UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886519  
Subject: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
At least I am. I'll squeeze a penny until it screams. I had another situation yesterday where I was being a pitbull over a small amount of money.

On Wednesday, I was buying two cabin filters for my vehicles. I had a $5 off coupon on purchases over $25 at Advanced Auto. I get these coupon frequently so I tend to group my purchases to be around $25-$30. When I looked for the cabin filters for each vehicle, there were none on the shelves. I went to the cashier desk to order the filters. The guy looked up the filters (since he didn't trust the filter numbers I had). He said they had one filter in stock for each one. After confirming the filter was not on the shelf (again not believing me), he brought out the filters from the storage shelves in the back. I didn't pay attention (my fault) to him getting the right filters. When I got home, I found he sold me filter 35677 instead of 35667.

Yesterday, I went back to the store to get the right one. They were out of stock. They could get one to the store the next day. They took the wrong filter and refunded my purchase. At that point, I notice the $5 coupon savings was prorated to each filter so the amount on the returned filter was $2.24 less than retail price. I argued that I was going to lose my $2.24 savings when I returned the next day to purchase the right one due to the mistake of their employee. They said since the return was already put through, there was nothing they could do.

I said I had the other filter still in the box in my vehicle. I could also return that filter and they could give me my $5 off coupon back. They didn't want to do that but they finally did through my insistence. It took them several minutes just to find a replacement coupon. The whole process took about 20 minutes and two of their employees time.

They better have the two filters ready for me tonight.

PSU
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869219 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 10:45 AM
I would have kept the wrong filter and told them when they had the right one I would do an exchange at that time.

Lara Amber

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869220 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 10:48 AM
Recommendations: 0
I would have kept the wrong filter and told them when they had the right one I would do an exchange at that time.

That's what I would have done too, because then they could just scan the SKU of the filter being returned and the SKU of the filter being purchased, for the register to total to $0, instead of scanning the original purchase receipt.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869221 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 10:59 AM

Hindsight. They processed the return before I noticed the return amount on the return slip. Also it is not a one-to-one exchange since the filters are not the same price. Yes, it would have been easier to hold on to the wrong filter and then pay the extra $1 plus tax for the right one the next day.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869222 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 11:03 AM
That's what I would have done too, because then they could just scan the SKU of the filter being returned and the SKU of the filter being purchased, for the register to total to $0, instead of scanning the original purchase receipt.

As mentioned earlier, the prices were different. Also the salesman never mentioned that I would lose the coupon amount when he took the sale receipt from me when I showed him the wrong filter. He could have easily said keep the old filter until tomorrow and will take care of the transaction then. Not only did they sell me the wrong one, they unnecessarily complicated their own return process.

PSU

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869224 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 2:54 PM
they unnecessarily complicated their own return process

Which is more to the point of why 2 of us are pointing out for future reference it's better to keep the items and return them when the items you want to purchase are in stock - because not every sales clerk is going to care or might not even know how to handle a return-with-purchase when a coupon was used on the original purchase. Technically the store doesn't even have to "return the coupon" to you (meaning allow you to buy the other item at a discount since you're obviously not getting the actual coupon back) since it's not considered the same as money or store credit.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869228 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 3:41 PM
Which is more to the point of why 2 of us are pointing out for future reference

I am quite capable of figuring it out for myself.

Technically the store doesn't even have to "return the coupon" to you

Technically, you are correct. I'm sure they knew that if they didn't, I would just drive down the road to AutoZone.

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869229 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 11/30/2012 4:08 PM
Recommendations: 7
Well this thread is aptly named.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869527 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 12/12/2012 5:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
Some customers can at some times be a Bigger pain than they are worth to a business.

Kahuna, CFA

Careless or untrained clerks make doing business with some companies very difficult.

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869531 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 12/12/2012 6:20 PM
"I'll squeeze a penny until it screams. I had another situation yesterday where I was being a pitbull over a small amount of money."

We could be twin sons of different mothers! Cheaparses of the world unite!!

Author: bookie71 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869532 of 886519
Subject: Re: LBYMers are a pain in the .... Date: 12/12/2012 8:58 PM
In rwtail, you must remember that customers are profit and employees are overhead.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement