Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mawhinney Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Laszlo Birinyi Date: 9/9/2000 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Looking for information or sources of information on Laszlo Birinyi, his philosphy on investing, stock picks, mutual funds he runs.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jpkiljan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5065 of 19483
Subject: Re: Laszlo Birinyi Date: 9/13/2000 1:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Author: mawhinney Date: 9/9/00 3:24 PM Number: 5033
Looking for information or sources of information on Laszlo Birinyi, his philosphy on investing,
stock picks, mutual funds he runs.

Hello Maw,

He has a a web page

http://lbirinyi.com/to_www/index.cfm

but I don't think it has much. He is usually bullish on the US market overall. I see him on Wall$treet Week with Louis Rukeyser on PBS from time to time (not much on their web page either) and I hang on his every word because of his overall stock picking performance compared to the other 'elves' on the show.

Last New year's, when the program invites the best stock pickers of the year back to make their predictions, something unusual happened as I recall. He picked some large-cap value stocks and they have not done very well so far this year. Sorry, but I did not send in the five bucks W$W wants for a printed version of the elves' recommendations for 2000 and I cannot remember exactly what he was recommending. In past years, and unfortunately for me, I recall not buying his recommended stocks because I thought the PE ratios were just too high for my tastes.

Still, this was three months before the growth tech stocks peaked in March and then promptly fell 30%; and, despite his nine-month fall from Rukeyser performance-tracking grace, I cannot but help wonder if he has just seen the future a little earlier than the others and he may, indeed, be one of the first to see a return to days of value investing. I will still be hanging on his every word.

Hope this helps,

-- John

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5066 of 19483
Subject: Re: Laszlo Birinyi Date: 9/14/2000 3:20 PM

, I cannot but help wonder if he has just seen the future a little earlier than the others and he may, indeed, be one of the first to see a return to days of value investing. I will still be hanging on his every word.

The first time I heard from the Fools, they were on one of the financial shows on the tube, wearing those funny hats. I enjoyed the way they made fun of investment advisors and market pundits. Having watched financial shows for some years, I already had come to believe (as noted by the Fools) that none of the pundits knew anything about what they were talking about. Market pundits use the circular theory of investment advising. If the market is going up, the advisors suggest that you either invest (because the market will continue to go up) or to sell (because the market is about to go down). If the market is going down, the advisors suggest that you either invest (because the market is about to go up) or to sell (because the market will continue to go down). I think this is why investment cycles are called "cycles." The brokerage houses are the worst. All these folks want is to generate fees. Most investment news letter are nothing more than a solo advisor's shot at the big time. In the end, an investor can do no better than to buy and hold, as suggested by the Fools in the funny hats.

Author: vargaj Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5079 of 19483
Subject: Re: Laszlo Birinyi Date: 9/16/2000 6:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
My take on Lazlo Berinyi is evidently a lot different than ResNullius's, because it is my observation that of all the pundits in the media Lazlo is one of a handful that knows how to pick stocks. The problem with Lazlo is that he charges for his advice and I am not willing to pay for it, but anyone who does, should do pretty well. His record is astounding. His methods are evidently based on cash flow analysis and does not place a lot of weight on the indicators that most pundits use. Which explains in my opinion, why most pundits are a waste of time and sometimes money too.

Joe Varga

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement