UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976581  
Subject: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 10:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I would hate to have to work for a company that demands I give to a certain political party or candidate. In fact, I am trying to divest myself from supporting companies who support radical, job-killing and freedom restricting, right agendas. That is a monumental task that I cannot accomplish completely, but I try.

Workers told to write Romney checks by coal CEO who made miners serve as Romney backdrop
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/04/1140137/-Workers-to...
<snip>
The coal miners forced to serve as an unpaid backdrop for a Mitt Romney campaign appearance aren't the only Murray Energy employees who have to support their boss's favored Republican candidates, it turns out. Salaried workers, who don't make such picturesque, coal-covered backdrops, but who earn more money, are expected to write checks and attend the boss's political fundraisers. The pressure is not subtle, Alec MacGillis reports:
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821402 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Coal! It's not just for Christmas stockings anymore.

Ken

Author: Icemann11 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821412 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 11:41 AM
But, I thought only Labour Unions made their people contribute to political activities of their preferred party. : )

Icemann

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821418 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 11:51 AM
Simple extortion.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821422 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 11:54 AM
"I would hate to have to work for a company that demands I give to a certain political party or candidate. In fact, I am trying to divest myself from supporting companies who support radical, job-killing and freedom restricting, right agendas. That is a monumental task that I cannot accomplish completely, but I try. "

Unions are by far the worst offenders of this, they take member dues and regardless of the members views/beliefs almost 100% of unions contributions to the political process goes to the Democrats.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821430 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 12:17 PM
I am trying to divest myself from supporting companies who support radical, job-killing and freedom restricting, right agendas.

That's a complete contradiction of your post...why would you divest in companies sending money to Obama, then attack Romney supporters? (BTW, if true the company is breaking the law, so I'm sure Holder will look into it).

That said, good luck as many of the companies you're thinking of divesting in are most likely playing both sides like the Wall Street Investment Banks and others.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821617 of 1976581
Subject: Re: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Date: 10/5/2012 8:59 PM
Terrible in this situation, but not uncommon. I once worked for a company that unofficially made it very clear that if you did not contribute to the PAC you would not be promoted. I contributed in one year, loathed myself, and never contributed again; I was still promoted. Doubt this necessarily would be the case for workers at lower position levels.

Wessex

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement