UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ClubJuggle Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Where was your money slipping out? Date: 1/30/2001 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Leak #1: The Dollar Store
Here in Philadelphia we have tons of them. I've become the Dollar Store Diva in the last year or so. I know which stores are best for what items. But I have to remember that it is not much of a bargain if I overspend or buy things I don't have a pressing need for at the moment.

Eek! Living near Philadelphia myself, I know the feeling! There's one within walking distance of my home, and another within walking distance of my office! I tend to go there for cleaning supplies and the like but fall into the "while I'm here" trap more often than I'd like to admit.

Sigh! It's so hard to be multitalented. Budgeting for hobbies (cake decorating, picture framing, scrapbooking and photography) is hard especially when you see things in the Michael's (craft store) discount isle. As a former complusive bargain shopper it's still hard to pass up a good deal.

Neat hobbies! One possibility that you may not have thought of here, is turning a negative cash-flow item into a positive one. Have you considered possibly selling seom of your craft work? This could potentially pay for the costs of making what you sell, plus the supplies for what you make for your own personal enjoyment.

It doesn't seem like I spend that much.(smile) In fact in the last year I've been dropped buy a few clubs because I didn't buy often enough. (Columbia Music Club and Black Expressions book club gave up on me. Oh well. Their loss!) The book of the month clubs are especially tempting. Now I only have one music club membership and five book club memberships: Book-of-the-month, Crossings, Book and Cook, Crafter's Choice and the Literary Guild. Can you tell I love books? No wonder I want to go to grad school so I can be a librarian.

Wow, sounds like you're quite an avid reader! I think you're a bit luckier than I am here... my local library is about the size of the one at my elementary school... maybe the junior high at best.

-Terry
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement