UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: math999man Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308517  
Subject: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees ? Date: 2/4/2014 8:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I missed a CC payment of $1200 after years with the same CC company. I pay a fee of $80 for "membership" to hold this CC and use it so they can get a cut of my purchases. I also have 500,000 points for a big screen TV, MAC, etc.. if I want.

How to approach them and ask that they erase and fee and / or interested on my 2 day late payment ?

I really do not want to dump the CC since I have so may points. But I have never paid interest before in my life.

I missed the payment from not paying attention to my windows notes telling me the payment was due, so I did not set up the bank to send the funds.

How to approach them and ask that they erase and fee and / or interest on my 2 day late payment ?

math999man
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307796 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/4/2014 8:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3

How to approach them and ask that they erase and fee and / or interest on my 2 day late payment ?

I'd just call, explain that it was your error, and ask if they will erase the late fee and the interest since they can see that this is a first for you, and you have been a very good customer over the years.

I once had a payment get lost in the mail, and only noticed it because I went online to check on a charge. I called the credit card company, explained that I had mailed it, but I could see that it had not been credited to the account nor had it cleared, and asked what could be done. They did not charge the late fee or interest (this was DH's business card, so we make a lot of charges on that every month), but the woman did suggest I move into this century and start paying online, which I did.

My experience is that most companies will work with you on errors such as this

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307798 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/4/2014 9:18 PM
Recommendations: 5
Many credit card companies will waive a late payment fee once every 12 months, especially if it's a card with an annual fee.

Fuskie
Who doesn't know why you would have to close the account because you missed a payment, but they won't waive the fee and interest, you should consider just paying it and congratulate yourself on takinging 22 years before missing a payment...

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307799 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/4/2014 9:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
I have my CC's set up on auto payments, it makes the minimum payment on the day due just in case something happens and I don't pay it off that month. This is like an insurance policy against a late payment. If I pay it off, then there is no minimum due, no payment pulled. (I make it for the minimum so if there is fraud and a huge charge made on the CC, I don't risk having a huge amount transfered out of checking causing all sorts of problems)

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307800 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/5/2014 6:04 AM
Recommendations: 10
as suggested by others, just ask.

Don't make excuses, just say I forgot, and this is the first time in 22 years I have been late, can this fee be waived.

I also suggest that you go into the call with an attitude of "Please and thank you"
and not armed for confrontation.

peace & being nice goes a loooooong way with customer service people
t

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307803 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/5/2014 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Something similar just happened to me. We were on a lengthy vacation and did not have our mail forwarded. I thought I had set up all of my bills to pay online, but I missed one "irregular" bill. Got a phone call from the company asking when I will pay...realized my error, paid my bill, but then noticed a $25 late fee was added to my bill.

One polite phone call later, the $25 fee was removed. As others have suggested, a phone call is all it takes.

Isewquilts

Author: dp23peace Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307814 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/5/2014 10:16 PM
I'm almost positive that if you just call they will forgive you. Just tell them what you told us.

Author: Lwise Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307844 of 308517
Subject: Re: Late Payment - how to talk to CC erase fees Date: 2/13/2014 5:44 PM
As stated by previous posters, I would call the CC company and politely ask for the late fee to be waived. I have done so, and I do not have the excellent payment history that you have, OP.

If this is the first time in 22 years, you're making a late payment, it should not be a problem at all.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement