Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Poll: Have You Taken Action to Reduce Energy Date: 6/11/2008 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Last month we filled up three times between two cars, two of those being DW's. Given our activities, there's not much room to cut back there unless DW cuts back her volunteer activities. I think more strategically about making shopping trips, making fewer and trying to get more stuff done on each trip. But our gas consumption is close to rock-bottom anyway, so the savings are not terribly significant.

We keep the thermostat set a little cooler than we used to but not out of any desire to conserve--after seven years in OR we finally seem to be getting used to having a cooler house. And of course with no summers anymore, we are saving on A/C.

We are more conscious of not leaving lights on when not in a room. We switched to CFLs in a few lamps but the one I put in a ceiling can sucks compared to the regular bulb, so we are sticking with regulars until the gov't makes them unavailable or an alternative works better.

I wouldn't mind biking to the grocery store, but it's a long, steep hill to get back to our house, too steep to ride. (A number of regular bike riders in the neighborhood put their bikes on their car racks and drive down to the bottom of the hill with them.) It would be difficult to push a bike all the way home with grocery bags to boot.

We are still planning to fly places for travel. The only consideration there will be the increased cost, not the use of energy.

--fleg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement