheesh! I'm also leaving out letters in words. Sometimes I catch the mistake and sometimes not. (I've been backspacing a lot through this post.)

I wanted to share the site I found here. First because I am very impressed by the med. Second because of DD2's situtation with her dad. Several people noted that this was their last hope before ECT and it worked. Maybe he's tried it, maybe not, but I thought I'd provide the info just the same. (Lamictal works on both mania and depression, but especially on the depression.)

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20241&name=LAMICTAL

I've read on other sites that when it works and can be tolerated it's a miracle drug. I'm not out of the woods yet... I think the deadly rash can develop any time in the first 8 weeks!!! But I am really hoping that I tolerate this because it is really just working better than I could have ever imagined. And would you believe it's an appetite suppresent, too??? What more could I ask for?

Rebecca
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement