Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19378  
Subject: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just got the card even though I don't start on it for another four months. The card is flimsy and won't last long without lamination. Is that OK with the gov't?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17714 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 6:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. So unless you find something on the card saying "no" do it.

I have a laminated social security card -- had that sucker for 58 years. Sometime after I laminated it, I read that was a no-no. Until I find a delaminator I am not going to worry about it.

Gordon
Atlanta, GA
USA

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17715 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 7:33 PM
I did the same to mine. The card my 92 y/o Mom has is barely readable.

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17716 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 8:17 PM
Don't even bother with it, you'll get a proper card when you get the Supp or Advantage ins.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17717 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 8:37 PM
Grouse your advise is not good. What you get with Advantage or Supplemental insurance is a card from that carrier. There is no requirement you get either of these products. Second many, but not all healthcare providers require you to present your Medicare card - which as I said is not the Advantage or Medigap card.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17718 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/12/2012 8:47 PM
Wrong, with a supp or advantage card, they will not need the medicare card which has your SSN on it and should not be carried with you!

Crazy not to get the Advantage accounts.

Author: rkasse Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17720 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/13/2012 9:23 PM
...Crazy not to get the Advantage accounts.
---------------------

Why is that?

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17721 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/13/2012 9:50 PM
Extra coverage for no premium (United HC). Some prefer Supps, but IMHO the advantage accts are a better value - YMMV

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17722 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/14/2012 12:49 AM
Recommendations: 2
...Crazy not to get the Advantage accounts.
---------------------

Why is that?

Your chance to get government welfare. Unlike traditional Medicare supplements, the federal government will pay the insurance company a subsidy to help cover the cost of your Advantage policy. Meanwhile, the dummies buying their own insurance will be paying premiums to their insurance companies and also paying taxes to subsidize your coverage.

Count me as one of the dummies and proud to be paying my own way.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17723 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/14/2012 9:49 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've asked around among my doctor friends about Medicare Advantage versus Medicare plus Medigap. 100% of the docs have indicated that they would go or have gone with Medicare plus Medigap. The primary reason seems to be the network rules for MA, which limit the docs and hospitals that you can access. In some place, this might not be an issue, but it apparently is in other places. I go on Medicare at the end of the year, and I've almost decided on Medicare and Medigap, as opposed to MA. Another potential reason is that ObamaCare has as a goal the destruction of MA plans. They want everyone on regular Medicare. In fact, they have proposed regs that will limit the coverage of Medigap, but who knows if the regs will ever come into force.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17724 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/14/2012 1:38 PM
Another potential reason is that ObamaCare has as a goal the destruction of MA plans. They want everyone on regular Medicare. In fact, they have proposed regs that will limit the coverage of Medigap, but who knows if the regs will ever come into force.

I don't believe anything in ObamaCare limits current Medigap coverage, but the Simpson-Bowles proposal did. That's one part of that plan I oppose because the average retiree couldn't afford the financail burden they proposed. As I told some friends when I first read it, if it passed in original form they might as well buy seniors a gun and a bullet instead of making them suffer when they couldn't afford medical care.

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17728 of 19378
Subject: Re: Laminate my Medicare card? Date: 7/17/2012 5:47 PM
I thought the same thing about the card. Very flimsy. Both my wife and I had our cards laminated. We have had them for about 10 years. No problems have occured or have we been chalenged because we did it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement