UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884963  
Subject: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 2:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ha, not that I have one, mind, you, but I'm hoping a Fool out there in Fooldom has a solution for me. My upstairs shower base is acrylic and white. It's got those little bumps in it that seem to collect stains. I guess when one washes (and perhaps I should ask $IQ about this), but it seems that the dirt would run off one's body and onto the shower base, where it drains down the drain. I have no idea why it doesn't stay white. It looks like DH scrubs army boots in there.

In the past, I have tried mixing every solution under the sun to clean it. The only thing that worked was pouring on bleach, and then mixing it with abrasive cleanser and scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing with a brush for hours and hours. Surely, there has got to be an easier way. NO OXYCLEAN . . . TELL ME IT ISN'T SO. Isn't there something I can send DH to the store to buy that works on this? We've spent a fortune on things like Tilex, Lime Away, Shower Cleaner, Cleansers and Bleach.

There should be a way to make the shower base look as good as new, but I don't have the foggiest idea what to try. Help, help.

elizabeth (I can smell the Tilex all the way down the hall)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250988 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Have you tried scrubbing bubbles? My DH swears by 'em. Leave on for ten minutes, then scrub.

-mapletree

Author: kp0023 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250990 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 2:59 PM
I have to tell you that I had the same problem and then I read about baking soda and vinegar another board. I was willing to try anything and I had the ingredients at home. Guess what?? They worked for me and are not harmful chemicals. Try it and let me know if it works for you.

I used mostly baking soda with a shot of vinegar started scrubbing and then rinsed and did some more. Get ready to do some scrubbing.

MinKim

Author: AngryPuppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250994 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:02 PM
I've used Formula 409 on my stovetop to get rid of baked on grease. Let it soak, almost to the point of drying, then scrub away. If that doesn't work then you have really dirty feet!

Author: kikichewie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250998 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:07 PM
This happened at the apartments I've rented and maintenance said there was nothing that could be done about it.

To hide it, they would use softscrub on it and then let it dry, forming a white film over the bottom of the tub.

Then, when the person moves in and takes that first shower - voila! Dirty tub! And they think they're the ones that caused it.

Moral of the story - stick to porcelain tubs if you have the choice.

I use this trick now when I move out of apartments, to make sure the place looks spotless. I also spray WD-40 on the faucets and stuff because it makes them really shiny with no streaks or water spots. (Had to learn this stuff when I had landlords that would take your security deposit for nothing)

Author: kikichewie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250999 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
By the way, the more scrubbing with abrasive cleaners and tools you do, the worse the problem will be because you're putting little scratches all over the place that hold dirt and stains.

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251006 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:13 PM
Have you tried scrubbing bubbles? My DH swears by 'em. Leave on for ten minutes, then scrub.

Hmmm . . . no, I haven't. But aren't those the things that scrub by themselves and take dirt along with their little smiling faces down the drain? Why would I have to leave it on for 10 minutes and then scrub? Part of the problem, I think, is I wash out my hair dye in the shower, too.

elizabeth

Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251008 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:17 PM
Hmmm . . . no, I haven't. But aren't those the things that scrub by themselves and take dirt along with their little smiling faces down the drain? Why would I have to leave it on for 10 minutes and then scrub? Part of the problem, I think, is I wash out my hair dye in the shower, too.

Sadly, the real bubbles don't come with smiling faces teeny bubble legs, and they don't go down the drain by themselves.

I think the operative ingredient is bleach, but it definitely works better than plain bleach. Maybe the bubbles make it 'stick' more or something.

For water stains and things like that, you don't need to scrub, but for other things, there is no relief. I find a green scrubbie pad is the most effective, even though it will start to disintegrate and shed green fibers.

-mapletree

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251011 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:23 PM
I've always had pretty good success with filling the tub with water to above the ring/stains, adding a few cups of bleach, and letting it sit overnight.

If you have a shower curtain liner (the clear or "frosted" kind) that has gotten nasty, you can also soak it in the tub overnight, and it will get rid of those pink mold and black mildew stains.

frissy

Author: whitemiata Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251012 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:24 PM
My mom would use muriatic acid. I'm assuming that's a somewhat diluted version of HCL.

I dunno if there are any counterindications though. Mom's still apparently healthy, the bathrooms would be spotless... but I did turn out like this.

So if you had kids, maybe I wouldn't do it <grin>

Alessandro

P.S. I don't need to point out the wonderful advantages of wearing heavy duty gloves when handling acid, do I? I don't think this is what they mean when ladies talk about exfoliating :-)

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251016 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:29 PM
I've always had pretty good success with filling the tub with water to above the ring/stains, adding a few cups of bleach, and letting it sit overnight.

This is a shower. No tub. A stand-alone shower with an acrylic shower base. I hadn't thought about trying to plug the drain, but I suppose I could buy one of those flat rubber thingies and see if that worked . . .

elizabeth

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251017 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:30 PM
Has anyone tried CLR? I'm considering it, but I have no experience with it as a product. They've got a kitchen and bathroom cleaner, too.

CPAScott

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251022 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:33 PM
My mom would use muriatic acid. I'm assuming that's a somewhat diluted version of HCL.

Muriatic acid is just another name for hydrochloric acid (HCL). Your mother was just diluting the acid. But it is a dangerous substance and it would not be wise to use inside the house.

To see a material safety data sheet (MSDS) on the chemical, look here:
http://www.oxychem.com/products/msds/m34514.pdf

IF

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251025 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:37 PM
Frissy,

I thought it was just some peculiarity of my family and/or housemates that made the shower curtains turn pink! I never knew others had that problem, I really thought everyone else's turned a regular color from mildew. (like, green or blue or something)

Today, I am not ashamed, any more.

:-)

-Molly

Author: suelder Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251029 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:42 PM
The thing that works best for me is a tip I got right here on LBYM:

Take one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with enough gel dishwasher detergent to make a thick paste. Wet down the tub and scrub.

This gets it cleaner than anything else I've tried, including Oxyclean.
(Yep, I succumbed.)

Suelder
With sparkling tubs since 1902

Author: ForfeitBeckCash One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251032 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:45 PM

I dunno if there are any counterindications though. Mom's still apparently healthy, the bathrooms would be spotless... but I did turn out like this.

Muriatic acid is just another name for hydrochloric acid (HCL). Don't assume it is diluted!!! Also, acid can etch your shower stall walls; be aware of what the concentration of acid is you are using.

Below clip copied from a waste management/handling site for chemicals
Hazardous Waste Management

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Muriatic Acid (HCl)

Hazards

Muriatic/hydrochloric acid causes severe irritation or burns to skin and eyes.
Vapors may irritate respiratory tract.
Handling

Wear clothing that covers exposed skin areas. Use gauntlet-style acid-resistant gloves and eye protection when working with acid.
Use only in well ventilated areas.
Always add acid to water…never add water to acid.
Do not mix muriatic acid with any other chemicals

Author: whitemiata Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251034 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:49 PM
Muriatic acid is just another name for hydrochloric acid (HCL). Your mother was just diluting the acid. But it is a dangerous substance and it would not be wise to use inside the house.

In Italy they sell Muriatic Acid in stores, for cleaning purposes. I am nearly 100% sure that it's pre-diluted... meaning that you're not buying straight HydroChloric Acid, rather a 50% or lower ratio to water.

Yes it is an acid, and of course you shoudln't drink it, pour it over your eyes, stay in a small room with it while reading war & peace... etc.

It doesn't have ANY negative effects if used properly and safely. Other than irritation possibly, and bleach does that too.

It is however, extremely effective as a cleaner.

It's sorta like a supersharp knife. You need to be extra careful with it so you don't get cut, you can't keep it within reach of the kids, but there are things you can't do without it.

Alessandro

P.S. Can't do here can be replaced with *in a reasonable amount of time* ... I'd rather spend 5 minutes with a proven chemical, observing all the needed caution, rather than spend 20 minutes rubbing my heart away :-)

P.P.S. Probably because of "safety issues" I have a horrible time finding Muriatic Acid around here. Any idea where I can find it?

Author: hippomotomus Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251035 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 3:50 PM
Has anyone tried CLR?

Yes, it's pretty good stuff. It is great for removing hard water stains and rust. I don't know about that stuff that settles into the bottom of showers though. I never tried it there.

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251037 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:00 PM

Sadly, the real bubbles don't come with smiling faces teeny bubble legs, and they don't go down the drain by themselves.

I think the operative ingredient is bleach, but it definitely works better than plain bleach. Maybe the bubbles make it 'stick' more or something.

For water stains and things like that, you don't need to scrub, but for other things, there is no relief. I find a green scrubbie pad is the most effective, even though it will start to disintegrate and shed green fibers.

I second the scrubbing bubbles suggestion. I use a sponge that has one side with scrubbing stuff, scotch brite has a pink sponge with white scrubby stuff that works well.

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251041 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:02 PM
P.P.S. Probably because of "safety issues" I have a horrible time finding Muriatic Acid around here. Any idea where I can find it?

Try a plumbing supply place. Have you tried Home Depot?

Author: NoHorses3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251049 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:28 PM
<<The only thing that worked was pouring on bleach, and
then mixing it with abrasive cleanser and scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing with a brush for hours and hours.>>

I surely hope someone has a solution for this as I have the same problem you do, and do the same as you to get rid of the stain (only I don't use a brush; I use a nylon scrubber and LOTS and LOTS of "elbow grease). It takes forever to get the stain off, and then it comes right back...GRRRRRR!!!!

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251052 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:29 PM
Yeah. That should work.

I don't suppose this shower has glass doors on it?

BTW, is someone (like a MIL) judging your shower, or is it just that it grosses you out?

It can't be nearly as bad as TBW's shower. I swear he had new life forms growing it it. (GAG!)

frissy

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251063 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:47 PM
I don't suppose this shower has glass doors on it?

BTW, is someone (like a MIL) judging your shower, or is it just that it grosses you out?

Um, one glass door, one wall of glass. It sits in the corner, why?

I'm the one who's grossed out about it because I'm the one who bought the shower, selected the base and put the damn thing in, and I want it to look good as new. Not like the Valdez oil spill. It should be pristine, sparkling white.

elizabeth

Author: BlondeSwedeMix One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251068 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:50 PM

Try a pool supply store. Muriatic acid is used in pools to increase the acid content if it is too basic.

I'm not sure of the concentration of it, but I have some in my garage, and it rusted out a paint pan that I had laying over the *closed* bottle.

Nate

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251069 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 4:50 PM
<P.P.S. Probably because of "safety issues" I have a horrible time finding Muriatic Acid around here. Any idea where I can find it? >

We used to use it for cleaning artifacts we picked up scuba diving on wrecks in Bermuda. It cleans old bottles really well! you might try asking in a dive shop???

Just a thought,
tuni

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251084 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:14 PM

I know what kind of shower you are talking about, and I guess this is all acrylic, right? Not tile on the walls?

How old is it? It shouldn't be scratched up so badly that it won't clean if it's still relatively new.

frissy

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251088 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:22 PM
I know what kind of shower you are talking about, and I guess this is all acrylic, right? Not tile on the walls?

Frissy, frissy. Let's see if I can paint you a picture of what a typical corner shower, in this case, my Yankee shower, actually looks like. You've got your glass shower door and another glass wall that meet perpendicular to each other. The other two walls are in the corner, which happened to be covered in ceramic tile. I could have put a surround in, but I don't like the looks of them.

There is a base that sits on the floor, and it has a drain in the center of it through which water passes into a trap in the floor, up and out a pipe. The base is secured to the wall and supports the glass shower door and glass wall.

The base is acrylic and it's white with a textured floor. The floor of the base has got a huge dark brown circle that is extremely hard if not almost impossible to get white. I wanted to tile the floor, but because the shower is located on the second floor of my house, that was not really adviseable; hence the stinkin' base. If I ever do this again, I'm going with a colored base. Grrr . . .

elizabeth

Author: gwlim Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251090 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:24 PM
I had one of these kinds of tubs - acrylic with the bumps - in an apartment I lived in. Try Simple Green. Home Depot (K-mart and some grocery stores) carries it. I used a floor brush with Simple Green and got it white again.

Home Depot also carries some other shower cleaners that are pretty good, they also might work. The common brand name stuff in grocery stores (Tilex, Scubbing bubbles, etc) never seemed strong enough to get all the crud off.

Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251094 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:27 PM
I'm going to jump in again with a plug for the once-a-day shower cleaners. They actually work.

-mapletree

Author: BostonKate Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251096 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
Have you tried Comet spray? Specifically Comet, not spray cleaners in general. It took 15 years of dirty-renter grunge off a tub, and the folks over on the OrganizedHome site swear by it. Spray, let it sit for an hour or so, scrub a bit if needed, repeat. (Tilex is basically bleach. If you bleached already, don't bother Tilexing.)

Author: paulfife One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251099 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 5:36 PM
I'll add to the Scrubbing Bubbles recommendation. It's also available in generic "Dollar General" brand too (If you've got those in your area).

I use the daily shower spray too - works great! (Also Dollar General generic)

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251122 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 6:47 PM
I have seen those showers lots in new(er) homes.

The only thing I can suggest is either one of those anti-skid mats to cover it up, or lots and lots of those sticky flowers.

frissy
I wonder if they make any llama shaped ones....

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251166 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 8:36 PM
elizabeth --

I have two suggestions for you, and want to vote against muriatic acid and the green scrubber things someone suggested. In my experience, those green things tend to stain things that pick up stains, so even if it got the current stain off, you'd be left with a green stain. Yuck. The green scrubbers work fine on dishes and such that don't stain. I believe the muriatic would etch acrylic, so that's probably out.

Scrubbing Bubbles is great for soap scum. I doubt it will do much for a real stain.

I have a cultured marble shower pan with the little bumps. Soft Scrub always gets it clean, but you have to scrub. That's my first suggestion, although I suspect that acrylic stains much easier than cultured marble.

Finally, if bleach will remove the stain, you won't need to scrub. Just dampen it with bleach, and check every 20 minutes or so to see if it needs to be re-wet. (Clorox Clean-Up is easy to apply.) I find that if bleach doesn't work, then the thing that will remove the stain, almost every time (are you just dying with anticipation yet?), and I really am astonished that in all those posts no one has told you this, but it's hydrogen peroxide. Get a fresh bottle--H2O2 deteriorates rapidly. You wet the area down with H2O2, and then you have to be patient, patient, patient. H2O2 will remove almost any stain, but it takes a long time. You may scrub if you like, but the main thing is to keep adding fresh H2O2, because as it works, it turns to water or something so you need to refresh it.

H2O2 will even take old blood or juice stains out of clothing, if you are patient enough. Completely out.

Be SURE to wear gloves, though, if you plan to touch it. H2O2 will also remove your skin. It doesn't hurt, so you won't really notice it until tomorrow. :-)

-

Author: thinx2mch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251172 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 8:59 PM
Elizabeth, you can go for trisodium phosphate (TSP). If that doesn't work, I've no clue what will.

++thinx

Author: dejakester Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251173 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 9:04 PM
TSP is pretty good, its cut through all manner of junk, but it isn't very environmentally friendly-phosphates you know. Buy the smallest box you can.

I have used Scrub Free for my bath forever and it works great, but you sound like you have some really nasty stain in there.

I will echo one comment-I think the muratic acid will etch your base even further and make it even harder to clean in the future. Ditto all manner of abrasives and serious scrubbing.

Good luck.

Jakester

Author: allisonclift Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251211 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/1/2002 11:15 PM
Try using "THE WORKS," that is, if it doesn't eat a hole clean through your shower!

Alli

Author: aroach Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251231 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/2/2002 1:15 AM
NO OXYCLEAN . . . TELL ME IT ISN'T SO.

I admit, I haven't been around much, but what's wrong with Oxiclean? Is it the SUV of cleaning products around here?

I don't know how I ever lived without it. A scoop in every load of laundry and all my toddler's clothes look brand new no matter what she grinds into them.

It also did wonders on my carpets in a household of five cats and above-mentioned toddler.

But, I have to admit I was disappointed in the results I got with it on the shower. I recommend The Works bathroom cleaner. The smell will run you out of the house but the stuff works. And it's cheap. I buy it at Wal-Mart and it's in a white spray bottle with a green label.

BTW, I get the pink gunk too and always wondered what it was. I thought it was shampoo and conditioner build-up. Didn't know it was mold. Ugh.

Author: UKBankerBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251338 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/2/2002 5:16 PM
Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/cgi-bin/column?284

UKBB

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251340 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/2/2002 5:26 PM
<<Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/cgi-bin/column?284

UKBB >>

Good article. I also think it's important to use a reasonably dry towle to wipe down the tub, wall surfaces and tile whenever you finish taking a bath or shower. This helps clean these surfaces and allows them to dry rapidly and completely.

Having a lot of moisture in a bathroom is an invitation to trouble.

Also---

Inspect the tile grout or tub surround for leaks, failing grout or other problems that will allow moisture to get behind the wall and start causing adhesives to fail and dry rot in the walls.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: UKBankerBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251343 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/2/2002 5:50 PM
Good article. I also think it's important to use a reasonably dry towle to wipe down the tub, wall surfaces and tile whenever you finish taking a bath or shower. This helps clean these surfaces and allows them to dry rapidly and completely.

I use a squeegee to get most of the water off and my home automation turns on a fan for 2 hours after I leave for work to dry it out. Helps to keep the mildew down.

UKBB

Author: january00 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251529 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/4/2002 9:11 AM
Has anyone tried CLR? I'm considering it, but I have no experience with it as a product. They've got a kitchen and bathroom cleaner, too.

I'm late to the game here, but I tried CLR and I thought it was lousy. I drink Raspberry Crystal Light and splashed a few drops on the counter. I don't know what the heck is in it, but it leaves a stain that's hard to get off. CLR wouldn't take it up at all. I tried a little squirt of a generic 409-type cleaner and it wiped right off. Don't waste your money!

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251801 of 884963
Subject: Re: LBYM solution to shower stains Date: 3/4/2002 11:43 PM
january:

thanks, but CLR isn't designed to remove raspberry stains from the counter top -- its meant to remove calcium lime and rust -- I was hoping it would help take away the water stains and rust in my bathroom -- which it did with ease.

You're right though that it can't be used as a regular household cleaner.

Also, be sure to never mix it with bleach!

CPAScott

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement