Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Last year I started this work on ROMV. I guess I think its pretty interesting although it hasn't sparked much attention. But hey -- each to his own.

Here's an example of what I started doing.

Cooper Tire & Rubber (CTB)

Price $23.86 on 02/25/2014

Source: Magic Formula (Gurufocus website)

ROMV -- $3.58 (15%*$23.86)

Estimate for 2014 was $2.54.
Estimate at time TTM was $3.73
Gurufocus showed $4.02 in Dec'11

So it seemed that $3.58 was within the operational capability of CTB.

So I highlighted CTB as worth doing more diligence.

CTB now is trading at ~$41 and Dec'15 EPS is $2.99 and Dec'16 is $3.36.

So Dec'16 isn't quite at $3.58 but the stock has already appreciated 50% from when initially found as a diligence candidate. Note that 10X * $3.58 = $35.8, which would have been 50% gain.

This would have been a successful application of CTB if I had done diligence on Dec'16 EPS and verified it as reasonable estimate.

Another example highlighted was Molina Health that turned out positive over that time frame.

Examples that I flagged for additional diligence/watchlist.

ARO: nope, more attractive today?
BXC: nope, what about today?
TITN: nope, what about today?
GDOT: nope, what about today? looks like should review again
IPAR: well a story worth following -- break-even-ish after material decline since initial screen

Ones I panned after quick ROMV review; possible watchlist but no recommended diligence:

DGSE: nope
GAI: nope
GMAN: nope, might have watched with intermediate continued price decline
BONT: nope
WPRT: nope
AEPI: maybe -- ???
GEVO: nope
FBP: nope -- financial, tend to stay away for now
BTH: nope
MRLN: nope -- but on the move now
ATNI: nope -- but also on the move; interesting movement after initial screen; magic formula screen
ALDW: yes -- but rocky with huge move last Nov/Dec; interesting
TFM: yes -- but rocky with continued downard slide through July/Aug 2014

I'm not sure there is a huge takeway except that I was able to take various screens like 52-week-low or Magic Forumula and them run them through the ROMV process to identify companies worth additional due diligence. A couple of the more interesting names did pan out but many did not. Some got cheaper in the interim which would have been worth doing a follow up to recheck the assumptions.

And note that one of the highlighted firms (made the diligence/watchlist) is owned by a value manager that uses the ROMV process. It is also one that hasn't worked out so clearly the diligence is a key ingredient and that just because a firm can hit the numbers to generate a buy signal -- doesn't mean it will be successful.

chessburger
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement