Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LongHook Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 95718  
Subject: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 1:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 79
TMF has asked me not to post any more links to my non-commercial site, which is non-commercial and consists of my own articles on, well, football and games and stuff.

That was a happy compromise, at least for me.

But I've been informed that while posting a link to TMQ or an ESPN article is apparently okay, links to my OWN non-commercial site are not, since it is a "personal site", which I find somewhat confusing and hypocritical.

Hopefully others can see why I find that unacceptable. So, as of now, I will not longer be posting links, nor will I even be lurking. I really tried to work within their constraints, but now they have effectively said "Anything you have to say that is interesting, you need to say on TMF, period, otherwise you're not contributing what we consider value".

I had a REALLY good time here, you guys (and girls) have been great to talk football with. Take care, all, and good luck in the playoffs!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Draegerman Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19577 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 1:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Exhibit A (took about 5 nanoseconds to search):

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19971925

OTOH, trenchrat and co at www.trenchrat.com has played this rally like a fiddle. Hang out for $40 bucks a month and get intensive market coverage and then some and make real bucks not Precterian wishes for a crash. Dave, u 2 cheap imo (don't tell the natives I said that--don't want 2 get shot).

Exhibit B:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19945306

You might try hanging out here for a while and follow his stock calls.They are quite impressive.

http://www.trenchrat.com/cgi-bin/home.cgi

Exhibit C:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19479919

Ask the man himself...........www.trenchrat.com

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19585 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 10:30 AM
Recommendations: 0
"FWIW, as a lurker here for several years, I've admired and respected a great deal of your posts about football on this message board."

............and this is what it took for you to post???? ;)

What took so long?

Author: renyag Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19607 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
What took so long?

He was waiting for the Cowboys to have a better football season.

Oh, Longhook, sorry to hear you're still haveing spats with the cats that run the fool. Doesn't make sense to me, but than again, not much in life does make sense to me. I enjoy your analysis, and most of the time it's over my head, but it's obvious you are a student of the games.
May a buxom cheerleader bounce your way in 2004, and you'll still have the mental and physical capacities to remember what to do ~ best wishes ~ renyag

Author: EdC33 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19621 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 2:46 PM
Recommendations: 8
</lurk>

This is starting to get ridiculous.
Hook, I was hoping you'd get over it and come back but now I guess it isn't likely.
I know I'd be even more determined after this latest salvo from TMF. I've read most everything on <insert banned site here> but so far haven't registered.
I will now though, thanks to TMF having it's head where the sun don't shine.

I want the fool to apologise... NOW.
Brian Hook is one of the best contributors to the entire collection of boards. You guys are nuts to screw him around like this.

- Ed C

<lurk>

Author: EdC33 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19633 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 3:29 PM
Recommendations: 5
Oh Man, I'll never be a good poster, I always figure out things I should have said after I hit the send button.

Longhook is a good Writer
He is currently writing a book and I don't know off-hand if he can technically be called a professional Writer, but he has that ability to tear of reams of stuff that I for one, enjoy reading.
Right or wrong (and boy was he wrong on the AMD board earlier in 2003! ) I always read a post by Longhook. They are always readable, and frequently full of wry humour.
This place will be much poorer for his absence. If TMF expects me or people like me to take up the slack they're mistaken. I am not, nor are most people, a writer. It is almost painful for me to write even this much. My brain just doesn't work that way. Some of us are writers, people compelled to hit that submit button. Most of them should reconsider, but those that consistently turn out good stuff... these people need to be nurtured not punished. Without them this place will become a ghost town.

I ask this:
TMF - do you have so many talented people writing on these boards that you can carelessly toss them away for quoting 4 letter words?

As someone who has 26 boards listed as faves, I have to say NO YOU DON'T

- Ed C

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19634 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 3:31 PM
... people compelled to hit that submit button. Most of them should reconsider ...

Heh! About that, sorry.

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19648 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 5:36 PM
38 RECS???? I didn't know that many folks even read this board.

Author: EdC33 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19649 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 3
TMFBogey replied to your message at
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20086583
and opted to have it e-mailed to you.

Subject: Re: Last update for me

<<TMF - do you have so many talented people writing on these boards that
you can carelessly toss them away for quoting 4 letter words?>>

Hi Ed,

That isn't what happened. We never removed Hook for posting profanity. We
only removed the post and asked him not to do that again. His leaving was
his own choice, despite our attempts to smooth things out and get him to
post again.

Thanks,

Bogey

Report E-Mail Abuse
The Fool Community fosters an environment of civil and open debate.
However, some people abuse their privileges and send inappropriate
e-mails. If you believe the content of this e-mail violates our Rules,
please let us know:

1. Click this link: http://boards.fool.com/foolcop.asp?mid=20086583
2. Copy the entire contents of the e-mail you received.
3. Paste the e-mail into our web form.

Our Rules: http://www.fool.com/help/index.htm?display=community04

We know you didn't remove him for profanity, he removed himself for censorship.

- Ed

Posted and Emailed

Author: tecmo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19655 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 7:27 PM
I see both sides of this.

One side:
TMF doesn't want the boards to be used as a promotional device for people, this can be viewed as another form of SPAM.

The other side:
If people want to post on the boards links to sites that should be allowed, especially if we want to discuss something that is copyrighted.

I think this has to be a judgement call, if a poster is posting to many self promotion links, and people are getting upset/ofendended then TMF has to act. But a blanket rule doesn't work.

I don't know what LongHook did, or what the specific circumstances around his post being removed are but I would hope that TMF and LongHook could come to an agreement about how much self promotion was allowed.

cheers

tecmo

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19657 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 1/2/2004 10:20 PM
You will be missed over here, but then I'll check out your site. :-)

Donna

Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22225 of 95718
Subject: Re: Last update for me Date: 2/27/2004 10:24 PM
One side:
TMF doesn't want the boards to be used as a promotional device for people, this can be viewed as another form of SPAM.

Sorry to be so late to this party but there is one thing I would like to point out. If you follow the link below to the Skunk(s) board you will see in the announcements pane a link for CaveGirls personal website.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20387456

So why is it okay for the Fool to provide links to personal sites but users can't?

UKBB <there are others so don't think I'm just picking on CaveGirl, her's is just one I know>

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement