Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21962  
Subject: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/9/2012 12:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.
How can I find out how LARGE a photo I can get out of a digital file before it starts getting too blurry?

I don't know if these numbers help:
Width: 3264 pixels
Height: 2448 pixels
DPI: 180
Taken by a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS

Do you know of any good services online that do this? A place that would actually help determine how large it can get. Not just a "no-service" place that prints the size you ask for.

Thanks,
RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20806 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/9/2012 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Here's one calculator. Scroll down and use the bottom one:

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/1_calc...

Richard

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20807 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/9/2012 4:26 PM
Thanks Richard.
Bummer though. 18x12! Tiny.
I guess I need a better camera. But it's too late for what I wanted :(
Useful calculator though. Thanks.
RB

Author: EternalGrom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20808 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/9/2012 6:37 PM
With a well focused image you can go way bigger than 18X12. Probably 36X24 at least because of viewing distance. On top of that a good printer can upsample/downsample your image for you to squeeze some quality out of it. Don't give up!

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20809 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/9/2012 7:16 PM
Thanks EG! I'll check it out :)

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20810 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/10/2012 9:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
The issue is going to be the small sensor in the SD1100.

I had an image blown up to 4 foot by 6 foot of a fighter jet taken with a Canon 1D Mark II 8mp camera (same megapixels as yours) and the image looks great from 5 feet back. Stand on top of it, or get soo close that you cannot see the entire image and you can see some break up in the print, but even then it is still amazing.

Best thing to do it print part of the image on your desktop inkjet if you have one at home the size you would like it. For example if you want a 24x36 print, print it that size and you will only see a portion of it on you 8.5x11 printer. This will give you an idea of quality.

A real print shop is going to use software and or hardware to scale your image up and will do a better job that what you see at home. You could rez up the image in your editing program like Photoshop or Elements or even free GIMP.

Anyhow I bet you can make a decent size enlargement, the biggest issue is that damn small sensor in your point and shoot camera. They are great for small prints and at times can be blown up quite large if everything is perfect.

Time for a DSLR, even if it is a small cropped sensor DSLR.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20812 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/10/2012 11:45 PM
Thanks for the good info Canonian.
I don't have an inkjet, just a b&w laser.
Is there anything inbetween the point and shoots and the 500 buck DSLR's I'm seeing on Amazon?

Are there any good reliable online print shops that you know of?

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20819 of 21962
Subject: Re: Large print from digital photo Date: 11/14/2012 3:46 PM
Is there anything inbetween the point and shoots and the 500 buck DSLR's I'm seeing on Amazon?

Not really, there are more expensive P&S! A good used DSLR would do the trick. Remember you have to want to carry it.

There are tons of online print places:

snapfish.com
shutterfly.com

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement