Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Last April, my mother came to live us. She has health issues and lives on pension and social security. Can anyone tell me the tax deductions I might be entitled to.

You've already received information about the requirements for a dependency exemption. This is also covered in IRS Publication 501.

The rules for deducting medical expenses are slightly different, and you may be able to deduct expenses you paid for your mother even if she doesn't qualify as your dependent. See IRS Publication 502.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.