Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mojavemystic Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 948  
Subject: Late Bloomer? Date: 3/10/2008 8:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Everyone,
I must say that I was surprised to see a Soberfool! I am a female, 45 years old who just got into the workforce 2 years ago. When I quit drinking, I wanted to do something with my life so I went back to college and earned a Bachelors degree. I currently work with juvenile felons in private industry. The pay is just OK and I am able to sock away about four to five hundred dollars a month to savings/retirement.

I realize I am way behind many of my peers in both experience and retirement savings and this has me concerned. I currently save 10% of my income (not yet matched by my employer but will be soon) to my 401b plan. In a Scottrade account, I also have stock in abxa, ftek, trbr, and bni. Also shares of a PAX world fund.

My question is, what would be the best way for me to start saving for my retirement? I was thinking annuties or mutual funds. I dont want anything else high risk.

Thanks and peace,
Joy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 943 of 948
Subject: Re: Late Bloomer? Date: 3/11/2008 5:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I wandered over here during work......a long, slow night. You may want to repost this on a busier investment board - not much action over here it looks like.

I would go for mutual funds, I hear Vandguard are good ones. You have a start with your 401b plan.

Author: billwdude CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 944 of 948
Subject: Re: Late Bloomer? Date: 9/21/2008 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Welcome to a wonderful world. I have to watch my emotional side on this investing stuff. Good thing I am in for the long haul.

I am a late bloomer as well, just started this year. Interesting and exciting too.

Lot's of good advise here. Never thought I would be comfortable being guided by a fool for my investments.

But then again, a fool had been running my life for a long time, me.

Make every moment count and WOW time adds up quick.

Grateful and Blessed

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement