UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Another expose on the credit reporting indus Date: 2/13/2013 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Lea77,

I think part of the problem is a large portion of the population still never checks their credit report. They either just assume they have good credit until told otherwise - or they *know* they've been delinquent and just assume the reason they can't get credit is their own fault. Of course I'm just generalizing - my only evidence to support such an assertion is anecdata - but it would help explain why the number is so high.

Another point is that a credit report actually tends to consist of hundreds of detail reports on dozens of individual trade lines. Yet it only takes one derogatory trade line to ruin an individual's credit.

You wrote, I agree they need to find a better balance on correcting these things. It can't be so easy that anybody can call and change these without documentation or give compan8ies the only say in them - as both parties have motive to lie about who owes who. There should be some way of independently establishing debt.

A better balance might be for more people to just sue them rather than sit back and accept it. Section 15 USC § 1681n - Civil liability for willful noncompliance of the FCRA allows a plaintiff to recover all costs and reasonable attorney's fees along with statutory, plus actual, plus punitive damages. This potentially is a better outcome than if you were suing for liable. If you have a *clear* case of the CRAs ignoring the evidence, you shouldn't hesitate to sue ... unless of course the reported error just isn't material enough to affect your credit. If it costs them enough, they'd change.

Of course part of the problem is that people with poor credit often lack the resources to fight a protracted legal battle on their own dime. So if anything needs to be done, it's probably that some group or agency needs to organize a group of law firms that take on the worst of such cases with little or no up-front financial commitment by the client.

Along the same line, it would be nice if the FTC would sue or could fine them for such mistakes. Or maybe Congress needs to expand the CFPB's mission to go after CRAs for systemic violations, since it appears the FTC has little real interest in it.

BTW, there are still errors on my own report(s) - so I'm technically one of the 20%. As of 6 months ago, I had no material errors; but the agencies insist on reporting prior addresses that were never mine.

One is the address of a bank. In that case I had had the bank deliver all of my mail to a local branch because I had documented the theft of mail from my mailbox. The bank itself did not report the address; but they had out-sourced the servicing of my credit card account to Citibank and they insist I lived there. The other address is my ex mother-in-law's. That's the address my ex forwarded her mail to when she left. Unfortunately the tax district forwarded my mail there too and while I eventually got them to change it back, the CRAs insist her address is now a prior of mine.

Actually once reported, I suspect the CRAs don't have a method of correcting this type of error. I've found no evidence that they actually re-query the creditor - even after I figure out who reported it and contact the creditor. I used to get really upset over it; but I've realized it only affects their stupid online identity verification services and doesn't actually lower my score. So as long as I kind of remember these addresses, I can pass the identity verification tests - even though the "correct" answers are lies.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement