No. of Recommendations: 0
I know there are a lot of free things I could do, that are fun (walking in the park, etc.), but there are some hobbies I would like to get into, but they can be very expensive.

Does any have any suggestions on how to do hobbies and still LBYM.

Examples of hobbies I am interested in (this doesn't mean I will do all these hobbies, they are just ones I am interested in right now). Any thoughts would be helpful (but I'm not looking for - "go for a walk instead). Sometimes life is about trying things - I just don't want to go overboard.

If it helps any, I live in South Florida.

Golf (I already own the clubs)

Rock climbing (I do not own any equipment, and I've heard it is scary to rent this type of equipment) - I'd been willing to join a club or something, I've heard sometimes that that is more cost effective.

River rafting/kayaking (did I spell that right)?

Backpacking/hiking (do not even own a tent or a sleeping bag).

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kappy

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Kappy!

Hiking is an excellent LBYM hobby to do. I'm overseas and the opportunity to hike is pretty amazing, to say the least... a group of us get together on a few occasions and we pack a lunch, our cameras, a few bottles of water and catch the subway out to a distance a short ways away. The subway runs about $1 round trip. Park fees vary here, but if you get there before 9 am, admittance is free.

The scenery is lush and exotic, the trails are rough, but wonderful. The pace is slow and the fun is incredible! It is a great way to spend a morning and still have the afternoon and evening available...

No. of Recommendations: 1
Re backpacking/hiking & not owning tent or sleeping bag: among your options are these: borrow from friend, neighbor or relative; rent a model/brand you are interested in buying; buy from thriftstore; buy off-season or from discounted items in catalog like campmor or sierra trading post; make-do (good weather areas only) with heavy 4mil or 6mil plastic and cord between two trees (rain shelter) and wool blanket. The main essentials for backpacking/hiking (limited time version) is good comfortable well-fitting shoes, then a windbreaker and woolshirt or sweater,hat or cap and longsleeved garment, water and container, and emergency food, map, compass,matches,flashlight, small emergency firstaid (tweezers, baking soda for insect stings, sunburn, etc.) Most of this you probably have around the house & in your home/car emergency kit. Try the hiking first, walking in large park or beach. Unfortunately, backpacking/hiking is more expensive now due to increased fees (yes--even for day use only) at state and federal parks....also parking fees, and increasing transportation costs to get to backpacking/hiking location.
I think picking the right hobbies is more than half the battle. I am into gardening (and eating the vegetables) and appliance repair.
Your list is full of physical activity. Gardening was suggested, I love that but it can be expensive if you are setting up for the first time. So you might consider doing it for other people and get paid (or is that too much like work? It isn't for me).

There is the runner or cycle club/group as well.
Neighborhood softball co-ed league.

Seek Group discounts. Find an outfitter that will give discounts to groups and pool together some friends who also want to rock climb. Out fit all of you at a lower rate.

Not so physical but still very fulfilling:

Sign up with your local library to be a part of the reading club which can be reading to young children or being a part of a book discussion group. I like the reading to the kids :-)

or

Take a cooking class

Volunteers to read to hospitalized kids are also appreciated.
My LBYM Hobby is garage selling and then selling the goodies on Ebay and half.com.........sometimes when you do what you really "enjoy" (for me the pursuit of a bargain), you can actually do quite well.

barky
I post on the Motley Fool!

Well it's free and it's fun and I learn new things everyday.

I bought a computer game, Unreal Tournament, that has many new features you can add as they are developed so the game is almost endless. It's not one where you solve it or get stuck and you've wasted your money.

I want to do kayaking / white water rafting. I figure I'll have to go on an activity holiday to get to do that (I'm in London, England). I'm a little concerned that I wear glasses for being shortsighted and wouldn't enjoy it half as much by taking them off, but not sure if you can buy special goggles to keep the water off them. Have to look into that.

Learning about investing and better money management is a hobby of mine.

Self development another.

Movies I love but see few good ones now. Perhaps 2-3 a month at best, so few really good films to see these days.

Petey
-- Can you tell just how bored I am right now? lol
Backpacking/hiking is a great hobby that's very inexpensive. Don't be afraid to invest in a good pair of hiking boots. But the tent can be a lightweight little pup tent, and the backpack does not have to be designed by Perry Ellis. There are many places you can hike and camp, paying little or nothing in access fees.

I have little knowledge or interest in the other hobbies so I can't help you there.
lol--go for a nice walk tomorrow if it isn't too drizzley (I assume one would be viewed askance or muggable if walking at 1am in the city? Is there night public transit, or is it risky?)
If it helps any, I live in South Florida.

Rock climbing ...

Sorry kappy, but LOL. Your greatest expense for this hobby is going to be travel. Don't you have to go several hundred miles to even SEE a rock? I'd say joining a climbing gym is your best option.

This is just a bit of teasing from one who feels your pain. I live on the coast in NW FL. I love to hike, but a stroll on bug-infested flat ground isn't my idea of fun. I have to travel 350 miles to N GA to find a decent hill.
I bought a computer game, Unreal Tournament, that has many new features you can add as they are developed so the game is almost endless. It's not one where you solve it or get stuck and you've wasted your money.

I bought it too. Paid $19.99 (during a 48-hour sale) for it but have never had time to play it. Actually, I stopped building the cheap game computer I was working on because it took 2 months for the really-good-price video card to come in and by that time I was way too busy. But someday, even if I have to put it on my old, slow computer.

MikE

I bought it too. Paid $19.99 (during a 48-hour sale) for it but have never had time to play it. Actually, I stopped building the cheap game computer I was working on because it took 2 months for the really-good-price video card to come in and by that time I was way too busy. But someday, even if I have to put it on my old, slow computer.

MikE

Yes, computer games are one of those areas where you can save money if you are willing to wait. In the end I got UT for £20 instead of the usual £30-35, so that wasn't too bad. A lot of the time these shoot-em-up type games later have expansion packs released and if you are prepared to wait then they will eventually offer them as one pack at a discounted rate. Usually the same or cheaper than the original new price. Or you can always buy second-hand. The best thing about this strategy is that you can usually download the playable demo, so you can first see if you would really like the game and second whether it will run on your system. Often I'm happy enough with the demo to be quite honest, but with things like UT and Delta Force I have got real value out of the purchases.

Petey
I don't know if creative writing is your flair, but had you ever watched a TV show and think, "I can do better than that!"?

I do. I have fun writing fanfiction, creating characters, and playing them on web-based role-playing games! There's all sorts of stuff to do, based on science fiction, fantasy, swords and sorcery... in fact, my alias, Spirit Corsair, is from an RPG game character I have in a campaign based off the Japanese cartoon show, Sailor Moon.

Be imaginative, and you can have a blast!
If you're interested in camping, I'd suggest getting your supplies through Cheaper Than Dirt catalog (don't know the address sorry) and Sportsman's Guide. You may want to consider the low-cost, survival-oriented camping that I do. Why camp if you're going to bring a SUV and portable TV?
Rock climbing... River rafting/kayaking... ...Backpacking/hiking (do not even own a tent or a sleeping bag).

Dare I say it....You could be a volunteer scout leader!

Also, the old bf who introduced me to TMF was also into "Ultralight Camping." That is, hiking and camping with only minimal supplies. Very much worth investigating.

Here's a link to get started:
http://www.dancris.com/~vole/index.html#Questions

Kappy asked about something a little more involved than just "going for a walk" that nonetheless wouldn't hurt his budget.

My take on LBYM recreation:

Begin by accepting that you are probably going to have to spend some money, particularly for the type of activities you suggested. If your budget just won't bear it, consider visiting museums (many offer free admission once/month or discount passes) etc. But I tend to agree with the poster a few weeks back who said he thought the “L” in LBYM meant fishing, and that he pinched pennies elsewhere so he could spare no expense chasing fish.

That said, there are two primary strategies for keeping your recreational budget in line. On the one hand, you can pick a pastime you truly enjoy – say golf – and then look for ways to reduce your expenditures – golfing at public courses, taking advantage of twilight hours discounts, and so. Or, you can adopt the strategy I prefer, and pick hobbies that minimize your ongoing expenses. Consider, for example, the difference between snowboarding and surfing. Both require heaving initial investment in equipment, but only the former requires an ongoing investment in the form of lift tickets.

Thus many sports that require moderate to high initial investments (such as kayaking, camping, cycling, tennis and others) can be quite cost effective. Once you have the equipment, there isn't much else to buy.

I would recommend buying quality gear so that you can get the best combination of comfort, enjoyment and durability. Of course, you can also apply many of the other LBYM tips offered on these boards, and look for previous-model-year equipment at the stores (where often the only change is the color) or good used equipment.

AF

-watching the cost per use on my surfboard drop since 1902

I do "freelance" game product demos for small companies. I get about $1000 in pre-tax dollars of games each year, and they get cheap labor to show off their products. (: I don't think most sporting equipment will give individual "freelancers" product, but I bet if you did some sort of work for a retail store (eg. gave classes at REI), you'd get some sort of product discount or credit.

And, of course, you can always buy used stuff from people who buy stuff they don't use.

Washu! ^O^
Backpacking/hiking (do not even own a tent or a sleeping bag).

Hiking and backpacking do not necessarily include overnight camping. You can have a fine time just day tripping.

It sounds like you probably don't have any experience in camping. Experience is directly proportional to ruined equipment. If you don't have any equipment, you can't stand much experience -- that is to say you are going on a test of survival skills, not a casual outing.

How about a picnic in the park?
Are there any stores like Second Time Around in your area that offer formerly-used (buy & sell) sports and outdoor equipement? I've heard there prices are reasonable, especially for a) those who don't want to invest too much in a new activity and b) growing children who need different size in equipment, ie, skates etc. Play It Again is the store name in my nearby area.
<I do "freelance" game product demos>

Ooh, how did you hook up that gig?
<< Ooh, how did you hook up that gig? >>

This probably applies for many small companies, but for non-computer hobby games (CCGs in particular), it's especially easy. Game conventions will let you in for free if you run a game. Some game retailers will have game demo events, and thus an established audience for any games you wish to run.

Game companies are nowadays putting their web site address on their products. Find the site and there's usually an email address of someone to contact. Ask if they have a demo program. Introduce yourself, tell them how long you've been playing their product, and explain which conventions and stores are in the area.

Essentially, you're selling your services to companies with product that is best demonstrated in person to sell. They can't send someone from their staff to demo the product, so you're there selling it for them.

Hmm... Anyone around here go to county fairs? (:

Washu! ^O^
Advertisement