UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pllntooz Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Leadership Bios Date: 9/30/2008 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Hi all,

Over on the "Ask the Stock Advisor Team" discssion board, bikenboard
asked a great question about researching a company's leadership. Do
we currently have a template for corporate executives that essentially
become that persons Flossary resume ?

Some of the links mentioned in that thread are also great resources to
post on a page about how to research people:

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyOfficers
http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html

I'll start a page along these lines tonight after I get home from work
(I wish I could my company to pay me to edit Flossary all day long :)
unless someone else has the time today.

Also, given that bikenboard is about to embark upon corporate
executive research, I recommend he get an invite, provided he meets
whatever other criteria is required to join this addictive community :)
That way he can post all his research right into Flossary.

Paul
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 9/30/2008 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Paul,

This is a great idea, and a potentially valuable and additional, differentiating edge that Flossary can bring -- acquainting investors with the management of companies, and tracking how long (and where) those managers are at companies. Jus' sayin'. Fool on. --David

P.S. I expect TMFMoby will extend that invite next time we send 'em off.

Author: TMFBiologyFool Three stars, 500 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 9/30/2008 10:50 AM
Recommendations: 1
I don't want to discourage this (I think it would be a useful source of information), but if we insert time sensitive info into Flossary, we'll need to be mindful that it will need to be updated. I guess keeping track of the pages and assigning them to a monitor (similar to board strollers) might work.

-Brian

Author: pllntooz Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 9/30/2008 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hi,

While I agree entering time-sensitive information can cause some pain, in general executives tend to stay at their companies for a while (recent CEO of Merrill Lynch not withstanding :)
Additionally, TMF (and correct me here if I'm mistaken) appears to encourage "knowing your management". Therefore, I think it's safe to say that when a manager leaves a company, some Fool somewhere is going to know abouit and at the very least mention it on one of the discussion boards. If there's a Flossary editor on every discussion board, this knowledge should get picked up fairly quickly. Additionally, there could be a mailing list or discussion board (this one even) where those who are not editors could join the discussion and mention to the editors that an update is needed.

Somewhat like I did with the broken link I found the other day. I mentioned it on the 'Ask the SA Team' board, and someone there forwarded it off to HQ...

And, if anyone watch Wikipedia during the Scooter Libby trials, you witnessed first hand how fast they got their pages updated. I think we can do the same :)

Paul

Author: TMFBomb Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 9/30/2008 12:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
Great idea, Paul!

Management is one of the hardest aspects of a company for new (and long-time) investors to assess. Anything we can do to help the process on Flossary is a good thing!

Regarding updating information on management...I'd look at the need to update data as a strength rather than a weakness...as our Flossary community grows (with great references like bikenboard), we'll be able to keep each other updated on the latest corporate changes.

-A

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 10/1/2008 8:51 PM
Hi all -- We think people are just as important as investing terms and company descriptions. The stories of management, notable investors, and other key financial people will definitly be important to readers as they make financial decisions. Even though it's still very underdeveloped, you can see the potential of each company page by checking out the Netflix page:
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/Netflix

We don't yet have a template yet, but it's going to be really close to a normal term page. Obviously "Expanded Definition" is not good for people, even though I used it on my Reed Hastings starter page back in August:
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/Reed_Hastings

Regarding timeliness Paul nailed it:
some Fool somewhere is going to know

In fact, that should almost be our tagline. :) We strongly believe the Foolish community is more active and knowledgeable than any. As events occur, it only takes one Fool to see it and be willing to add to our knowledgebase.

Another point related to Paul's post:
Additionally, there could be a mailing list or discussion board (this one even) where those who are not editors could join the discussion and mention to the editors that an update is needed.

You're ahead of the curve once again Paul. :) Non-editor contributions (via boards of some flavor) will help us keep our eyes open for pages needing improvement and will help us find new member editors.

David G and the rest of the team are very bullish on a board for each page, and we're looking at the best way to implement this given our current boards software, which is a bit outdated. Something like this is coming in a future iteration, though it will come after the public launch.

Jeremy

Author: pllntooz Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 425 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 10/2/2008 7:02 AM
Hi Jeremy,

David G and the rest of the team are very bullish on a board for each page

I like the idea, but it seems like it could grow very unwieldy very quickly. Perhaps a board per category might be better, or specialized boards for things like 'Companies', 'Terms', 'HOW-TOs', 'Problems/Corrections', 'General Discussion', etc. just to keep it manageable. It's not unreasonable to think that have hundreds of thousands of pages. We have already started 4,764 pages. That would you'd have to have 4,764 discussion boards? And we had 1 board per company that is listed on CAPS, what would that number be? Not to mention the duplication of boards:
- 1 company board per TMF newsletter which recommends that pick
- 1 company board in the Public Discussion area
- 1 company board on Flossary

If 3 TMF newsletters recommend the same company, I assume you have 3 company boards for that company? Or does the software allow you to link
the TMF newsletter company boards together and there is only one of those, but we each see it from our entry point newsletter ?

Just some thoughts there. I see many ways to skin this cat that won't lead to such duplication or such resource requirements for TMF.
(Remember, each discussion board requires storage space on a server some somewhere, increased server requirements, more database overhead, etc. All of that requires increased bandwidth and increased electricity and cooling which costs some serious money these days. And all of that requires people to manage it. And THAT isn't cheap either :)

, and we're looking at the best way to implement this given our current boards software, which is a bit outdated.

Oh, you guys are already working on this. I'll shut up now :)

Something like this is coming in a future iteration, though it will come after the public launch.

Very cool! Do we have a date for the public launch yet? Or is there a minimum state TMF wants the Flossary to be at before the announcement?

Keep up with great work Jeremy!
Paul (who's sysadmin experience is going to get him in trouble one of these days :)

Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 444 of 597
Subject: Re: Leadership Bios Date: 10/14/2008 5:20 PM
Do we have an agreed upon category name for Leadership Bios? I've written a few of these and wasn't sure where to put 'em.

I've put them under Notable Executives....

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement