UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CalHenline Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Late Start. . .Need help with a Plan Date: 11/8/1999 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I hope this message board is the place to get some Foolish advice.
My wife and I own a little S corp. We established a self-directed KEOUGH in 98. We both have IRA's established 2 years ago. I need some idea of how much we need to invest each year to build some sort of structure to provide for retirement (someday).
I have been following the FOOL for about 9 months now. I completed Tom Gardner's Investment Seminar.
The foolish 4 is a little unclear due to Companies being dropped from the dow.
The age odometer turned 60 in June this year. Has anyone found a way to roll it back?? I think I can plan on an investment working for me for about 10 years but don't have the 25/30 years for the compounding magic to work. I'm conservative by nature. I have no problems investing in solid, growth stocks but don't think I want to play the speculation game that some stocks/mutual funds want you to join.
If anyone has trod this path and has any advice to offer, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks from big D (Dallas)
Cal
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15228 of 75383
Subject: Re: Late Start. . .Need help with a Plan Date: 11/9/1999 10:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi Cal, Welcome to the board.

It is very important that the investments you make be ones you are comfortable with.

Current thinking is that you are likely to be retired for about 30 years. Therefore, you need to put a signficant portion of your retirement money in stocks to have inflation protection. If you are uncomfortable with that, then scale it back, but do put as much in as you are comfortable with.

Foolish Four is not a bad way to do this. You can get details of Foolish Four on that board. Otherwise, an S&P Index fund is reasonably safe. Fools believe it will average 12% return over time with occasional gaps for corrections.

You can put your money in fixed income investments if you are very concerned about stocks. There is a Bond board where we can discuss this option in greater detail if you like. But do focus on stocks.

As to how much you will need, work through the Foolish retirement planning procedure. They will tell you to calculate your expected living expenses after retirement and the portion to made up from investments. Then multiply by 20 to 30 to get the amount of assets you will need. There is a retire early board where these aspects are discussed.

Best of luck to you.

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15352 of 75383
Subject: Re: Late Start. . .Need help with a Plan Date: 11/13/1999 3:13 PM
I'm conservative by nature. I have no problems investing in solid, growth stocks but don't think I want to play the speculation game that some stocks/mutual funds want you to join.>>

A couple of pages back on this board, there is a thread called Rising Dividends, Anyone? which might interest you.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement