UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: A2Ninja Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Late life retirement investing Date: 7/23/2010 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools,

My father in law recently informed me that he'd like my help investing the money that he has amasssed for his retirement. I've got a strategy that I've come up with, but I was hoping to get some advice from those of you who are much wiser than myself.

First off, let me give you some information about my Father in law and his finances. He is a 60 year old diabetic who is otherwise fairly healthy. His monthly expenses are approximately $2,300 (inclusive of $700 for health insurance). He's self employed and in recent years has been making about $1,666 per month ($20,000 per year). So currently he is operating at a monthly deficit of $634 before taxes. He owns his car, is renting an apartment and has no debt worthy of mention. He is also single with no dependents.

Over the years he has accumulated $525,000 that he currently has in a very low yielding money market account at flagstar. Based on his social security statement, if he waits 6 years to retire when he is 66, he will receive $1,150 per month. Assuming his expenses do not change significantly after retirement, that leaves him with a net monthly deficit of $1,150. Based on his savings with a 0% growth rate, he could live for about 39 years after retirement, assuming no additional expenses arose that weren't covered by some other source (i.e. Medicare, medicaid, other insurance, etc).

According to some rough calculations I did, at a conservative 4% growth rate and using the 2006 life expectancy tables, he should be able to invest $300,000 today, fund his operating deficit till retirement, then live off of the investment and 4% earnings on the remaining corpus until he is 80(expected age) with almost $40,000 of a buffer.

I'm toying with the strategy of segregating his money into two pools, one for the minimum requirement to retire and the other for the excess. I'd use a very conservative investment strategy on the required amount (~$300,000) and something slightly more aggressive for the remaining $125,000. Now I'm open to any insight and input that you may have related to anything that I said, but I'm specifically looking for advice on the following:

1) I'm not sure what additional expenses I should budget for as my father in law ages. I know what his expenses are today, but I don't know if there is a financial planning standard that is used to budget for aging expenses.

2) How would you structure the very conservative investment and how would you structure the less conservative investment? Or would you take a different approach altogether. Feel free to get specific.

3) I would probably utilize a Roth IRA vehicle for a portion of the less conservative investment pool since he is in the 15% tax bracket right now, I expect tax rates to rise in the future, and contributions are limited so the tax free gains outweigh the tax deduction savings for his current tax bracket after about 4 years at a 4% rate.

4) Any other advice you have about how to structure this investment?

Thanks to everybody for their time, knowledge and input!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement