UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20733  
Subject: Laptop use abroad for novices Date: 11/20/2012 10:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I travel a bit and have dragged my laptop when traveling. This is especially important while on cruise ships because they charge higher rates than parking in Manhattan to use the internet while aboard.

The first group was written by me, the second group of suggestions about how to prepare your laptop by someone named "Gerret", but I thought they were useful as well.

Jeff

I am a Windows user right now, but am pretty agnostic about the tool I use for this purpose. I've found that Mac's are not easier to use, just different (but won't get into arguing "religion" here).

1) You should know how to connect your laptop to Wi-Fi in a Starbucks (process will be similar abroad). Be aware that while many Wi-Fi location are completely open, others require a password which you have to ask for. As these are only given to customers, save your cash register receipt as you may be asked for it (OR THE PASSWORD MY EVEN BE PRINTED ON IT).

2) Once you have launched your web browser, whether it is Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or whatever, the controls are basically the same, but as in an unfamiliar car model if you poke around a bit, you'll find the "light switch" somewhere. Try to become familiar with at least two web browsers so that you have the confidence to use an alien one if you come across it.

3) If you use PC's at internet cafe's or libraries (sometimes easier than using your laptop), be aware that different countries use keyboards with different layouts. Find out how to switch the layout to "US" or watch your typing to get it right. The "@" key may require using a "alternate graphic" key (like the "Ctrl" key on a US keyboard) as a shift (hard to send an email without knowing that).

3) Get familiar with Google (or Bing or whatever your favorite search engine is). Then try your luck on a different one. Speed and familiarity is your friend.

4) Consider encrypting your hard disk drive. I use a free package called "Truecrypt" on my Windows laptop, but hopefully there's something similar for Mac OS. While a secure (longer and mixed alpha/symbols/numeric is better) password will make it difficult for someone to use your laptop, it's a five minute job to pop out your hard disk and read it on another PC. While using your PC there is all sorts of information which finds its way onto your hard disk (even if you erase files) which you would rather not share with nasty strangers. Encrypting your hard disk makes it nearly impossible to access this data without your encryption key (a different password than your OS one and this one should also be long and complex). If you are going to do this, I suggest reading up a bit first as there are strategies which you might consider useful which I won't bore you with here. Before you encrypt your hard disk MAKE A COMPLETE IMAGE TYPE BACKUP. Afterwards, keep it in a safe place (not with you when you travel) or destroy it, but if things mess up during the encryption process, you'll need it. DO NOT FORGET your encryption password. If you don't remember it, your hard disk is landfill (and don't do something dumb like write it on a piece of masking take affixed to the front of the laptop - just use something long you'll remember like your complete address and telephone number from when you were a kid).

5) Practice pragmatic internet security. You are using the internet over Wi-Fi or at workstations in strange places. In China, especially, expect the local government to be trying to hack your PC. Assume that there are keystroke loggers at internet café workstations trying to capture your log-in information. Be VERY careful where and how you log into bank accounts, brokerage accounts and credit card accounts. Be pragmatically paranoid.

6) If you need business services like printing, scanning, etc., there are places abroad that do those services. Ask them to erase your files from their equipment. Bring a couple of memory thumb drives for carrying data (and protect them from loss or theft if they have ever held your data).

7) (This is the observation which has no scientific basis that I'm aware of, but have observed on a number of occasions). I have notices that, at some locations (generally not in true internet cafes, coffee shops, or some port facilities but sometimes at public Wi-Fi locations in parks, etc.), that even though a number of Windows users are merrily using the connection, someone with an i-Pad will take over the connection and knock them all off. I suspect it has to do with specific router settings and the ability of an i-Pad to usurp the maximum available bandwidth. If you own an I-Pad and find that when you connect, a bunch of people have immediate problems and get kicked off, you might consider being polite and moving to another hot spot. (It also might save wear and tear on an I-Pad which makes a reasonable facsimile of a Frisbee).

Even though my laptop has built-in Wi-Fi, I carry a TP-Link TL-WN822N external NIC with a higher gain antenna than the one in my laptop. This sits on a USB cable and gives me greater range and flexibility. It folds up small and is feather light. There are other similar gadgets pout there, but this happens to be the one I'm using.

Gerret's:

One of the best preparatory things everyone can do re: email is to get yourself off all those friends joke email lists (you know the ones, those 4mb slide shows etc.) or the store sale lists. These chew up time like nothing else.

Setting up a Laptop for shipboard use

Typically we are oblivious to how much our pc’s chatter over the internet even when we are not actually doing anything in particular. This is mostly due to being on high speed connections. Those of us old enough to remember 300 or 2400 baud modems will recall that efficiency was the name of the game.

And so it is with communication from shipboard. With 1200+ people on board there is a lot of contention for the satellite bandwidth. Judicious timing (5 AM seems to work :-( ) helps but in the end it matters what is going on in the background. Most of your bandwidth hogging issues will be from programs that want to call home and download updates. This affects Windows and Linux (each a bit differently but the effect is the same). As an experiment just look at the connection icon in your toolbar while not doing any browsing etc. If it is lit solid then one or more programs on your PC are wasting valuable and limited bandwidth.

Some things to do before leaving land:
?Disable auto OS updates (Windows or Linux). Most updates are multi MB in size, and you can surely live without them for a few weeks whilst travelling.
?Disable auto updates for anti virus software. Do an update before you leave to make you feel safer.
?Disable auto updates for Java. Java loves to download 9MB updates at least once a month!
?Uninstall programs you know that you won’t need. That way they won’t call home to look for updates.
?Switch Norton Personal firewall to ‘Ask Me what to Do’ mode. this will detect other chatty programs to deal with. Or just use the default ‘Block This Program’ option when asked. When in doubt whether to allow internet access, try using the Block option first.

Now that you are getting to use the full bandwidth for your actual needs, it is time to set up email and blogging in an optimum fashion.
?Outlook is the best option for handling email IMHO. Yes there are plenty of web based options but you have to be online for the full time that you are using them. At $0.50 or $0.75 per minute this adds up to a lot less drinks at the pool bar! By setting Outlook to collect your emails you limit your online time. Once collected, disconnect from the Internet, deal with your emails (delete or reply) then connect again.
?Outlook can be used to collect email from many POP and other sources. Examples are Gmail, Rogers.Yahoo, Hotmail, Sympatico etc. Set Outlook to only download email smaller than say 80kb. Anything larger you can decide whether to download or not.
?Set Outlook to only perform Send/Receive operations upon request. The default is once every 5 minutes, which can trigger lots of activity if like me you have 8 email addresses to check up on.
?Unsubscribe from chatty mail lists such as daily sale announcements (tigerdirect and NCIX are my favorites), weather reports, stock reports (depressing reading while on vacation anyway). You can re-subscribe when you get back.
?Windows Live Writer is probably the best blogging tool available, and it is free. The first time that you add a photo to a post, set reasonable defaults. E.g. limit the photo size to Small and then in Image Link To Options set the size to Medium. This will prevent your multi Mb photo files from being uploaded. At the bottom of the RH pane, select the Save Settings as Default so that you won’t forget for subsequent photos.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement