UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: folgore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35362  
Subject: Last high yield bond bargain? Date: 9/9/2010 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
As Charlie has stated before, the first half of 2009 was a golden age during which to build a high yield corporate bond portfolio. Investment grade bonds were yielding much higher than normal and junk bonds were selling at extraordinary discounts that made the added risk in investing in them worthwhile.

Unfortunately, I only purchased one batch of Prudential bonds during that golden moment. It yielded 10% and was rated in low A's -- investment grade. Since then, I've been chasing yield albeit while accepting greater risk. My bond portfolio is, therefore, largely based on junk bonds. (The batch of Prudential I purchased was called early!)

To try to up the average quality of my bond portfolio, I set the Etrade search engine to the low end of investment grade. The highest yielder is Tenneco Packaging Incorporated. They have three sets of bonds yielding 9% plus. They are rated Baaa2/BBB, but these rating date back to 2002! The parent company of Tenneco is Pactiv (PTV) which itself is being bought out by Reynolds Group Holdings. (The makers of Reynolds Wrap.)

My inclination is to think packaging is a pretty secure industry regardless of the state of the economy. Anyone have an opinion on Tenneco's bonds?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement