No. of Recommendations: 1
For people who have lived in CO for awhile, maybe you've hit this. I sold a rental property in Steamboat and the closing was 12/31/2013. I kind of forgot property taxes are paid in arrears. Also, I do read all the documents and really didn't take in the "all tax settlements are considered final" one.

For anything that closes late in the year, the taxes are estimated based on the previous bill. The bottom line is that I overpaid by........50% !

The good news is that it was only about $200 which is not much to pay for the learning experience and it could have happened in my favor at another point in time.

I made close to 50% on my investment in 18 months on this one(much thanks to my realtor/friend/neighbor and a bad ski season when I was bored) so meh but I did want to give others a heads up so you might not have a similar and more expensive learning experience.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement