Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: larmstro One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3296  
Subject: Re: More CDN index funds Date: 7/17/2001 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Last week, my on-line brokerage (Schwab Canada) dropped their minimum commission from 
$33 to $25 (effective July 31).  So - that affects the computed mer taking into account
trading commissions.  So I've redone the numbers.

At current prices (XSP=$18CDA, IVV=$118U.S.), my commission is about $25/trade (was $35/
trade), representing a cost of 0.8-0.5%/trade.  (I tend to make one investment/contribution
a year, of about $3000-$5000 (Canadian).)  Over a ten-year period, ten trades X $25 = $250 
cost, spread out over an average portfolio of $20,000 (10X$4,000/2), amounts to a total cost 
of 1.25%, or .125%/year.  This .125% needs to be added to the mer, bumping the cost of XSP 
up to.425%, and the cost if IVV up to .215%.  [Is my arithmetic correct?] Even with these 
bumped-up costs, XSP and IVV are still the best choices available to me (see table following).  
And if the commissions go down, or I am able to purchase more than $4000/yr., this bumped-up 
cost gets smaller (in percentage terms).  And as my investment itself grows (excluding the 
annual contributions), this also contributes to the $25 annual trade-commission shrinking 
in percentage terms.

The following data summarize the choices of index funds/ETF's with a mer of .5%
or less, available to canucks.  They are grouped into Canadian-content and universal
funds/ETF's, sorted by mer's (lowest/best to highest), within each group.
iUnits S&P 500 RSP E.T.F. (XSP-T)       ETF     0.30    2001
iUnits S&P 500 RSP E.T.F. (incl. comm)  ETF     0.425   2001
TD U.S. RSP Index - e                   Fund    0.48    1999
Altamira Precision U.S. RSP Index       Fund    0.50    1998
                                            to specified professionals in Quebec)
Spiders (SPDRs) (SPY)                   ETF     0.12    1993
iShares S&P 500 Index Fund (incl. comm.)ETF     0.215   2000
Royal Premium U.S. Index                Fund    0.30    1998
TD U.S. Index (US$) - e                 Fund    0.31    1999
TD U.S. Index - e                       Fund    0.31    1999
http://www.amex.com/indexshares/index_shares_broad_based.stm (Amex ETF's - Exchange 
            Traded Funds (ETFs) on Broad-Based Indexes)

One further observation about the preceding table.  The funds/ETF's are split into two 
groups, one being deemed to be Canadian-content, i.e., your dollars are invested in 
Canadian companies/securities/banks, the second considered nonCanadian (or, 'universal'), 
i.e., any investment made in companies outside Canada.  The question has to be asked, then, 
how can a fund/ETF that tracks the S&P500 be deemed to be Canadian content.  I'm not sure 
of the technicalities/legalities, but this is how Barclay's explains their iUnits S&P500R 
investing technique (http://www.iunits.com/english/iunitsfunds/fundprofiles/i500r/index.html).

"The i500R fund seeks to provide long term capital growth by matching to the extent 
    possible the return of the S&P 500 Index, while remaining fully RSP-eligible [i.e., 
    qualifies as Canadian content]. To achieve this goal, the i500R Fund primarily invests 
    in exchange-traded futures contracts based on the S&P 500 Index and in high-quality 
    short-term money market instruments."
   "The i500R Fund will offer investors foreign currency exposure. This means that i500R 
    unit values will reflect changes in the value of the Canadian dollar vis-a-vis the US 
    dollar.  In this way the fund will replicate to the extent possible an investment in 
    a US-dollar denominated asset.The i500R fund will accomplish this goal by investing in 
    currency futures and forwards."

This means basically two things.  
-iUnits qualify as Canadian content, and thus are not subject to the 30% nonCanadian 
restriction.  If one wanted to, one could invest 100% of one's savings in iUnits, or 
any of the funds/ETF's in the first group.  
-The second key point is that iUnits will reflect any fluctuation in the exchange rate 
between the Canadian and U.S. dollar.  For example, if on any given day the S&P500 were 
to remain unchanged, but the Canadian dollar was to fall from 66¢U.S. to 65¢U.S. (a decline 
of approx. 1.5%) in that same day, the value of iUnits (which are traded in Canadian 
dollars on the TSE) would increase by the same percentage (1.5%), just as it would if 
you held a U.S. stock that remained unchanged during a day when the Canadian dollar's value 
fell.
And vice versa.

-pepi
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement