Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cowdogman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121351  
Subject: Leaving Money to a 529 Plan Date: 10/19/2001 7:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My parents' will provides that I share equally with my siblings in the division of their property. That proprty consists in material part of IRAs, my share of the distribution from which will be taxed to me. My share pretax will probably be significantly less than $100,000.

I am wondering whether it would tax advantageous to ask my parents to skip me and leave the money to my child's 529 plan (owned by me). Would this be considered a bequest to my child or to me? If to my child, would the IRA portion of the bequest be taxable at his federal tax margin or mine?

Any thoughts?

Brad
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54713 of 121351
Subject: Re: Leaving Money to a 529 Plan Date: 10/19/2001 7:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
First of all, you aren't taxed on an inheritance. Your parents are. If the whole estate is less that the exempt amount there's no tax. (The exemption is $1,000,000 in 2002 and increasing thereafter, for a while)
I believe that makes your questions meaningless. Except that the IRA is taxed as part of the estate and then taxed to the beneficiary when the money is withdrawn.

Author: spongebrain2 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55013 of 121351
Subject: Re: Leaving Money to a 529 Plan Date: 11/5/2001 12:49 PM
I think this is a great idea.
They can reduce their estate by $100k in one shot.
Plus all growth is TAX FREE, even at withdrawl.

also, Matt Tuttle said this to me earlier:

The law changed this year. Withdrawls are now TAX FREE. A couple of
things your parents could do:

1. fund a 529 for the kids
2. pay directly to the college for their education---if done this way
there is no gift tax
3. make leveraged gifts to a dynasty trust funded with a life insurance
policy. This could avoid estate taxes at every generational level and
turn $1 million into $1 billion. This is how the Kennedys do it.

Did you do this?
Let me know, I think its a good idea.!

Author: cowdogman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55135 of 121351
Subject: Re: Leaving Money to a 529 Plan Date: 11/10/2001 10:53 AM
Charlie:

I think you figured out the point of my question by the time you got to your second paragraph (but I wonder why you didn't go back to recast your initial incorrect answer). The inherited IRA money would be taxed at my bracket--it would not be tax free or taxed at the estate level.

So, the question still stands: Is leaving the money to a 529 plan a successful way to have the IRA amounts taxed in the 529 beneficiary's lower bracket?

Brad

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement